NZXT Hue 5v 4 pin to 5v 3 pin

aboxofdonuts

Just want to say a big thank you for the information in this thread.  Today I've got things all working with 2 hue+ controllers, 3 strips of generic addressable LEDs and 2 fans.  Next step is to work out the resistance to get non-NZXT RGB fans to daisy chain and I'm done.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to revive this once more.

I am also in a connundrum on this stupid propritery crap from these manufacturers on their lighting systems... So with that said, I have 3 NZXT AER RGB 2 fans with the LED source daisy chained and will be using one input only. So with the math...

3 x 8 = 24 LEDs coming off of 3 fans

With that said, I would need about 1.7k Ohm resistor then would this do? https://www.amazon.com/EDGELEC-Resistor-Tolerance-Resistance-Optional/dp/B07HDGLQ68/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=1.6k%2Bohm%2Bresistor&qid=1641521658&sprefix=1.6k%2Bohm%2B%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-3&th=1

I have no issue with soldering, but since I haven't done anything like this to a pc before (first time building), would placing the resistor behind the case (cabling/wiring side) next to other cables/wires be a problem with heat issue when the resistor gets hot? If it does, then I'll have to pull it and put it in front (display side of the case) so that it can benefit from the intake air. @aboxofdonuts

Once I have it corrected as 3 pin argb, I'll be plugging it directly into the 3 pin argb header in the motherboard (ASROCK X570 Taichi).

On another thought, what would happen if I don't put any resistance on the Wire-S (FD) wire and just connect the GND to the FD? I would think that the LED would come on but not controllable?

Thanks a lot for any help! I have used up all the USB 2 headers but not sure if getting a USB 2 splitter would help if I do end up going the controller route.

Nevermind, thanks to this thread I was able to easily modify the NZXT LED cable from 4 pins to 3 pins and hooked it up directly to the ASROCK X570 Mobo ARGB header without issues. All I did was taking a needle or something similar and push out the pin from the OUT female connector on both the pin #3 and #4 (GND and FD, respectively) then plug the GND into the 4th position (FD's position) then just electric tape up the FD wire. I didn't have a needle and decided to to use a flat cutter and trim out the nozzle tip for a super glue tube I got laying around into a needle like.

I can control the lighting using ASROCK polychrome software but since I daisy chained the 3 AER RGB2 fans I only see them as one. This is still good for me though.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive the old thread - can any of you guys here tinkering with NZXT RGB pinout help a buddy?

I have a nzxt rgb fan not detected by the controller. Other fans work, and when I set any led effect, and plug that fan into the controller - it works.

So the strip inside is all right, I assume some wrong value on signal pin for the controller.

Two things:
1. the pinouts you post - which side is left and which is right of the plug? Pleas take a look at attached pic - red or green version is correct?
2. Can anyone measure the resistance between their gnd and sense - what should it be for 12cm rgb fan to be properly recognized? I have measured SENSE-GND (according to red pinout) and it seem to ba ~35M on working fan and ~46Mohm on not recognised one.

nzxt plug.png

Edited by Tommeyy
update, typo fix

8 hours ago, Tommeyy said:

Sorry to revive the old thread - can any of you guys here tinkering with NZXT RGB pinout help a buddy?

I have a nzxt rgb fan not detected by the controller. Other fans work, and when I set any led effect, and plug that fan into the controller - it works.

So the strip inside is all right, I assume some wrong value on signal pin for the controller.

Two things:
1. the pinouts you post - which side is left and which is right of the plug? Pleas take a look at attached pic - red or green version is correct?
2. Can anyone measure the resistance between their gnd and sense - what should it be for 12cm rgb fan to be properly recognized? I have measured SENSE-GND (according to red pinout) and it seem to ba ~35M on working fan and ~46Mohm on not recognised one.

nzxt plug.png

looks likes its the red

i posted a pic of the controller and the other guy game me the pin out. the clip is at the top on the controller.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 6 months later...