Internet really only works with a VPN on

CluelessVPN

I've been having this issue for a while where basic websites will work just fine, but if i try to online game or download anything it either doesn't let me or takes an absurd amount of time. Finally found a solution mostly getting around this issue by getting a VPN, but it still gives me high ping. Without a VPN i have a .12 down and 11 up. With a VPN on i have a 44 down and 11 up. I'm hooked up to Ethernet but there a lot of devices that use internet in my house hold if that plays any factor.

Either your ISP is throttling your connection or there is a routing bottleneck somewhere between your ISP and where you are downloading from that isn't present between you, your VPN, and where you are downloading from.

Roughly the way your VPN works is that it encrypts the traffic and sends it over a different protocol (say IPSec) between you and your VPN. So if your ISP is trying to throttle certain things rather than your entire connection (say by scanning HTTP packets) then their throttling tools wouldn't be able to see the traffic in order to throttle it, hence bypassing their throttling.