2070 super stuttering

Iovl123

Hi guys, yesterday i upgrade my gpu from gtx 1070 to rtx 2070 super, both gigabyte cards. Ever since the upgrade, ive been getting sort of stutters, im getting stable high fps that will drop in abput 30-40 fps. 

Im using a gsync compatible free sync monitor, but even when dipping from 100 fps to 60-70 the game feels laggy. 

I have reinstalled the game ready driver and im running on the latest version availible. 

On a side note, i tried running some rtx games, and i dont see any fps drops. Correct me if im wrong, but a rtx 2070 super should be running control on ultra with highest rtx settings on 100 fps stable? I was expecting a big drop in performance when turning rtx on.. Is there anything else needed to Be done to use rtx rather than enabling it in game? 

Thanks for the help! 

Specs: 

I7 6700 cpu

Gigabyte g750h psu

Corsair vengeance 2133mhz 2x8 ram

Rtx 2070 super windforce gpu

just at first glance from your specs, your ram is pretty slow. It's just something I did notice and I was wondering if you have XMP enabled, or if thats just the speed of the RAM you bought.

Even though you didn't change from AMD to Nvidia or vice versa, did you use DDU to clean out your drivers before reinstalling? It does the best clean sweep of drivers compared to just doing it though nvidia or the control panel

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

2 minutes ago, mxk said:

just at first glance from your specs, your ram is pretty slow. It's just something I did notice and I was wondering if you have XMP enabled, or if thats just the speed of the RAM you bought.

Even though you didn't change from AMD to Nvidia or vice versa, did you use DDU to clean out your drivers before reinstalling? It does the best clean sweep of drivers compared to just doing it though nvidia or the control panel

The ram is just 2133, no xmp or anything. I bought it around 5 years ago, and the prices of higher clocked rams were insane. I didnt use ddu, as i was switching from a relatively new gtx to a rtx, but when i first booted the pc after installing the gpu, i had no drivers installed for some reason (resolution was set to 1024x720 or something and i had to nvidia control panel until installing the driver) 

1 minute ago, Iovl123 said:

The ram is just 2133, no xmp or anything. I bought it around 5 years ago, and the prices of higher clocked rams were insane. I didnt use ddu, as i was switching from a relatively new gtx to a rtx, but when i first booted the pc after installing the gpu, i had no drivers installed for some reason (resolution was set to 1024x720 or something and i had to nvidia control panel until installing the driver) 

the ram thing is understandable, you were just 5 short years too late with 16gb at $50.

regardless of that, it seems weird to me that the drivers weren't there when you added the new card. I'm a little stumped as to what your problem is and hopefully more knowledgeable people will pick up on this post.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1st step:  DDU and reinstall. 

2nd step:  report back and hope for smarter replies if that doesn't work :D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, mxk said:

the ram thing is understandable, you were just 5 short years too late with 16gb at $50.

regardless of that, it seems weird to me that the drivers weren't there when you added the new card. I'm a little stumped as to what your problem is and hopefully more knowledgeable people will pick up on this post.

Thanks for trying.. Its a first for me too that the drivers were not installed out of the blue.. 

Regarding the problem itself, i used hwmonitor to check cpu and gpu utiliziation, the gpu was hitting 100% constantly (playing on 3440x1400) and the cpu never hit more than 80-85%.

Coild the cpu still be the case of the drops? 

Just now, Iovl123 said:

Thanks for trying.. Its a first for me too that the drivers were not installed out of the blue.. 

Regarding the problem itself, i used hwmonitor to check cpu and gpu utiliziation, the gpu was hitting 100% constantly (playing on 3440x1400) and the cpu never hit more than 80-85%.

maybe your cpu isn't cutting it. It doesn't sound like that could be the issue since this is only happened since you changed the gpu and installed new drivers. 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, Iovl123 said:

the gpu was hitting 100% constantly (playing on 3440x1400) and the cpu never hit more than 80-85%.

Not really because that's normal behavior,  in most games there's zero reason a CPU should be at 100%.

DDU and reinstall your drivers see if that fixes it. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thanks guys, once i get home ill reinstall the drivers and update you. 

43 minutes ago, Iovl123 said:

Correct me if im wrong, but a rtx 2070 super should be running control on ultra with highest rtx settings on 100 fps stable?

Control in WQHD at Ultra, 100 FPS ? No way.

1440.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/5.html

Try this performance guide :

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/05/control-game-pc-performance-how-to-get-the-best-settings/8

Oh, i thought it's smth more than "set you settings to medium if you want RTRT".

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's a thing I notice a lot,  people have way to big expectations of what their hardware can do,  especially at higher settings,  so good call. 

I'd still DDU because something was obviously a bit fishy about the NV drivers just disappearing.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

34 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

That's a thing I notice a lot,  people have way to big expectations of what their hardware can do,  especially at higher settings,  so good call. 

I'd still DDU because something was obviously a bit fishy about the NV drivers just disappearing.

I will reinstall. Regarding the performance of my hardware, im quite on the opposite side.. Im having hard time to believe my rig is pushing control at ultra with rtx on max at 100 fps, but the proof is right in front of me.. The game is also rendered at 3440x1440, so its just werid to me. 

Edit: i was missing a "not" in the original post, i meant i should "not" be getting such high fps at those settings 

Besides fresh driver install after DDU, which is most important step here, i'd ask or make sure you don't have programs like iCue, CAM (RGB stuff) running in backround, or un-needed anti-virus like norton/avast/mcafee that all hog resources regardless of setup, backround processes like that can hamper gaming performances alot, especially on a 4 core cpu like what you have. 

Try TimeSpy, FireStrike, both are free and can get on steam with 3dmark demo.  if you want further comparison, see how score goes there, obviously something is up with settings if its beating 2080ti lol in NN... Both TimeSpy and FireStrike have a search tool so you could compare to people with same CPU and GPU, settings are locked unless you try to run custom settings manuall in which case score won't be valid, so you can't mess them up. 

For Time Spy people on same CPU and GPU as you scored on average "8941",
for Firestrike "19080",
if you are within a few hundred or above this with either everything should be working fine, benchmark also shows compute and graphics scores so if you have a problem you should be able to figure out if its mainly CPU or GPU issue

1 hour ago, Otto_iii said:

Besides fresh driver install after DDU, which is most important step here, i'd ask or make sure you don't have programs like iCue, CAM (RGB stuff) running in backround, or un-needed anti-virus like norton/avast/mcafee that all hog resources regardless of setup, backround processes like that can hamper gaming performances alot, especially on a 4 core cpu like what you have. 

Try TimeSpy, FireStrike, both are free and can get on steam with 3dmark demo.  if you want further comparison, see how score goes there, obviously something is up with settings if its beating 2080ti lol in NN... Both TimeSpy and FireStrike have a search tool so you could compare to people with same CPU and GPU, settings are locked unless you try to run custom settings manuall in which case score won't be valid, so you can't mess them up. 

For Time Spy people on same CPU and GPU as you scored on average "8941",
for Firestrike "19080",
if you are within a few hundred or above this with either everything should be working fine, benchmark also shows compute and graphics scores so if you have a problem you should be able to figure out if its mainly CPU or GPU issue

Thanks for the reply, i dont have any of those programs installed, i do have wallpaper engine and razer synapse running. Im only using microsoft protection and the ocassion malwarbytes scan. Ill run those benchmarks and see the scores. 

5 hours ago, Iovl123 said:

Thanks for the reply, i dont have any of those programs installed, i do have wallpaper engine and razer synapse running. Im only using microsoft protection and the ocassion malwarbytes scan. Ill run those benchmarks and see the scores. 

As for protection that's all you need really - very light on the system... And yes Timespy / Firestrike is a good combination to test and compare your hardware... 

As for the game running better than you expected,  that's of course nice and all but that's also most likely why you're getting drops,  demands are changing constantly while playing a game and at some points your hardware just can't keep up  -> solution : lower some settings find something that's really stable and doesn't drop,  so probably just a mix of medium / high settings will do the trick. 

For example I can run RE2 with high settings at ~100 fps,  but it'll occasionally drop to ~58fps or worse in some situations, which basically makes it unplayable for me and as such I just lowered some settings like volumetric lighting, while still having the maximum possible texture settings (5.6GB out of my card's 6GB) and I'm getting *no* drops whatsoever with vsync enabled (I also never play without vsync usually, I HATE screen tearing so much lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So i ran the benchmarks and im getting expected results, still no idea why i can run control(rtx on) and outer worlds on ultra with no drops, i guess ill just lower the settings abit to avoid stuttering. Thanks for the help guys! 

18 minutes ago, Iovl123 said:

So i ran the benchmarks and im getting expected results, still no idea why i can run control(rtx on) and outer worlds on ultra with no drops, i guess ill just lower the settings abit to avoid stuttering. Thanks for the help guys! 

For what its worth.. if you have 'Control' on a regular HDD, moving to an SSD cured some heavy I/O HDD stuttering I was getting time to time...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

For what its worth.. if you have 'Control' on a regular HDD, moving to an SSD cured some heavy I/O HDD stuttering I was getting time to time...

All of my games are installed on hdd, i only have Windows installed on my ssd. Regardless, i had no stuttering before i swapped gpus, so i dont think that has anything to do with the issue. The benchmarks are running fine, i guess i just need to tweak the settings