Power card without pc/motherboard

Patrick1610

Hi, 

For a project (building furniture out of old cases) I would like to power an usb pcie card without a working pc. This way I can have a bench with a smart phone charger ? 

Would you guys know if this is possible and if so, how? Preferably without an (power consuming) power supply but possible to use one (have one of a Powermac G5 which seems to be working). 

You'll need to provide power to the pins responsible for power.

Here's the pinout for PCIe. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCAFyJAZ-8fEfNkwkOzQJ

-アパゾ

I would recommend just building a USB hub into it, wireless charging would be cool. 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 12/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Patrick1610 said:

Hi, 

For a project (building furniture out of old cases) I would like to power an usb pcie card without a working pc. This way I can have a bench with a smart phone charger ? 

Would you guys know if this is possible and if so, how? Preferably without an (power consuming) power supply but possible to use one (have one of a Powermac G5 which seems to be working). 

There is a more clever way to do this. Get a USB header plate that you'd normally attach to the motherboard and then just attach a USB A to USB A extension cord to this to a USB whatever you want to power it with.

844dfe4799d0fd87.jpg

https://www.xt-xinte.com/2-Port-USB-2-0-Hub-to-9-Pin-Header-Bracket-Extension-Cable-Adapter-USB-Connector-for-Computer-Rear-Panel-Motherboard-MainBoard-p459890.html

You can either modify something like that, or buy something like this:

https://www.stc-cable.com/90-degree-up-direction-angled-usb-2-0-a-male-connector-to-female-extension-cable-with-panel-mount-hole.html

90-Degree-Up-Direction-Angled-USB-2.0-A-