BenQ EX2780Q Review?

HarrisonCassidy

I hope LTT does a review on this monitor at some point. Most of the "reviews" online are essentially people reading off the spec sheet, with zero tests or what I feel are informed/genuine opinions.

I picked it up on black Friday sale, and have been having a great time thus far. Its my first 1440p and my first 144hz monitor. I have opted for the 120 hz (partly because my vega 56 can normally do 100-120 on the games I currently play, but 144hz is pushing it) 10 bit colour (unsure if it is true 10 bit or 8 bit + FRC (is that the right acronym?)) but it gives an option (though it cannot be activated) for 12 bit, which would suggest to me that it is a 10 bit panel?

I was particularly worried about ghosting, seeing a bit with the ufo test, but when in game I don't think I notice it at all, but maybe I just don't know what to look for. Going from 75 hz ips to 60hz tn (I sold my primary monitor in anticipation of upgrading) my performance in overwatch felt super bad, missing head shots that I 100% thought I had lines up perfectly (kinda like one of the newest LTT videos) but going to >100 hz my accuracy increased significantly (from awful to pretty bad!)

I also think I like the HDRi settings, making colours really pop, but are they just oversaturated? Does it matter if it is if I like the look of it better? Probably not. One thing I am not sure I am sold on is the screen automatically adjusting the brightness. I feel when my room gets dark the screen is overcompensating a little too much for my taste, turning down the brightness to the point that it is difficult for me to see some of the smaller things on screen (items in an inventory) but it seems to me you cannot have HDRi on whilst having the auto-brightness off?

One negative is that the on screen display, at least compared to my previous LG, is pretty bad. The menu seems clunky and does not seem to have all the options I had grown accustom to with my previous monitor. The biggest problem with the osd I believe is it has no freesync option, for me its fine, I can use the raedon settings, but I think I recall some comments from nvidia users having problems. 

Overall I am loving it, but I still playing around with colours daily, trying to find the settings I like the best. If anyone else picked up this monitor and would like to give their opinions, or if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them!

This post kinda changed from asking, hoping ltt could review it to my own mini review . . .

• 4 weeks later...

How is everything now at the end of the month? I have one coming in the mail but I am thinking of sending it back in favor of the LG 27GL83A since its cheaper and basically has the same specs, but the LG one has a different panel made by LG themselves.

I agree on your statement on the reviews though. Literally no one has given an actual indepth review (rtings, tft central etc) so I have to go off of subjective user reviews or amazon reviews. All the youtube reviews have been provided the monitor free if you listen to them in the beginning of the video so you can't trust them once they say that. At least with the LG there has been more reviews on it.

idk maybe I am being paranoid. Oh yea and its not a true 10bit panel, its 8 bit + FRC. You cannot enable 10bit and 144hz at the same time either which is another thing leaning me towards the LG.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:12 AM, techwiz1929 said:

How is everything now at the end of the month? I have one coming in the mail but I am thinking of sending it back in favor of the LG 27GL83A since its cheaper and basically has the same specs, but the LG one has a different panel made by LG themselves.

I agree on your statement on the reviews though. Literally no one has given an actual indepth review (rtings, tft central etc) so I have to go off of subjective user reviews or amazon reviews. All the youtube reviews have been provided the monitor free if you listen to them in the beginning of the video so you can't trust them once they say that. At least with the LG there has been more reviews on it.

idk maybe I am being paranoid. Oh yea and its not a true 10bit panel, its 8 bit + FRC. You cannot enable 10bit and 144hz at the same time either which is another thing leaning me towards the LG.

27GL83A has much less emphasis on colors. It's not about the bit range but the gamut. A comparable model would be the LG 27GL850, although that one has pretty poor contrast.

Hi there! I understand this monitor has better blacks/contrast than the LG GL83A/850, right? At least it seems so based on the YT videos reviewing this monitor.

2 minutes ago, tomdan said:

Hi there! I understand this monitor has better blacks/contrast than the LG GL83A/850, right? At least it seems so based on the YT videos reviewing this monitor.

It has the same panel as the Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD / FI27Q, which has very good contrast ratings for an IPS panel.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:12 AM, techwiz1929 said:

How is everything now at the end of the month?

I like it, but I have nothing to compare it to. I really have liked the colours, I find myself playing overwatch and stopping for a second to admire my medals, they just look different than my old monitors, prettier :P 
I just spent two weeks visiting my parents and missed my screen all the while.

I ended up having 3 dead pixels on mine so its going back. They weren't super noticeable but it was there. Thankful that amazon has a good return policy. I may wait until after ces is done since there are new monitors set to release. 

other than the pixels and the stand its a great monitor. I guess i got unlucky since this is my second benq monitor with a dead pixel, last one being a 1080p monitor for a gift

5 minutes ago, techwiz1929 said:

I ended up having 3 dead pixels on mine so its going back. 

other than the pixels and the stand its a great monitor.

Sad :( Whilst back home my laptop developed a stuck pixel and I almost cried

I immediately vesa mounted my benq so I have no opinion on the stand. I find myself playing around with the remote settings quite a but, I don't think I'll ever use the buttons on the screen to navigate the osd if i can help it

1 minute ago, HarrisonCassidy said:

Sad :( Whilst back home my laptop developed a stuck pixel and I almost cried

I immediately vesa mounted my benq so I have no opinion on the stand. I find myself playing around with the remote settings quite a but, I don't think I'll ever use the buttons on the screen to navigate the osd if i can help it

You have no dead pixels? I think I'm tech cursed. Two of my friends bought msi monitors and got perfect ones out of the box no dead or stuck pixels and here i am getting 3 on my first try lol. Maybe ill get lucky some other time.

• 9 months later...

@HarrisonCassidy how is the Benq monitor for the eyes ? do  you get eye strain ?

I have a 10 year old Benq MVA 60hz which if I play Battlefield 1 in (especially sunny maps) I'll get extreme and immediate eye strain.

MSI B660M Bazooka, i5-13600K, Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, 1TB 970 EVO Plus, 840EVO 500GB, 64GB (2*32) RAM Kingston Fury Beast, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2, Benq EX2780Q monitor, Cooler Master N200 Case