Gigabit but its not Gigabit

10 minutes ago, flashiling said:

most download speeds are meassured in gb/s which is gigabyte/second, if they wrote that they sold him gigabit ethernet then it's 8x slower than 1000gb/s

some companies have done this and some people misunderstood the difference between gigabit and byte.

No, download speeds are definitely not measured in Gigabyte per second.

GB/s would be Gigabyte per second and you won't get that kind of Internet speed anywhere.

Gb/s is Gigabit per second, which is the way Internet speeds are typically measured.

The problem is, he gets 100 Mb/s instead of 1000 Mb/s (aka Gigabit or 1 Gb/s)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

No, download speeds are definitely not measured in Gigabyte per second.

GB/s would be Gigabyte per second and you won't get that kind of Internet speed anywhere.

Gb/s is Gigabit per second, which is the way Internet speeds are typically measured.

my bad with forgetting to capitalize the b.

but yes it get's advertised as Gb/s but many people think that's gigabytes per second.

so when a mom pays for 25 Gb/s download and her son says fortnite only downloads with ~3GB/s (which is what they display on installers like battle.net, steam and probably epic games store aswell).

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, flashiling said:

most download speeds are meassured in gb/s which is gigabyte/second, if they wrote that they sold him gigabit ethernet then it's 8x slower than 1000gb/s

some companies have done this and some people misunderstood the difference between gigabit and byte.

If you could download at gigabyte/second speeds sign me up thats 1000MB/s. Last time I check download speeds are measured in MB/s (Megabyte per second) or Mbps (Megabyte per second).

He stated he ran the speed tests with speedtest.net which by default measure in Mbps.

The way you worded your statement may confuse some people just wanted to help clarify.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

Just now, ddennis002 said:

If you could download at gigabyte/second speeds sign me up thats 1000MB/s. Last time I check download speeds are measured in MB/s (Megabyte per second) or Mbps (Megabyte per second).

He stated he ran the speed tests with speedtest.net which by default measure in Mbps.

The way you worded your statement may confuse some people just wanted to help clarify.

you're correct again.

it's only 10:11 am so my brain isn't awake yet.

apologies

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, flashiling said:

so when a mom pays for 25 Gb/s download and her son says fortnite only downloads with ~3GB/s (which is what they display on installers like battle.net, steam and probably epic games store aswell).

Why are you to unrealistic transfer speeds for a home connection?

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

Why are you to unrealistic transfer speeds for a home connection?

look at the comment above that corrected me.

i mistakenly used Gb/s instead of Mb/s.

6 minutes ago, flashiling said:

you're correct again.

it's only 10:11 am so my brain isn't awake yet.

apologies

It's fine ? I wasn't entirely sure what your first comment was about, I got it now.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 hours ago, flashiling said:

I know what you mean, but you made a little mistake at least when you typed it good point though. 1Gb/s (gigabit per second) GB/s (gigabytes per second). Capital letters is what determines which measurement it is. 1 Gb/s is 125 MB/s

Do you have QoS enabled on the router? If so turn it off for a sec and test speeds again.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

9 hours ago, cole0622 said:

I know what you mean, but you made a little mistake at least when you typed it good point though. 1Gb/s (gigabit per second) GB/s (gigabytes per second). Capital letters is what determines which measurement it is. 1 Gb/s is 125 MB/s

yes i was corrected on this aswell above :)

12 minutes ago, flashiling said:

yes i was corrected on this aswell above :)

yeah honestly thought I was on the second pg only noticed after I hit send lol

On 12/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, Jharring0701 said:

So my friend is paying for gigabit internet through cox, they have a technicolor-cgm4141 which claims to be a gigabit Modem/Router however they are only getting 100mbps through ethernet and about 300mbps over wifi on 5 GHz from about 10 feet away. The ethernet cord may only be able to push 100mbps not sure If its a cat5 or not (Most likely, is she bought it from best buy) however i feel like they should at least be getting better wifi speeds though. The Modem/Router was recommended and installed by cox for gigabit so not sure where the problem lies. Any info would help, Thank you!

This happens when one of the ends doesn't support higher speed, the higher end is forced to the lower speed just like my 1gigabit PC is limited 100mbit/s