Mech keyboard

MG2R

Looking for a mechanical keyboard. Right now I'm using a K90. I have two problems with it:

• red switches suck for typing
  • firmware/software is crappy as hell, keys just randomly start repeating sometimes

I would like something to replace the keyboard with. Problem is, I don't know a lot of brands when it comes to keyboards.

What I'm looking for in the new keyboard:

• backlight, nothing fancy, if it makes my keys visible in the dark, it's fine
  • (dedicated) play/pause, next and prev song; mute would be nice as well
  • volume wheel would be nice, not mandatory
  • build like a rock, if I can't use it to defend myself during a zombie apocalypse, it's useless to me
  • either blue or brown switches, have not decided yet
  • preferably tenkeyless, I don't use the numberpad anyways
  • macro keys would be nice, although I'll probably end up not using them at all...

I love the build quality and ID of my K90. The aluminium back plate with the floating switches makes my jaw drop everytime I see it. I just hate the corsair software and the fact that their firmware doesn't really play nice without drivers and a special USB port to support the higher than standard polling rate. I know I don't want reds anymore, as I hate having no tactile feedback. I haven't used any other switch, so I find it hard to decide on blue vs. brown.

Cheaper is better, but I don't mind spending extra for a keyboard that can last for years, I have a hard time switching peripherals or anything I touch on a regular basis, so I'd like to keep my keyboard for a long time.

The K70 is amazing and has everything but Macros and Tenkeyless but is amazing! (The blues version)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

The K70 is amazing and has everything but Macros and Tenkeyless but is amazing! (The blues version)

Ducky Shine III MX Brown White LED ($150)

Both good options.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

CM Storm keyboards are very solidly built, but they don't have a backlight ten keyless design. Most of the time they don't have dedicated media keys, but their media key implementation is good nonetheless 

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Gigabyte makes a pretty solid keyboard. It's not 10keyless though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

CM Storm keyboards are very solidly built, but they don't have a backlight ten keyless design. Most of the time they don't have dedicated media keys, but their media key implementation is good nonetheless 

This. I own one. It's great. 

The only thing I hate (that's relevant to you) is the Function keys. They are media keys and backlight management keys, but you have to toggle a Fn button to actually use F1-F12. Which involves holding the Fn button for 3 seconds. :|

Otherwise, I'd say it's perfect for you from what you need. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This. I own one. It's great. 

The only thing I hate is the Function keys. They are media keys and backlight management keys, but you have to toggle a Fn button to actually use F1-F12. 

They aren't the worst I have seen, but aren't amazing.

But the build quality, as he can say as well, is amazing. While trying the flex test Linus does, I WRENCHED on the keyboard to make it move like <1 in. Also, some of their keyboards come with Green switches as an option, which is what I have and love. Blues are just too light for me.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I would get either a ducky or a filco, both make very good 10key less.

I've got the Ducky year of the dragon cherry mx blue and it is pretty much the shine 2/3 but limited and I love it and it's awesomness. The esc key is ultra sensitive though, i'm trying to fix that..

Wait, what do you mean they suck for typing? I'm thinking about getting a K70 with reds, and I'll type on it a lot.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Logitech G710+

Isn't really cheap, but it is amazing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126299

I've checked it out, but it's extremely pasticy. Also, the flex on that thing is just not acceptable, for as far as Linus' video showed. Also, tho put it in his words: "the overall construction feels very good, but not quite that you could kill a man with it." ==> not zombie apocalypse proof.

Also, did I mention it's glossy? That's an absolute buzzkill for me.

Yes, but I'd still have the software issues bugging me, no? I once heard a rumor about Corsair implementing some switch to put the keyboard in legacy mode or something like that, so it plays nice with BIOSes. Don't know if it's actually true, but that sounds like it would help with the buggy firmware.

They aren't the worst I have seen, but aren't amazing.

But the build quality, as he can say as well, is amazing. While trying the flex test Linus does, I WRENCHED on the keyboard to make it move like <1 in. Also, some of their keyboards come with Green switches as an option, which is what I have and love. Blues are just too light for me.

Now, I am a heavy typer. It happens to me daily that I accidently press a key because I let my hand rest on the keys too much. Maybe greens would be great for me. Are they tactile?

I would get either a ducky or a filco, both make very good 10key less.

I've got the Ducky year of the dragon cherry mx blue and it is pretty much the shine 2/3 but limited and I love it and it's awesomness. The esc key is ultra sensitive though, i'm trying to fix that..

I'm afraid both of them are pretty hard to get here in Belgium...

Wait, what do you mean they suck for typing? I'm thinking about getting a K70 with reds, and I'll type on it a lot.

From the moment I got my reds, I've regretted ever buying my K90. I type quite badly with reds.

I've checked it out, but it's extremely pasticy. Also, the flex on that thing is just not acceptable, for as far as Linus' video showed. Also, tho put it in his words: "the overall construction feels very good, but not quite that you could kill a man with it." ==> not zombie apocalypse proof.

Yes, but I'd still have the software issues bugging me, no? I once heard a rumor about Corsair implementing some switch to put the keyboard in legacy mode or something like that, so it plays nice with BIOSes. Don't know if it's actually true, but that sounds like it would help with the buggy firmware.

Now, I am a heavy typer. It happens to me daily that I accidently press a key because I let my hand rest on the keys too much. Maybe greens would be great for me. Are they tactile?

From the moment I got my reds, I've regretted ever buying my K90. I type quite badly with reds.

Are they mushy or what?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Tactile and Clicky. Same as blues, just heavier.

After seeing Logan's video on the CM Storn Quick Fire TK Stealth just now, I think I'm sold. The moment I heard the words "metal plate", I fell in love :P

I can't seem to find them in greens anywhere in Europe, though :/

Amazon.ca does seem to carry them. Shipping costs will probably be through the roof, though.

You know it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Oh well that sucks, and if the back light isn't required that keyboard looks pretty good, cooler master usually tries to put their brand all over the products they make, this board is stealthy!

Now you've got me thinking about getting a new keyboard even though I don't need one :P

if the back light isn't required that keyboard looks pretty good, cooler master usually tries to put their brand all over the products they make, this board is stealthy!

You talking about the quickfire stealth? I thought it had a backlight :o thanks for pointing that out. I guess that's off the table then.

Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate Edition fits.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

If the purchase isn't super urgent, CM are releasing their backlit 'intelligent' TKL board in Q1 i believe so it may be worth waiting for that.

@tmcclelland455 - I have reds and I often make typing mistakes, they keys are very easy to press so catching the edge of an unintended key often results in a  key press where it may not have done on blues etc.

I think mechanicalkeyboards.com ship internationally.

I've never ordered from them (so can't say if there's something wrong that I'm not
aware of), but their catalog is pretty extensive, there might be something in there
for you. They even have those nice metal housings for modding your keyboard

into the definite zombie killer. :D

Also, while their website looks like it's still living in the 90's, keyboardco.com have

a pretty large selection as well, are based in the UK and seem to ship internationally
too (no idea how good the shop is though).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I guess I found my keyboard :P Thanks!

<two stores>

I thank you :)

They even have those nice metal housings for modding your keyboard

into the definite zombie killer. :D

Can't seem to find those :(

They do have these. Maybe, I should just change out the switches in my K90 and be done with it?