Building my first PC. What's everyone's opinion on the specs?.

So, I recently inherited a lil bit of money and decided to invest in a proper PC since I'm currently using an ASUS K53E Laptop from like 8 years ago with an ancient Celeron processor and the good old HD4000 graphics. (Yes I've been gaming on it, not fun). 

I've gone real cheap on this becuase I still want to have some money left over, in total it cost under €400. (I already have a monitor, mouse and Keyboard) Heres the specs. 

• Intel Core i5 4690 CPU (LGA 1150)
  • AIGO Darkflash Shadow CPU Cooler.
  • Gigabyte GA B85M D3V M-ATX MOBO
  • XFX RX 470 4GB Black Edition GPU
  • 16GB Killisre DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (2x8)
  • GameMax Kage Case
  • Corsair VS450 PSU
  • 1TB 3.5" HDD
  • 256GB Kingston SSD
  • 6x120mm RGB fans (3 front, 2 top, 1 rear)

Please let me know if I've made any compatibility errors or just stupid decisions that will lead to badness. (That crappy CPU Cooler is temporary btw). If they sound like Cheap AliExpress components it's because they are. I'm building this expecting to run into a few problems, just hopefully no problems that are too expensive to fix. I also haven't looked to see if the motherboard has an RGB header for the fans but I assume it doesnt. I'll look for a way around that maybe, maybe not. Just got RGB because it looks cool, wouldnt be too bummed if it didnt work.

What do ye think? Keep in mind it's my first build so I'd appreciate anything in regard to tips or stuff that ye can give me. Thanks!

you did okay for 400 euros but the quad core won't do to great for many games besides csgo and less demanding games

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 minutes ago, 14RMH said:
  • Corsair VS450 PSU
  •  

if you plan to use this PSU for extensive future upgrades, consider a CX450 instead

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, 14RMH said:

Corsair VS450 PSU

Did you buy this yet?  It's not the worst pick for a cheap psu, but if you list where you were looking to buy it we can check as there may be a more quality / ideal power supply available for not much more cost (that way if you decide to get a bigger GPU down the road, you won't have to get a new PSU, or run into stability issues).

24 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

if you plan to use this PSU for extensive future upgrades, consider a CX450 instead

I would go CX550M personally.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

39 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why would anyone not start there? It’s pretty much the default these days for any  even halfway gaming PC.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's a good choice but for a bare bones PC on a shoestring budget it's hard not to go with the cheaper option

Plus the CX450 does a lot, despite only one 8 pin PCIe connector.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Are there 2nd hand parts on that list or do you buy it as new (doubt it...)? Where do you live?

i would absolutely recommend going for the AM4 plattform and a ryzen CPU, that way you can buy a cheap one now and upgrade later.

Agree on AM4. Having 'experienced' the HD4000-performance even the Ryzen 2200g iGP will be impressive to you, so you may start with igp and add a discrete GPU later on.

3 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Did you buy this yet?  It's not the worst pick for a cheap psu, but if you list where you were looking to buy it we can check as there may be a more quality / ideal power supply available for not much more cost (that way if you decide to get a bigger GPU down the road, you won't have to get a new PSU, or run into stability issues).

Unfortunately all these components had been bought at the time of posting. I guess I wont be upgrading for a while though, unless I get shockingly bad mileage out of the CPU but hopefully not. By then I should have the money for a new PSU.

3 hours ago, Thinkfreely said:

My only critique is I would go with the AM4 platform so you have upgrade options.

1 hour ago, Sir0Tek said:

Agree on AM4. Having 'experienced' the HD4000-performance even the Ryzen 2200g iGP will be impressive to you, so you may start with igp and add a discrete GPU later on.

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

i would absolutely recommend going for the AM4 plattform and a ryzen CPU, that way you can buy a cheap one now and upgrade later.

Thanks for the replies lads, Yeah I figured the AM4 Motherboard was a lot more compatible with stuff and heard AMD was more reasonably priced in general but i read that certain AMD CPUs work better with certain types/(chipsets?) Of motherboards, It kinda confused me, I found the intel LGA sockets a lot easier to understand as a newcomer, (although if I researched the Ryzens first I could be saying the same thing about them). Surprisingly the LGA1150 Mobo and CPU bought was cheaper than any AM4 Mobo and CPU I could find so that was probably the main factor for going intel. Also I start college soon (Animation) and I just really need a somewhat decent CPU straight off so if I upgrade it's not out of necessity.

So, 2nd hand mostly, isn't it? Parts aren't too bad (hey, I still have the i5 2400 here...). I often buy memory 2nd hand, ddr3 is awfully cheap here and I can't wait for ddr5 to show up putting more pressure on prices for ddr4...

11 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

So, 2nd hand mostly, isn't it? Parts aren't too bad (hey, I still have the i5 2400 here...). I often buy memory 2nd hand, ddr3 is awfully cheap here and I can't wait for ddr5 to show up putting more pressure on prices for ddr4...

MOBO, CPU and GPU is second hand yeah. RAM is actually new just real cheap. I'm in ireland and here we have a company Called CeX which has cheap pc parts and games, there i got my HDD and SSD which are both new. Together they were €50 including shipping. The case also was new for €31 w free shipping on amazon, it was on a special deal or something. Really good deal imo considering it can fit a full size ATX Mobo in there and came standard with ARGB hub & Water cooling capabilities (both features personally out of my price range but handy for the future.) Everything else is new.