How is this possible?

katka

Please someone explain WHY do I get MORE FPS with a LOWER (worse spec) LAPTOP in CSGO?

(tested in pubg lite aswell, same results as in csgo)

[laptop 1]
geforce 820m 2gb
i3 4030u 1.9 ghz
4gb ram (1 stick)
kingston ssd
win 7 clean (just installed) and all drivers up2date
AVERAGE FPS: 98

[laptop 2] - technically better
geforce 920mx 2gb
i5 4288u 2.6 ghz
8gb ram (1 stick aswell)
kingston ssd
win 7 clean (just installed) and all drivers up2date aswell
AVERAGE FPS: 73

even plugged in there is huge (20-40) fps difference.. BUT WHY.. I DONt UNDERSTAND... it makes no sense

also everything is set to Max Performance in nvidia control pannel and the dedicated gpu is selected as main and power mode is set on High Performance on both

Are the settings identical between the game running on both laptops? Is the CPU and GPU not throttling on either machine? What game are we talking about? Did you try running a more 'canned' benchmark, like a FireStrike or similar? (3DMark demo on Steam will work fine for that).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Do they both run on the wall adapter ? If second laptop is on battery it will get worse performance.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 minutes ago, LazarOvidiu said:

Please someone explain WHY do I get MORE FPS with a LOWER (worse spec) LAPTOP in CSGO? (csgo is the only game I tested so far)

[laptop 1]
geforce 820m 2gb
i3 4030u 1.9 ghz
4gb ram
kingston ssd
win 7 clean (just installed) and all drivers up2date
AVERAGE FPS: 98

[laptop 2] - technically better
geforce 920mx 2gb
i5 4288u 2.6 ghz
8gb ram
kingston ssd
win 7 clean (just installed) and all drivers up2date aswell
AVERAGE FPS: 73

even plugged in there is huge (20-40) fps difference.. BUT WHY.. I DONt UNDERSTAND... it makes no sense

also everything is set to Max Performance in nvidia control pannel and the dedicated gpu is selected as main and power mode is set on High Performance on both

If laptop 1 has better cooling than laptop 2, the results wouldn't be shocking. It's not always about raw spec. You have to factor temperature in if it's a throttling issue. Settings must be identical and drivers could also play a role.

Could one be indexing it's drives contents?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

21 minutes ago, minibois said:

Are the settings identical between the game running on both laptops? Is the CPU and GPU not throttling on either machine? What game are we talking about? Did you try running a more 'canned' benchmark, like a FireStrike or similar? (3DMark demo on Steam will work fine for that).

Yes, of course they're the same video settings :)

I use the same config aswell on both

As I said I'm talking about CSGO. this is the only game I tested so far since on both of them I recently installed win7.

I used userbenchmark software and aparently there's not a big difference in between them (the lower spec laptop indeed gives lower score). Regarding throttling between cpu/gpu.. I'm not sure I know what that is

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

Do they both run on the wall adapter ? If second laptop is on battery it will get worse performance.

No, I've only tested one and then the other. Not both in the same time.

the test on both laptops (first and then the second) were on battery and then plugged in

on both times the lower spec laptop gave more fps, which makes no sense

18 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Could one be indexing it's drives contents?

Im not sure what that means, can u please tell me where to check this indexing?

at this moment it's so frustranting and not logical that I'll test absolutely anything

Okay, check CPU & GPU thermals (HWiNFO).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Indexing is a process Windows uses to basically index your drives contents for quicker searching.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/10/manage-windows-10-search-indexing/

It is just a hunch.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

ram difference

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

3 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

ram difference

Thinking single channel over dual? 

40 minutes ago, LazarOvidiu said:

I used userbenchmark software and aparently there's not a big difference in between them (the lower spec laptop indeed gives lower score).

CS:GO basically only cares about CPU performance, so run a true CPU benchmark like Cinebench R15 to see if your CPU's actually perform differently.

Just close all programs and run the test. After that, open up MSI Afterburner, run the test again and check the graphs for: CPU Temperature and CPU clock (there are multiple of the latter) see if it stays stable. The CPU temperature should not exceed around 90 degrees C, and the clocks should stay stable (preferably they should also be significantly higher than not doing the test at all).

As other mentioned, see if you have dual channel memory in both systems. Easiest way to do this is go into task manager > memory tab > bottom right should say "Slots used: 2 of 2" or something like that with other numbers.

By the way, did you test CS:GO in a controlled environment, same map, offline, no bots, etc.? (or a benchmark map)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

32 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

ram difference

so more ram = worse?

28 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Thinking single channel over dual? 

both are 1 channel:

laptop1: one stick of 4gb 1600mhz

laptop2: one stick of 8gb 1600mhz

18 minutes ago, minibois said:

CS:GO basically only cares about CPU performance, so run a true CPU benchmark like Cinebench R15 to see if your CPU's actually perform differently.

Just close all programs and run the test. After that, open up MSI Afterburner, run the test again and check the graphs for: CPU Temperature and CPU clock (there are multiple of the latter) see if it stays stable. The CPU temperature should not exceed around 90 degrees C, and the clocks should stay stable (preferably they should also be significantly higher than not doing the test at all).

As other mentioned, see if you have dual channel memory in both systems. Easiest way to do this is go into task manager > memory tab > bottom right should say "Slots used: 2 of 2" or something like that with other numbers.

By the way, did you test CS:GO in a controlled environment, same map, offline, no bots, etc.? (or a benchmark map)

1. laptop1 (i3 4030u) = 2880 score while laptop2 (i5 4288) = 4187 score

2. single channel memory on both

3. laptop2 (the better one) has higher temps overall (8 degrees more which I dont think it's that much of big deal). max temp it reaches is 72 degrees C

4. tested on online and MOSTLy/MAINLY offline without bots, on d2 and inferno and nuke, same SPOTS without moving.. the FPS difference is huge

4 hours ago, LazarOvidiu said:

any other advice/ideas? :`(

Do you have any background processes running at the same time as the game?

You were able to verify the CPU's perform differently, so you kinda know that is not the problem; so the issue kinda must be CS:GO.

Try updating both games and verifying game data (via the properties menu of the game in steam)

9 hours ago, LazarOvidiu said:

1. laptop1 (i3 4030u) = 2880 score while laptop2 (i5 4288) = 4187 score

2. single channel memory on both

3. laptop2 (the better one) has higher temps overall (8 degrees more which I dont think it's that much of big deal). max temp it reaches is 72 degrees C

4. tested on online and MOSTLy/MAINLY offline without bots, on d2 and inferno and nuke, same SPOTS without moving.. the FPS difference is huge

Those scores don't make sense, make sure you run the CPU benchmark. Single core and then multi core.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

12 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Those scores don't make sense, make sure you run the CPU benchmark. Single core and then multi core.

I've tested and i5 4288u gives in betwen 8%-12% more performance overall (single core and multicore)

can it be because of my power adapter? i5 4288 requires more wattage power, im thinking the adapter might be faulty although its the original one

14 hours ago, minibois said:

Do you have any background processes running at the same time as the game?

You were able to verify the CPU's perform differently, so you kinda know that is not the problem; so the issue kinda must be CS:GO.

Try updating both games and verifying game data (via the properties menu of the game in steam)

no background processes. just normal windows stuff and csgo/steam and I also verified integrity of game data, the fps is the same..

I've also just installed pubg lite and the results are kinda similar to csgo:

on i3-4030u I get 180 fps while on i5-4288u I get arround 147-149 fps 

test done several times in the same location on earangel (with everything on low except textures and lightning disabled)

at this point it's so frustrating that I really dont know what else to do

Only other thing I can think of is that you have the DDR3 variant of the 920MX and your 820M was DDR5.

Or... The laptop manufacturer forced a lower power profile for the 920MX laptop.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

23 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Only other thing I can think of is that you have the DDR3 variant of the 920MX and your 820M was DDR5.

Or... The laptop manufacturer forced a lower power profile for the 920MX laptop.

Could be.  But it could also be a slightly defective or not adequately specced power supply? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity