dropped my ram stick in a cold one (water)

so I was getting the parts out to build and I dropped my GAMING ram into my cold one (water). and since the only thing visible to me is the pins I wrapped it in paper towls and napkins, will it work and when should I use it or did the water get inside the transistors and make it not work.

Dry it up first, rice method basically.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Dry it up first, rice method basically.

how long? can I run on one stick because I don't want to wait a week because my ram stick is wet.

4 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

can I run on one stick because I don't want to wait a week because my ram stick is wet.

then hair dryer

0.5 hours may , not too hot

you can run 1 stick

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'd just set it on a counter for a couple days after thoroughly drying it with a cloth.

9 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

how long? can I run on one stick because I don't want to wait a week because my ram stick is wet.

I'd check your motherboard's manual for that information.

dry it with a paper towel

then use rice method

then use a can of air

then use alcohol and a bristle brush

then use hair dryer on cold

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

dry it with a paper towel

then use rice method

then use a can of air

then use alcohol and a bristle brush

then use hair dryer on cold

hmmm weird order

2 hours ago, redbread123 said:

so I was getting the parts out to build and I dropped my GAMING ram into my cold one (water). and since the only thing visible to me is the pins I wrapped it in paper towls and napkins, will it work and when should I use it or did the water get inside the transistors and make it not work.

I would be a little concerned, since water might be under the chips. If it's ruined, the chips will heat up unevenly and probably blow a hole in RAM chips. I've seen RAM chips "blow up" before, but it's super-rare.

When people spill coffee/water/etc on their laptops, if it was powered on, it's dead due to short circuits. Always. If it's not powered on, and not plugged into the wall, it's possible it survived, but you might be pushing your luck. I'd suggest trying a dehumidifier (eg your fridge or air conditioner) and see if that will dry it out. Keep in mind trying to accelerate may also damage it.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I would be a little concerned, since water might be under the chips. If it's ruined, the chips will heat up unevenly and probably blow a hole in RAM chips. I've seen RAM chips "blow up" before, but it's super-rare.

When people spill coffee/water/etc on their laptops, if it was powered on, it's dead due to short circuits. Always. If it's not powered on, and not plugged into the wall, it's possible it survived, but you might be pushing your luck. I'd suggest trying a dehumidifier (eg your fridge or air conditioner) and see if that will dry it out. Keep in mind trying to accelerate may also damage it.

He quite clearly said he dropped it when taking parts out. So it wasnt plugged in. Aslong as it dries properly its plenty fine lol

2 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

He quite clearly said he dropped it when taking parts out. So it wasnt plugged in. Aslong as it dries properly its plenty fine lol

That's the thing though. People are usually not as forthcoming about what they actually did, especially when it's pretty stupid. We can assume that's exactly what the user did, dropped it in a cup of "tap water", but for the sake of covering other possibilities I included that. People do find posts on LTT via google.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

guess i'll have to explain to my parents why there's a ram stick in the fridge

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

That's the thing though. People are usually not as forthcoming about what they actually did, especially when it's pretty stupid. We can assume that's exactly what the user did, dropped it in a cup of "tap water", but for the sake of covering other possibilities I included that. People do find posts on LTT via google.

lol, I guess you could say I PULLED A LINUS HAHA

10 hours ago, redbread123 said:

lol, I guess you could say I PULLED A LINUS HAHA

didnt get it...

Just now, EL02 said:

didnt get it...

because I "dropped" the ram stick, linus always drops stuff

A friend of mine just put the ram back in the system case for 2 days and reinstalled it ...

it worked, but theres a proverb over here in germany  "Das Glück ist mit den dummen" :D