"The Beast" - Threadripper 3990X buil

LED_Guy

It's been a few years since my last build and time for an upgrade.

Thread updated after attending CES

CPU:               Dual Xeon Platinum 8280 Threadripper 3990X

Mobo:             Asus C621E Sage ROG Zenith II Extreme

GPU:               NVidia Quadro RTX 6000 (optional 2nd GPU Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti)

RAM:               256GB DDR4  (Nemix 3200 MHz ECC)

PSU:                Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 Titanium Corsair HX1200i

Boot:               1TB Samsing 970 Pro 2x 512GB Samsung 980 Pro (if available in time)

Data:               2x 2TB Samsung 860 Evo

Cooling:         TBD

WiFi:               TBD

Case:              Custom wall mount wood or ?????? InWin 925

NAS:               4x4TB WD black My Cloud (RAID 1)

This is primarily for work.  I do ray trace optical design.  Unfortunately the software doesn't take advantage of GPU acceleration.  Depending on complexity, a simulation may require 10's to >100 of GB of RAM.  Optimization may require hundreds of iterations.

I also do thermal management design (CFD/CHT) using SolidWorks and SolidWorks Flow Simulation.  This does take advantage of GPU acceleration, hence the Quadro.

I also create custom monte carlo simulations.  I write the software myself and the extreme number of cores and the RAM make it easy (or at least quick).

Edited by LED_Guy
Update after attending CES2020

Comments and suggestions on components other than the mobo, CPU and GPU (Quadro) are welcome.  The GPU(s) will probably be mounted off the mobo using riser cables.

This is my inspiration for a custom wall mount system.  I won't rule out a purchased case, but anything that is designed for an EEB mobo tends to be massive.

Comments on cooling options for an FCLGA3647 socket are welcome as well.  There doesn't seem to be a lot out there.  AIO options would be nice, but I think those may be just about non-existent.

These are about all I have been able to find so far.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-announcing-the-annihilator-ex-ep-server-grade-cpu-block/

https://www.primochill.com/products/bykski-cpu-skylake-e-cpu-water-cooling-block-black-lga-3647-skylake

36 minutes ago, LED_Guy said:

Comments and suggestions on components other than the mobo, CPU and GPU (Quadro) are welcome.

So basically just SSD, PSU and cooling ?

If money if not a concern then stick with 970 Pro, otherwise i'd get ADATA SX8200 Pro or Corsair MP510 (and dozen of other options).

Also, 1kW PSU will not be enough for 2x 250W GPUs and 2x 600 350W CPUs. Get Corsair AX1600i.

Hmm, my 600W claim on CPU are based on this review :
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cascade-lake-xeon-platinum-8280-8268-gold-6230-amd-epyc,6058-6.html

But these numbers are weird, looks like that's absolute peak power draw observed, i.e transient peak power draw, so it's more like 350-400W, still, 1kW isn't enough for this build and since you're already buying 10k$+ PC, there's no cheaping out on the PSU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, LED_Guy said:

I also create custom monte carlo simulations.  I write the software myself and the extreme number of cores and the RAM make it easy (or at least quick).

Wouldnt the Epyc 7452 64 core CPUs be of consideration then in a dualsocket system?

Im less wellhearsed in the realm of serverhardware, but unless you are AVX 512 dependant. That seems to be a better chips to buy. Even if the coreclock is a bit lower. 

Edit: it also allows you to use TR4 cooling solutions. Which are easier to get a hold of.

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Wouldnt the Epyc 7452 64 core CPUs be of consideration then in a dualsocket system?

Yeah i'd personally be looking at Epyc or Threadripper builds. 

2 of those Xeon Platinum 8280's is about $15-$18 thousand dollars for 56C/112T of performance. 

The new 3990X will be 64C/128T and probably around $3000. It will functional as a single Numa node so no inter-node memory latency like on dual socket xeons, supports more memory, has considerably more PCI-e lane bandwidth....honestly i'd wait for the 3990X 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Juular said:

So basically just SSD, PSU and cooling ?

If money if not a concern then stick with 970 Pro, otherwise i'd get ADATA SX8200 Pro or Corsair MP510 (and dozen of other options).

Also, 1kW PSU will not be enough for 2x 250W GPUs and 2x 600 350W CPUs. Get Corsair AX1600i.

Hmm, my 600W claim on CPU are based on this review :
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cascade-lake-xeon-platinum-8280-8268-gold-6230-amd-epyc,6058-6.html

But these numbers are weird, looks like that's absolute peak power draw observed, i.e transient peak power draw, so it's more like 350-400W, still, 1kW isn't enough for this build and since you're already buying 10k$+ PC, there's no cheaping out on the PSU.

Interesting about the power draw for the xeons.  They are supposed to be 205W chips and that report is suggesting a heck of a lot more.  I'll have to look into that - thanks!!!

The second GPU card is an option, still rethinking the PSU seems to be in order.

As for the storage, I chose Samsung because I'm familiar with the product and they have some awesome reliability numbers.  Still it might be worth looking around again.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Im less wellhearsed in the realm of serverhardware, but unless you are AVX 512 dependant. That seems to be a better chips to buy. Even if the coreclock is a bit lower. 

Edit: it also allows you to use TR4 cooling solutions. Which are easier to get a hold of.

Please read OP - comments on CPU are not welcome.  I have access to Intel employee pricing (no I'm not actually an Intel employee).  I will pay less for those xeons than a pair of Epyc CPUs.

I am not going to deal with the Intel vs AMD drama.

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

Yeah i'd personally be looking at Epyc or Threadripper builds. 

2 of those Xeon Platinum 8280's is about $15-$18 thousand dollars for 56C/112T of performance. 

The new 3990X will be 64C/128T and probably around $3000. It will functional as a single Numa node so no inter-node memory latency like on dual socket xeons, supports more memory, has considerably more PCI-e lane bandwidth....honestly i'd wait for the 3990X 

Honestly I would say read the original post.  I specifically said comments about CPU are not welcome.

Also you don't really know my applications, so thanks but no thanks.  Let's keep this polite and to the point OK?

1 minute ago, LED_Guy said:

Please read OP - comments on CPU are not welcome.  I have access to Intel employee pricing (no I'm not actually an Intel employee).  I will pay less for those xeons than a pair of Epyc CPUs.

I am not going to deal with the Intel vs AMD drama.

oh, if that is the case then sure. i was just wondering if you were interested in more performance and easier to get coolers. 

also it wasnt mentioned in the OP. hence me missing it. sorry about that. nice deal on those CPUs tho. even tho per chip they are less performance. 

but i would certainly look at changin the PSU to something a bit more juicy considering the hardware you are going to power.

something like an AXI from corsair perhaps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m considering adding an IcyDock ssd bay.  That would give me some hot swap capability and also simplify incorporating a RAID storage array.

For the case, I’m now leaning towards a hand built wood case (zebra wood?).  It would give me the maximum flexibility in layout (mobo orientation, cooling, psu, ssd bay, cabling, . . .). I would incorporate at least a front tempered glass panel.

On the downside, I would have to plan everything in advance and lock down the component list ahead of time.

Feedback appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the thread after attending CES.  AMD made an irresistible pitch for switching CPU vendors. 

I am open to comments/suggestions on the case.