Home Business network upgrade

theskaz

I am looking for a solution to my network problems.

Backstory:

I pre-ordered the original Eero 3 pack and used them up until 6 months ago. They worked fine for what I needed at that time. I, then Ordered a Netgear RAX120 and 2 x EX8000 to create a wifi mesh setup. I RMA'd the firs RAX120, and I have to constantly reboot this thing to keep the speeds up. I upgraded because I have a 1Gbps internet and the Eeros could only do about 500Mpbs. the RAX does 980Mbps consistently when it is freshly rebooted. 

Current Issues:

the 2 extenders have to have separate SSID, which i dont like. I have to reboot the router daily. I have servers that run that need to be up all the time. I thought about going to the cloud, but the cost of that is ridiculous for what I need. WiFi devices connected to the extenders are very slow. 

new Requirements:

I need dual WAN. I dont need load balance, just failover. I have a 1GB main connection and a 4G LTE hotspot. I would like to run only one at a time. 

I want it to fully utilize the 1GB throughput

i have about 45 devices. ranging from servers that are hardwired to IoT development devices and common tablets/cell phones. My house is small, with cement-ish walls. and running CATX cables is not an option (I rent, and have 3 little boys, so running across the ground isnt ok either). all hardwired stuff is in the garage where the cable modem comes in at, and the main router. out of the 45 devices, 10 are hardwired. i intend on have 2-3 10GB servers soon. 

based on all that, and assuming I can return these current devices, what would you recommend. I would like to keep the total cost under 1k USD.

Id put servers and desktops wired if you can, but them in the basement with the modem. Or sneak wires in the corneres of the walls., just makes the wifi beter for the devices that need it. Do you have any coax cables ran in your house you can use moca with?

How about something like untangle or pfsense on a low power x86 box for a router. Id for unifi for wifi here.

Desktops and Servers are Wired. well... my main workstation has hyperv enabled so it runs the hyperv switch through a wired connection, and my normal workstation work is on a 802.11ax wifi card. 

I do have coax ran into a couple spots in my house. I am not familiar with moca. I ran pfsense a long time ago and had issues with it because of a VoiP server struggling with it. havent hear of untangle. Ill look into them both. I do have a spare low power Intel G something floating around here somewhere. and a couple Pis. can the Unifi's connect to each other wirelessly without much bandwidth loss?

A better picture would be my detached garage has all the big equipment, and all devices that are inside the main house are wireless. my workstation is in the garage as that is my office. 

12 minutes ago, theskaz said:

I am not familiar with moca.

Lets you run IP over coax at basically full gig. Id do this over mesh if you can.

. havent hear of untangle.

LIke pfsense, go try it in a vm to see what you like more, both do simmilar things.

Unifi's connect to each other wirelessly without much bandwidth loss?

Yes, but like any wifi system, wired backbone is better, and since you ahve coax try that first.

doing research on the moca bit, are they point to point? meaning that you have to have 2 for every connection, or if I wanted to connect 3 devices, I only need 3 moca adapters?

the 3 devices being my 2 wifi extenders (being hardwired will allow them to run as mesh) and the router

32 minutes ago, theskaz said:

doing research on the moca bit, are they point to point? meaning that you have to have 2 for every connection, or if I wanted to connect 3 devices, I only need 3 moca adapters?

the 3 devices being my 2 wifi extenders (being hardwired will allow them to run as mesh) and the router

You only need 3 adapters. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Cisco RV340 router

Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro  (3 or 4 of these spread out)

Forget repeating WiFi, find a way to run network cables to the APs.

I haven't played around with AX gear yet, but desktops and servers should we using wired LAN and WiFi should be for slower stuff so AC is enough IMO.