Help needed for entry gaming pc

Hi,

My nephew is looking into getting his first gaming pc. For that his mom has asked me (and my limited knowledge) for guidance.

He has played Fortnite on PS4 and Roblox on a school laptop and are looking for similar but upgraded gaming experience.

So far I have been constructing the below specs.

- How do you think it would perform in 1080p high setting Fortnite?

- Is it worth spending another USD 43 upgrading the CPU to Ryzen 5 2600?

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / 3.6 GHz Processor
Standard cooler
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Kingston - 8GB - DDR4 - 2666MHz - DIMM 288-PIN
ASUS PH-GTX1060-3G - NVIDIA GTX1060 - 3GB GDDR5
Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S250BW - 250GB
Fourze T750 ATX cabinet
CORSAIR VS Series VS550 - 550W

Thank you in advance!

you've picked some good parts.

i'd suggest using something other than the stock cooler.

Personally i'm using the cryorig H7 and it's super cheap.

The ssd is overpriced don't get me wrong it's a super good one but you can get a 500gb intel 660p at the same price (if not cheaper)

if possible try to look at a 16xx card rather than the 1060. (if swapping the graphics card isn't an opiton i'd suggest just changing the ssd to the intel 660p or a crucial 500gb)

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, unoit said:

Hi,

My nephew is looking into getting his first gaming pc. For that his mom has asked me (and my limited knowledge) for guidance.

He has played Fortnite on PS4 and Roblox on a school laptop and are looking for similar but upgraded gaming experience.

Standard cooler
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Fourze T750 ATX cabinet

Thank you in advance!

Whats the budget?

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Be sure to get a dual channel kit of memory, not a single DIMM. Couldn't read that from your parts list what you are getting.

The VS550 is decent for a build like this, but doesn't leave much room to upgrade the GPU in the future either.

That SSD is definitely not worth it in this sort of budget.

Something like this would be my suggestion:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $595.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-11 05:38 EST-0500

Depends on local pricing too of course..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Amazon) 

would stop recommending this board. its not great, and its one of the few board on B450 that often has issues with QC. 

CXM is worse than CX. if possible would change those out even tho you have to move away from semi-modular. 

im assuming this is supposed to represent generic memmory as you can get same speed kits at 16GB capacity. edit: at roughly the same price. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

would stop recommending this board. its not great, and its one of the few board on B450 that often has issues with QC. 

Ah, I see.. Just chose a relatively cheap board in the tier that would work alright with a Ryzen 5 CPU.

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

CXM is worse than CX. if possible would change those out even tho you have to move away from semi-modular. 

I mostly choose the semi-modularity because I suspected the case I chose (which I kinda chose blindly, just some cheap box..) would probably have junk cable management options. Anything to help with that!

Although I still find it weird Corsair refreshed the CX-series again, but not CXM.

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

im assuming this is supposed to represent generic memmory as you can get same speed kits at 16GB capacity. 

Since I don't know where OP is from it was indeed just something generic to finish up the list:

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on local pricing too of course..

What I meant with that was that it really depends on what OP can generally get where they live.

Also it was just to specifically show to get a 2x DIMM set.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

I mostly choose the semi-modularity because I suspected the case I chose (which I kinda chose blindly, just some cheap box..) would probably have junk cable management options. Anything to help with that!

Although I still find it weird Corsair refreshed the CX-series again, but not CXM

well they refreshed in 2017. dont remember the exact fate of cxm, but they really didnt update the topology. 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Ah, I see.. Just chose a relatively cheap board in the tier that would work alright with a Ryzen 5 CPU.

would usually look at the Pro4 or AC boards from ASrock. have heard few or none issues with them. that and certain MSI boards with the tomahawk derivative VRM. Auros M seems to be fine. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

well they refreshed in 2017. dont remember the exact fate of cxm, but they really didnt update the topology. 

would usually look at the Pro4 or AC boards from ASrock. have heard few or none issues with them. that and certain MSI boards with the tomahawk derivative VRM. Auros M seems to be fine. 

The B450 Aorus M worked quite well for a 2400G system I built, no overclocking on it though.

I just thought 'let's save this 10 USD here, for the same tier board' :D 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

I just thought 'let's save this 10 USD here, for the same tier board' :D 

Yeah the DS3H vrm is completely fine. The heatsink kinda "eh" tho. And then there are the related QC issues that just makes it worth avoiding. 

Not sure if it applies to the AC variant of the board released this year

1 hour ago, unoit said:

Hi,

Standard cooler
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Fourze T750 ATX cabinet

Thank you in advance!

Don't buy such an expensive case for a trash build. If you dont want a trash build scrap the case and get like a $60 case and get 16gb of ram instead and get the 2600. Also get a WD blue 1tb hard drive because 256gb ssd is full so fast because os is already 60gbish and fortnite is like 30-40 so ur at 100 then everything else.

9 minutes ago, Joshcanread said:

Don't buy such an expensive case for a trash build.

Bruh! Speak for yourself.

Also get a WD blue 1tb hard drive because 256gb ssd is full so fast because os is already 60gbish and fortnite is like 30-40 so ur at 100 then everything else

thats not right, my windows can go to 16gig drive, but yeah it will be 50gigs.

still under 200 gigs left

fortnite 40 gigs

160 gig left so plenty of space left.

and get the 2600

agreed.

Better cpu, will last for years to come.

Prety cheap and ok motherboard, its pretty small (itx)

Cheap and decent ram, Geil is a decent unknown brand.

Pretty cheap and 240gb ssd for primary softwares, games and OS.

1tb hdd for large files

rx 570 8gb for decent gaming experience, cause of 8gb of vram it will last some years still.

Small case, since you have small mobo too, and its cheap.

Decent psu

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

6 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Bruh! Speak for yourself.

thats not right, my windows can go to 16gig drive, but yeah it will be 50gigs.

still under 200 gigs left

fortnite 40 gigs

160 gig left so plenty of space left.

agreed.

Better cpu, will last for years to come.

Prety cheap and ok motherboard, its pretty small (itx)

Cheap and decent ram, Geil is a decent unknown brand.

Pretty cheap and 240gb ssd for primary softwares, games and OS.

1tb hdd for large files

rx 570 8gb for decent gaming experience, cause of 8gb of vram it will last some years still.

Small case, since you have small mobo too, and its cheap.

Decent psu

now that's what I call a build 

Thank you all for your valued and experienced advice.

Sadly PC-part prices are totally different in Denmark and my budget is limited for an eleven year old entry-level pc gaming fortnite RGB experience. But I'm taking all your advice going for the 2600, upgrading space at the cost of it being SATA SSD in stead. Dual memory 2x4 or 2x8.

In my nephews eyes RGB = better than the actual FPS or snappiness. Sadly.

I'll update the full build, and hope that you'll bear with me and aid me once again :)

6 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Wow - thanks! Didn't know you could do that through PCPartPicker and didn't even know that seller.

I can't seem to decide between AMD RX 580 and GTX 1650S - they are similar in price. And even though the 1650s is newer, a lot of the benchmarks I can find seem to favor the RX 580. 

48 minutes ago, unoit said:

Wow - thanks! Didn't know you could do that through PCPartPicker and didn't even know that seller.

I can't seem to decide between AMD RX 580 and GTX 1650S - they are similar in price. And even though the 1650s is newer, a lot of the benchmarks I can find seem to favor the RX 580. 

Amd just launched a driver that supposedly increases performance by up to 20%. If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for benchmarks using that driver and see how it fares against the 1650 super. Also, the amd rx5500 in launching within the next few days, so you can consider that as well as it will be in the same league as the 580 and 1650s

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Amd, but get faster ram (at least 3000)and you don't need the cooler

But to my knowledge the Ryzen 5 2600 doesn't support RAM above 2933?

11 minutes ago, unoit said:

But to my knowledge the Ryzen 5 2600 doesn't support RAM above 2933?

Not officially. But either way, you can get a 3000 kit and set it to run at 2933