Direct X Errors in COD Modern Warfare and Apex

Hey guys,

So i just built a new pc and for some reason i can't player the new Cod and Apex Legends at all on it without them crashing with a direct X error.

I've tried all the mentions that i can find online - I have the latest NVIDIA drivers tried to make sure all my other drivers are up to date (and tried uninstalling and reinstalling them), tried deleting and reinstalling direct X 12, but no matter what i seem to try i cant get these games to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on anything else i could try/ what could be likely culprits? I'm struggling here and it's really starting to bug me as i can't play either game without getting crashes.

I've attached a dxdiag of my system incase anyone would like to know what I have: DxDiag.txt

Any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated!! If i can give any other info that would be of use please do let me know.

Edit: so somehow it has actually managed to get worse and now the only two other games that i've played so far on my new pc (escape from tarkov and halo reach) have also crashed today ???

Do you have any kind of in-game overlay for origin/battle.net/nvidia control panel? Idk about nvidia but the new AMD drivers have an overlay that was giving me a directx error and crash on modern warfare every time.  Also I know you reinstalled drivers and directx but what about the games? Could try verifying files/reinstalling, I'd at least try that before probing further

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

11 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

Do you have any kind of in-game overlay for origin/battle.net/nvidia control panel? Idk about nvidia but the new AMD drivers have an overlay that was giving me a directx error and crash on modern warfare every time.  Also I know you reinstalled drivers and directx but what about the games? Could try verifying files/reinstalling, I'd at least try that before probing further

There is an overlay feature for nvidia experience which im not sure if i have turned off or not, so i'll have a look at that and post back tonight when i've done so!

Reg. verifying files/reinstalling though, with modern warfare i have tried the scan and repair feature on battle.net a couple times but that didnt work. One thing i haven't done is tried reinstalling either of the games - i hadnt done it with modern warfare as i think the games something like 110gb, but i'll try reinstalling Apex then as it's a smaller game and see if that works for it.

I should also note that theres a bit on the Activision website where it says that modern warfare is known to conflict with MSI afterburner and NZXT cams which i use both of - closing both of these before running the game did make a bit of a difference but i still get the same crashes, and cant finish a full game on modern warfare without getting a direct X crash at some point, and sometimes i get glitchy graphical artifacts as well when in game up until it crashes.

Ive also rest my clock speeds back to default.

Apex is even worse, in that it just crashes randomly when im in the menus and stuff before i even load into a game.

Does it only happen in these two games? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my ram despite running flawlessly in memtest64

4 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

Does it only happen in these two games? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my ram despite running flawlessly in memtest64

yeah i mean i've only played a handful of other games on my new pc so far though, the other two being halo reach and escape from tarkov and these run perfectly (although halo reach maybe isnt a very good comparison anyways).

What was the issue that you had with your ram?

Not sure what the problem was exactly, I just switched out for a newer kit (despite the old kit working fine on an old mobo so i guess just an incompatibility?). I had direct x crashes in modern warfare without fail but memtest ran fine. However, other games crashed as well and if this isn’t the case for you then it’s probably not your ram. 

Edited by CGraham
dont know how to delete reply

4 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

Not sure what the problem was exactly, I just switched out for a newer kit (despite the old kit working fine on an old mobo so i guess just an incompatibility?). I had direct x crashes in modern warfare without fail but memtest ran fine. However, other games crashed as well and if this isn’t the case for you then it’s probably not your ram. 

ah right yeah i specifically know that my RAM is compatible with my mobo cause i checked when i got it, and one of my mates also has the same RAM and mobo. Cheers for bringing it up though none the less!

18 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

yeah i already actually have the nvidia experience overlay turned off! I'll try reinstalling Apex but i get the feeling that that might not make a difference seeing as i'm having direct x errors in modern warfare as well

Using another monitor?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Using another monitor?

what do you mean? i have two monitors but only have one turned on while playing

9 minutes ago, CGraham said:

what do you mean? i have two monitors but only have one turned on while playing

As in you turn it off? 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

As in you turn it off? 

Yes i have one monitor turned on, the other turned off

Just now, CGraham said:

Yes i have one monitor turned on, the other turned off

So in the nvidia panel it’s disabled or just hit the power button?

Known issue that having another monitor causes the crash. Not sure if it’s fixed but one of the last patches on cod caused it on mine. Just unplugged it as it was fine. Plugged it back in on next boot and it has happened since. 

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So in the nvidia panel it’s disabled or just hit the power button?

Known issue that having another monitor causes the crash. Not sure if it’s fixed but one of the last patches on cod caused it on mine. Just unplugged it as it was fine. Plugged it back in on next boot and it has happened since. 

I havent disabled it in nvidia control panel (how do i do that?), i just hit the power button. Doesnt seem like its active in the nvidia control panel just now to me?  the display i use for gaming is the AOC one:

image.png

Okay so somehow it's actually managed to get worse and now escape from tarkov has crashed twice today and halo reach just crashed the now as well ??? this is what i got on halo:           image.png.5c57e879d8aa670b98ae0d14eb816862.png

Maybe try an older driver. Like from a couple months ago maybe. 

I guess I should have asked this first, but are you running any overclocks/is your GPU factory overclocked?  Is your RAM or CPU being overclocked automatically in the bios? You can try reverting any of these and see if that helps.  Run any available windows updates and as stated above you can definitely try reverting video drivers.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

22 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Maybe try an older driver. Like from a couple months ago maybe. 

Tried this and then Apex ran perfectly fine which is progress, but I can't even load into a modern warfare game at all now cause i just get a direct x error saying that i should be on the most recent nvidia driver

Yea you have to have the minimum version for cod. Doesn’t need to be the latest. Just what ever one was released for that game. 

39 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea you have to have the minimum version for cod. Doesn’t need to be the latest. Just what ever one was released for that game. 

actually yeah my bad, although i've now just tried the modern warfare game ready ready driver, and a slightly new one, and i still get the same direct x crashes with these as before :/

1 minute ago, CGraham said:

actually yeah my bad, although i've now just tried the modern warfare game ready ready driver, and a slightly new one, and i still get the same direct x crashes with these as before :/

Well like I said I had that but just unplugged the other monitor and it was fine. 

But you can check the integrity of the game on the blizzard app. 

22 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

I guess I should have asked this first, but are you running any overclocks/is your GPU factory overclocked?  Is your RAM or CPU being overclocked automatically in the bios? You can try reverting any of these and see if that helps.  Run any available windows updates and as stated above you can definitely try reverting video drivers.

yeah i've checked and all my clock speeds are as default, and i've tried reverting to a couple different drivers now and i still get crashes with al of them. im also completley up to date with windows updates

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Well like I said I had that but just unplugged the other monitor and it was fine. 

But you can check the integrity of the game on the blizzard app. 

yeah cheers but i've unplugged my other monitor and this is still what i'm getting, i've also already tried doing the scan and repair feature on the game several times

Guess you can narrow it down. If cod is the only game giving the issue, googling that would yield a result. 

Thats how i fixed my game anyway. But you’d need to be certain that’s the only time it does it.