RX 580 8GB driver issue

Hi so I have a relatively low spec PC (Xeon E5 2470 8-core, 32GB DDR3, Kllisre LGA 1356 m.2 MoBo, 2TB HDD, 128GB NVME SSD, Super Flower Leadex III etc..) and I have a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB, which I picked up on eBay a while ago for about $90, a steal a few months ago. It was the last component of the PC and I decided on it over the GTX 1060 6GB, as it's probably a slightly better card nowadays, what with the better AMD drivers.

Which brings me on to the issue. When I first got the card, it took me an age with starting the driver install then it stopping for an unknown reason, then I'd have to DDU and try again, until finally, after in excess of 10 times, the driver installation tool prompted a restart of the PC, which I did, and the drivers installed. The card then scaled properly to the monitor and began to output in HD 1080p, or at least I thought, but in GTA and other games it can only display 1024x768 at 75 Hz (though I haven't lowered the refresh rate to see if that would make an increase to the potential resolution, and my monitor is the Acer VG-240Y W/ FreeSync), another problem seemingly lying with the card, with the CPU easily able to output even 1440p in GTA at playable frame rates in medium/high, whilst I was getting only 60ish in the in game benchmark with everything incl. AA maxed in 1024x768 (The only synthetic benchmark I've tried). This really strange behaviour is something I've never seen before (Bad resolution, terrible driver experience on CD and online (though that may be fixable if booted in safe mode??) Poor performance in games (I'm pretty sure atleast) and just generally stifled performance.) I'm sumising that perhaps this is due to a weak PCI-e x16 connection on the board, though in a YouTube video I found that this board goes well with an RX 570 8GB, essentially the same card. This time round, however, I can't install the most recent drivers even after a DDU, and, also, side note windows 10 doesn't even automatically install drivers of any sort, which I found strange.

So that brings me to my findings; 1, I have read bad things about checking the AMD user experience feedback (or whatever) box, so maybe uncheck it next time round? 2, I have also thought about installing them in safe mode/ off a disk with Wi-Fi turned off (as I did it just with Wi-Fi off last time, from the driver disk, with no safe mode activated) or 3, maybe it could be the PCI-e slot on the motherboard badly soldered or whatever, I could test it in a different MoBo as I do have more lying around the house, which could be the poor connection? The thing that bugs me about all this and what makes 3 the most likely is the fact that the resolution is poor and the drivers won't install, 2 separate issues it seems.

Sorry for such a long post, but I can try all of the things in paragraph 3 and anything else anyone may suggest, and if there's any more info required I'll try to provide it.

Thanks

"Good things might come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late" Bill Withers, 1981

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC  RAM16GB TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB (2×8GB 3200MHz) GPU:AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 MSI Air Boost OC Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 (With all accessories) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 510 512GB NVME M.2 SSD, 2× 5400RPM Seagate NAS 2TB HDDs PSU: GameMax RGB-850 850W Modular RGB 80+ Gold Display: Viotek GN32DB 32″ Curved Monitor – 144Hz 1440p WQHD VA with FreeSync Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism RGB Keyboard: Anne Pro 2 60% NKRO Bluetooth 4.0 Type-C RGB 61 Keys Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Gateron Brown Switches Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Wired Gaming Mouse Sound: RAZER Kraken Gaming Headset Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Laptop: Clevo P641RE Gaming Laptop (14.1", i7-6700HQ, GTX 970M, 500GB NVME M.2, 16GB DDR4) Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 128GB Coral Blue Earphones: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

Have you tried running Linux off of a live USB to check if the resolution is fine there? Then we can rule out if it is a Windows or driver problem.

Make sure that you use the latest drivers from AMD's website.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Have you tried running Linux off of a live USB to check if the resolution is fine there? Then we can rule out if it is a Windows or driver problem.

Make sure that you use the latest drivers from AMD's website.

Hi no but I could try Linux, would that fix both the driver and res issue? Also they were the most recent drivers.

"Good things might come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late" Bill Withers, 1981

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC  RAM16GB TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB (2×8GB 3200MHz) GPU:AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 MSI Air Boost OC Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 (With all accessories) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 510 512GB NVME M.2 SSD, 2× 5400RPM Seagate NAS 2TB HDDs PSU: GameMax RGB-850 850W Modular RGB 80+ Gold Display: Viotek GN32DB 32″ Curved Monitor – 144Hz 1440p WQHD VA with FreeSync Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism RGB Keyboard: Anne Pro 2 60% NKRO Bluetooth 4.0 Type-C RGB 61 Keys Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Gateron Brown Switches Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Wired Gaming Mouse Sound: RAZER Kraken Gaming Headset Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Laptop: Clevo P641RE Gaming Laptop (14.1", i7-6700HQ, GTX 970M, 500GB NVME M.2, 16GB DDR4) Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 128GB Coral Blue Earphones: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

Just now, David_1276 said:

Hi no but I could try Linux, would that fix both the driver and res issue? Also they were the most recent drivers.

It wouldn't magically fix those issues on your Windows installation, it is just so that we can test whether it outputs the correct resolution and if it is detected properly. If you use something like Ubuntu 19.10 then the drivers are included and all you have to do is prepare a USB drive with a tool such as balenaEtcher and choose Try Ubuntu while booted from the USB drive.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Using the open source amdgpu-driver on Linux really could fix the issue.

56 minutes ago, Husky said:

It wouldn't magically fix those issues on your Windows installation, it is just so that we can test whether it outputs the correct resolution and if it is detected properly. If you use something like Ubuntu 19.10 then the drivers are included and all you have to do is prepare a USB drive with a tool such as balenaEtcher and choose Try Ubuntu while booted from the USB drive.

Ok thanks I'll try that when I get home, which will probably be tomorrow, and hopefully it works!

My PC: