Concerning issue with PSU?

Turbof1
Go to solution Solved by Curious Pineapple,

Do you mean the 8TG00525 transformer? If so there's nothing wrong with it, that's just where some of the windings exit the transformer and have a resin applied to secure them in place :)

7 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

I'm not sure on the average, but a 15 year old psu still working (and just to be clear, don't do this. I am an idiot for doing this!) should give an indication of what can be reached.

Sometimes you need a jack*ss to get these numbers ?

I think you mean Guinnea pig but whichever.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

To do perhaps a little thread jacking what I would love in a PSU is for me to be able to run the thing till it pops but NOT have to worry about whether it will take my system down with it.  Then I can just slap one in, quit worrying about it, and drive it till the wheels come off.  The impression I am getting is this is not at this time a possible thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Turbof1 said:

I'm not sure on the average, but a 15 year old psu still working (and just to be clear, don't do this. I am an idiot for doing this!) should give an indication of what can be reached.

Sometimes you need a jack*ss to get these numbers ?

well you seem to be knowledgable  of statistical infrences and probability theory and know that the manufacterers warranty period and hardware faliures are things you should take into consideration  but you made a decision that the probable outcome isnt worth the extra money anyways , you are willing to take the risk.

i will share one of my own experiences 

13 years ago i ran an nvidia 8800 GTS on a crappy HEC 400w it ran without problems for 6 years until the gpu became too old to run games , a friend of mine had the same configuration and his graphics card was dead after only 4 months of use.

Same thing not every smoker gets lung cancer , but that doesnt mean smoking doesnt cause lung cancer

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

To do perhaps a little thread jacking what I would love in a PSU is for me to be able to run the thing till it pops but NOT have to worry about whether it will take my system down with it.  Then I can just slap one in, quit worrying about it, and drive it till the wheels come off.  The impression I am getting is this is not at this time a possible thing.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/single-rail-power-supply-platform-atx12vo-design-guide.pdf

they seem to be moving in the opposite direction as seems like in the near future you will have to change both the PSU and the motherboard with time as motherboards would  be required do more DC-DC conversion 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

4 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/single-rail-power-supply-platform-atx12vo-design-guide.pdf

they seem to be moving in the opposite direction as seems like in the near future you will have to change both the PSU and the motherboard with time as motherboards would  be required do more DC-DC conversion 

The article is 23 pages, but from your summary this strikes me as a terrible idea.  It makes things less modular and spreads problem systems across components.