Decent CPU for gaming.

I am looking for a decent CPU, preferably Intel (AMD works too, but Intel is my preference), that is $150 or less for gaming. I will mostly be playing games like Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Bioshock etc. But I will be playing MMOs like ESO and Guild Wars as well. I will probably be pairing this with an R9 280X (or whatever the Nvidia equivalent of that is, I'm waiting for Maxwell though). Thanks!

8320 (160$, but goes lower on sales) 

otherwise have fun playing Battlefield on an i3. 

GTX 770 is your best GPU choice. 

Error: 410

Yup. This.

Another case closed by @helping

You're like the Sherlock Holmes of the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

FX 8320

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

8320 (160$, but goes lower on sales)

otherwise have fun playing Battlefield on an i3.

Would that be sufficient for playing ESO? I heard that AMDs dont do so hot in MMOs

FX 8320

Like I said to the other guy, could I happily play ESO, GW, and WoW with an AMD?

Would that be sufficient for playing ESO? I heard that AMDs dont do so hot in MMOs

Yes. All the MMO's you listed are piss easy to run. ESO is heavily optimized. 

Error: 410

So... this depends on what your GPU features are going to be, considering that CPUs aren't as relevant as they used to be. Do you like to stream or record your gameplay and an in general better functioning/ less buggy drivers or would you rather have your frames be even faster than what your paying for when considering AMD's Mantle. If you go with the former (first) then I recommend NVIDIA, the on the fly H.264 Encoding with only a 5% hit to frames is ridiculous. But if you go with the latter, then you'll have faster frames at cheaper prices. 

Skyrim has issues with the AMD FX-8320 due to shitty optimisation and single coredness, but ESO will run fine. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

So... this depends on what your GPU features are going to be, considering that CPUs aren't as relevant as they used to be. Do you like to stream or record your gameplay and an in general better functioning/ less buggy drivers or would you rather have your frames be even faster than what your paying for when considering AMD's Mantle. If you go with the former (first) then I recommend NVIDIA, the on the fly H.264 Encoding with only a 5% hit to frames is ridiculous. But if you go with the latter, then you'll have faster frames at cheaper prices. 

Remember AMD GPUs have decoders in them too much like Nvidia, the only difference is AMD hasn't releasesed the equivalent to Shadowplay (yet) that could change massively in the coming months. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I would suggest you waiting a little bit and going for a 4670k! It's a great CPU, consumes less power than any AMD CPU and even older gen. i5s and you can overclock it if you want.

3570K @4.1GHz on a Gigabyte Z77X-D3H with 8GB of Corsair XMS3 overclocked to 2000MHz CL11 with a GTX 770 all inside a Corsair 600t case.

i'm playing eso with a dual core pentium and a hd7750, it runs great.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

FX-8320 is definitely the way to go. Picked mine up for $99 at Micro center. Sale still going on right now i believe if you have one near you.

fx 8320 ;)

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

FX-8320 will definitely suffice and obviously give you the e-peen feeling (8 corz men!). Tho a i3-4340 will probably beat it in most game titles. The i3-4340 is a superb cheap gaming CPU but if you don't live next to a Micro Center I don't think the 100 MHz increase justifies the $20 price difference (paying $10 extra for 100 more MHz per core). The i3-4330 hits the sweet spot if you must buy from Newegg and still has the beefy 4MB of L3 like its big brother. According to some benchmarks it even puts the FX-8350 to shame when paired with a R9 280X. Tho the eight core FX's will be favorable in games that can fully utilize them. Also overclocking may be a big factor as well, an overclocked FX-8320 will definitely raise the bar in its gaming performance.

Micro Center

i3-4340 = $139

Newegg

i3-4330 = $139

Benchmarks (R9 280X)

battlefield-4-fps2.pngcrysis-3-fps2.png

metro-last-light-fps2.pngassassins-creed-iv-fps3.png

Other benchmarks

Like I said to the other guy, could I happily play ESO, GW, and WoW with an AMD?

MMO's don't do well with AMD CPUs because of how they are written. Most MMO's are poorly threaded and the developers try to run everything on a couple of threads. For example in GW2.

500x700px-LL-31f5e077_CPU20Cores.png

If you wan to go Intel, I would suggest for you to save a bit more cash and buy the i5 4440 instead of a dual core i3. Not only will it be better for gaming, but it will also perform faster on day-to-day tasks. You can pair that with a good H87 motherboard, which has the features that you want a decent price. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

FX-8320 will definitely suffice and obviously give you the e-peen feeling (8 corz men!). Tho a i3-4340 will probably beat it in most game titles.

i am impressed of the power of an i3. excelent budget gaming cpu ,also they run so cool.

but still OP i reccommend going for i5 4440. 30$ over the budget but its worth it.

I am using the fx-6300. Its a good cpu for gaming. I get good frames with my r9 270x. And its only around 100$ :D

Skyrim has issues with the AMD FX-8320 due to shitty optimisation and single coredness, but ESO will run fine. 

I run Skyrim fine with 52 mods and 2k textures on my 8320 :P