450W psu 80 plus white enough for RX 5700 ?

Go to solution Solved by Juular,
4 hours ago, jhinfex said:

about that psu i saw GN vids tells that 450 is bare minimum for even a gtx 1080 so i bought it

Technically, for strictly gaming build, 450W are enough for almost anything you can get. But even then not all 450-550W PSUs are equal, that PSU you've bought are one of the worst, it's simply dangerous for any modern build. Smth like Corsair CX would be way more appropriate. It's not only about wattage, evaluating a PSU quality is very complicated matter. See this thread for some advice :

Hi guys, I consider buying a Rx 5700 REFERENCE and do some OC, will my PSU handle ?

My config: 

• R3 3200G
  • B350 plus (Asus)
  • 6 pieces of 120mm rgb fans(chinese fans so no control over software)+1 fan hub
  • snowman cooler with 2 rgb fans
  • 16 gb 2666Mhz corsair vengence lpx (Oc to 3200Mhz, normal Timing)
  • 1 1Tb hard drive
  • 1 nvme drive
  • 1 2.5'  ssd drive
  • 450w 80 plus white psu(https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=220, model 500)

do anyone have experience about psu run pass recommended wattage ?

PLS HELP :))

Holy shiiii... dont do OC on the Reference and dont get the reference. It sounds like a A380 taking of lol. Get at least some partner card with a better cooler. Maybe a Asrock? They are like 10$ more but are wwwwwway quieter!

I dont know a lot about XIGMATEK i mean 480W is to less anyhow. AMDs recommendation is min. 600W. Form what i researched now this PSU is pretty awful and dangerous lol.

Idd suggest getting a new 650W PSU alongside the GPU. Check our PSU tier list :). Chose tier B 550W for non OC and 650for OC. That’s enough and save 

Allso OCing that Card wont help. WIth this card you will anyway run into pretty hefty CPU bottleneck

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

In addition to that, RX4700 with R3 3200G would be bottlenecked HARD, reconsider your choices and get say R5 2600 or R5 3600 with GTX1660 Super\Ti.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

12V 27A on a single rail ... You'd better leave that one in the shop, that's dangerous; and the 500+W supplies of the same series are even more dangerous.

Look for a supply with at least 2, better 3, 12v rails for the 5700XT, maybe FSP or Antec (which, btw, is quite often FSP as well) if price is an issue. They're usually not 80+ certified but they will provide 80+ efficiency, stability and do really give you the wattage they claim to provide - I really have serious doubts that the X-Power does provide the claimed wattage and efficiency.

Add: I have to correct myself here, Antec is often using SST (Seasonic) not FSP.  

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

Holy shiiii... dont do OC on the Reference and dont get the reference. It sounds like a A380 taking of lol. Get at least some partner card with a better cooler. Maybe a Asrock? They are like 10$ more but are wwwwwway quieter!

I dont know a lot about XIGMATEK i mean 480W is to less anyhow. AMDs recommendation is min. 600W. Form what i researched now this PSU is pretty awful and dangerous lol.

Idd suggest getting a new 650W PSU alongside the GPU. Check our PSU tier list :). Chose tier B 550W for non OC and 650for OC. That’s enough and save 

Allso OCing that Card wont help. WIth this card you will anyway run into pretty hefty CPU bottleneck

But non-reference card cost ($70 minimum) more so i legit can buy a Rx 5700 xt instead :)

Money is the problem to me so i just want to get a decent GPU and upgrade other stuffs later, my GPU at the moment is an Rx 480 4gb and i cant even play Witcher 3 at 60 fps low setting.

about that psu i saw GN vids tells that 450 is bare minimum for even a gtx 1080 so i bought it 

9 minutes ago, jhinfex said:

But non-reference card cost ($70 minimum) more so i legit can buy a Rx 5700 xt instead :)

Money is the problem to me so i just want to get a decent GPU and upgrade other stuffs later, my GPU at the moment is an Rx 480 4gb and i cant even play Witcher 3 at 60 fps low setting.

Yeh for a 1080 a 5700(xt) is a different card and that PSU you got there is real dangerous... no shit my boiii :D

And I understand your thinking, but the limit is the CPU in your config. A 480 is ok for 1080p. Get a better PUS first, then a CPU, then a GPU.

At least get a refund on the PSU and get a better one. Seriously bro... then you might be ok with a 5700 but thats overkill for the CPU you got

Did you monitor the bottleneck with Witcher 3? Maybe it's wise to go with Ryzen 5 2600 (quite cheap actually) first, then buying a good power supply and then, a few month later, the 5700XT which will likely drop in price anyways?

30 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Did you monitor the bottleneck with Witcher 3? Maybe it's wise to go with Ryzen 5 2600 (quite cheap actually) first, then buying a good power supply and then, a few month later, the 5700XT which will likely drop in price anyways?

but i already bought this CPU so...

and btw my Pc just crashed  for some reasons :/

after being around the fourms again the insane amount of people with such low and weird psu's is scaring me something bad. ive had so many bad experiences with such things i cant even imagine buying such anymore

1 hour ago, jhinfex said:

and btw my Pc just crashed  for some reasons :/

Underpowered, or poor quality power can do that. It also can damage all of the components of your system.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

4 hours ago, jhinfex said:

Technically, for strictly gaming build, 450W are enough for almost anything you can get. But even then not all 450-550W PSUs are equal, that PSU you've bought are one of the worst, it's simply dangerous for any modern build. Smth like Corsair CX would be way more appropriate. It's not only about wattage, evaluating a PSU quality is very complicated matter. See this thread for some advice :

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 12/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, Giffany said:

after being around the fourms again the insane amount of people with such low and weird psu's is scaring me something bad. ive had so many bad experiences with such things i cant even imagine buying such anymore

If you don’t have the $$ you have to cut conners

My choice is to hope for the best, like I can ez bought a unknown psu with no rating at all, but I bought instead a 80plus rating one and it’s being trusted by most netcafe, my choice is limited, even those rgb fans is just for airflow and is cheaper than non-rgb ones. 

I have less than $200 to spend and cpu alone cost $99 so.. imagine how can you get a psu, a case, some fans and a ssd with $100 :))

still ty for you advice  :))

On 12/15/2019 at 10:08 PM, Sir0Tek said:

I already bought the cpu man :)..

still a good advice,TY 

On 12/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, Metallus97 said:

Yeh for a 1080 a 5700(xt) is a different card and that PSU you got there is real dangerous... no shit my boiii :D

And I understand your thinking, but the limit is the CPU in your config. A 480 is ok for 1080p. Get a better PUS first, then a CPU, then a GPU.

At least get a refund on the PSU and get a better one. Seriously bro... then you might be ok with a 5700 but thats overkill for the CPU you got

I Oced to 4.1Ghz 1.5V, when i run TS or FS gpu peak at 100% and cpu like chilling at 70-80% so I don’t think my system is bottlenecked by the CPU though(and the max Temp is 79C so):)

8 minutes ago, jhinfex said:

I Oced to 4.1Ghz 1.5V, when i run TS or FS gpu peak at 100% and cpu like chilling at 70-80% so I don’t think my system is bottlenecked by the CPU though(and the max Temp is 79C so):)

at least not hardly then. But then its fine for the time being

Listen to everyone who says get a better psu and cpu first,  you may not even need a new gpu then immediately...

Especially if you don't have much money cheaping out on psu is the worst you can do. 

Rich people may could do that for the lulz,  but then again why should they.. 

Never cheap out on psu and do your research before buying pc components. 

If you figure out it's trash afterwards it only costs you more lol, so.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Listen to everyone who says get a better psu and cpu first

Don't even worry about the CPU, since the 3200g is perfectly fine for anything but very high framerate gaming. (which is obviously not the target of this budget build)

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Especially if you don't have much money cheaping out on psu is the worst you can do. 

Never cheap out on psu and do your research before buying pc components.

This is very important. If you get a poor quality PSU, you may need to replace your entire system in a month instead of waiting a couple weeks for the next paycheck and having enough money for the good PSU. At least the motherboard chosen should have enough protection built in to reduce the risk of damage to the CPU and RAM.

There are very few components in a PC that you can't cheap out on safely, and the PSU is #1 on that list.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

22 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Don't even worry about the CPU, since the 3200g is perfectly fine for anything but very high framerate gaming. (which is obviously not the target of this budget build)

Yeah, I agree the CPU is probably really ok for this build,  I was just going with it because others said it would bottleneck - but I think too that's not necessarily the case. PSU should be #1 priority. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Definitely get a better PSU above everything else. No point buying a nice graphics card if your PSU (known for not being good and that being reflected by its specs) is likely to die and take your GPU and possibly other things with it.

It's scary how much people underrate the purchase of a good quality PSU when it's the very thing that powers your whole system and your whole system is dependent on.

Sort out your PSU and then you can better judge from the money you have left over what the best strategy is moving forward.

Lots of people here ragging out the Xigmatek PSU and I have no particular experience with that model, but can say unequivocally that the Xigmatek 750 watt Vector Semi-Modular PSU that I had and used for several years...was an excellent PSU...so be guided by your own research.

Agreed that a poor PSU can cause all sorts of issues from blue screens, unsolicited reboots and far worse, including causing any singular or multiple component/s to burn out or fail, and that can also cause a real nuisance trying to fault find reasons for hardware failures, so my advice would be to not buy a PSU with less than a Silver rating; but by the same token, there are some poor quality PSUs around from well known manufacturers as well...certain Antec, Thermaltake, Coolermaster and even some Corsairs have been reported as causing problems...so like I previously said, research carefully and be sure of the warranty coverage that your PSU provides...tho hopefully you'll never need it!

5 hours ago, Pharr Carnell said:

Lots of people here ragging out the Xigmatek PSU and I have no particular experience with that model, but can say unequivocally that the Xigmatek 750 watt Vector Semi-Modular PSU that I had and used for several years...was an excellent PSU...so be guided by your own research.

Agreed that a poor PSU can cause all sorts of issues from blue screens, unsolicited reboots and far worse, including causing any singular or multiple component/s to burn out or fail, and that can also cause a real nuisance trying to fault find reasons for hardware failures, so my advice would be to not buy a PSU with less than a Silver rating; but by the same token, there are some poor quality PSUs around from well known manufacturers as well...certain Antec, Thermaltake, Coolermaster and even some Corsairs have been reported as causing problems...so like I previously said, research carefully and be sure of the warranty coverage that your PSU provides...tho hopefully you'll never need it!

Man you read me like a book, I did do my research and i found out that PSU 80 plus rated, how can i possibly know that rated is fake or not cuz is limited to our region anyway.

10 hours ago, jhinfex said:

Man you read me like a book, I did do my research and i found out that PSU 80 plus rated, how can i possibly know that rated is fake or not cuz is limited to our region anyway.

What region? A lot of us on here are really quite proficient at finding quality parts for good prices, even in other countries.