NZXT Hue 5v 4 pin to 5v 3 pin

aboxofdonuts

Long story short, I broke an addressable header on my motherboard (no need to go into details, but it's my own stupid fault lol), but still need to power some addressable leds. Keeping in mind that not all of these leds are in the case, are WS2812B strips, and I can't change them to NZXT led strips.
I ordered the NZXT Hue 2 the other day, and am now realizing that it is 4 pin and not 3 pin. I can't return it yet since it's still on the way here, but I'd like to figure out if I can use it before returning it. 
I like how the cam software works with the individually addressable leds, and since I alread need to use cam for a fan controller, it would be great to use it for both fans and leds. 

I've found very little information on how the 4pin 5V led strips work. Looks like the layout is: Wire S (sometimes labeled as FD), Ground, D out/in, 5V
The layout for normal 5V addressable led strips is: Ground, D out/in, 5V

I'd like to be able to connect these two, and I was reading on this reddit link that they can be connected with a little soldering, and a resistor from the extra "Wire S" to ground. 

I'd love to just find an adapter, but there doesn't seem to be one. I also can't find any other posts about using non nzxt adressable leds with the nzxt hub. 
It's very tough to find more info since typing in anything to do with 4 pin leds automatically comes up with non addressable 4 pin 12V leds lol.

Has anybody attempted this before or has more info for me before I start cutting wires or return the hub?

7 hours ago, aboxofdonuts said:

Long story short, I broke an addressable header on my motherboard (no need to go into details, but it's my own stupid fault lol), but still need to power some addressable leds. Keeping in mind that not all of these leds are in the case, are WS2812B strips, and I can't change them to NZXT led strips.
I ordered the NZXT Hue 2 the other day, and am now realizing that it is 4 pin and not 3 pin. I can't return it yet since it's still on the way here, but I'd like to figure out if I can use it before returning it. 
I like how the cam software works with the individually addressable leds, and since I alread need to use cam for a fan controller, it would be great to use it for both fans and leds. 

I've found very little information on how the 4pin 5V led strips work. Looks like the layout is: Wire S (sometimes labeled as FD), Ground, D out/in, 5V
The layout for normal 5V addressable led strips is: Ground, D out/in, 5V

I'd like to be able to connect these two, and I was reading on this reddit link that they can be connected with a little soldering, and a resistor from the extra "Wire S" to ground. 

I'd love to just find an adapter, but there doesn't seem to be one. I also can't find any other posts about using non nzxt adressable leds with the nzxt hub. 
It's very tough to find more info since typing in anything to do with 4 pin leds automatically comes up with non addressable 4 pin 12V leds lol.

Has anybody attempted this before or has more info for me before I start cutting wires or return the hub?

sounds like its the same as corsair ground data in data out 5v but i think nzxt uses proprietary cone tors for there argb fans dont no about the rgb fans?

i do no that aquacomputer controller works with both corsair and nzxt with an adapter so.... that being said stuff that works with corsair should work with nzxt.

as to no what side is what is another thing... and i have no idea what connectors nzxt uses

also i be leave the nzxt grid v3 is the fan controller

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Bit of an update.....
I've found a bit of information on this topic by searching through some posts on random forums about the Hue+. Apparently the led strips themselves are the same with the pin layout. 
https://gist.github.com/jonasmalacofilho/262f382ccca8f414da64d161b9bc081f 
This is probably the most helpful link I could find, and it contains a ton of information about how much resistance is needed for certain types of devices (fans, strips, etc)

I tested my addressable leds with the hue already, but couldn't get them to work, so I'm assuming they NEED a resistor in order for the Hue2 hub to recognize them. I've ordered a pack of resistors and will solder some in when I get the chance, and I'll post back again if I can or can't get it to work.

Wish me luck lol

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, finally got around to doing this project, and I'm glad to say that it's successful!

Here is a diagram of the wire connections I made. The colors and orientation may be different for other brands of led strips, just gotta make sure they match up.
I used 2.5k ohms of resistance since I need all 40 leds to be available. This actually shows up as 4 strips in CAM, and each strip has 10 leds on it. 

Hopefully this can help someone out in the future.

If anybody is curious, the other attached picture is where some of the led strips are. Some will be in the computer soon, but these are the actual reason for the use of CAM and addressable leds. My computer area is basically surrounded by anime merch, and I've been 3d printing display cases for the figures. I figured it would be nice to be able to choose colors for the lighting in them. 

hue2 to 3pin leds.png

20191212_192736.jpg

• 8 months later...

Thank you so much @aboxofdonuts for doing the work. I didn't have a 2.5K resistor but I can confirm, with identical wiring, that a 1K resistor is working for me and I am now controlling a thermaltake fan (included with the UX200 cooler) with NZXT Cam. You're awesome!

19 minutes ago, amd_beast809 said:

Thank you so much @aboxofdonuts for doing the work. I didn't have a 2.5K resistor but I can confirm, with identical wiring, that a 1K resistor is working for me and I am now controlling a thermaltake fan (included with the UX200 cooler) with NZXT Cam. You're awesome!

would you happen to no the pin order? plz and thx

9133_05_nzxt-hue-2-ambient-v2-rgb-lighting-kit-review2.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Yes, @thrasher_565 the pins are 

1. 5V

2. DOUT

3. GND

4. WIRE-S

Follow the wiring diagram @aboxofdonuts provided. Essentially you short WIRE-S to Ground (GND) with a 1K-2.5K resistor then use DOUT and GND normally with your standard 5V rgb device.

40 minutes ago, amd_beast809 said:

Yes, @thrasher_565 the pins are 

1. 5V

2. DOUT

3. GND

4. WIRE-S

Follow the wiring diagram @aboxofdonuts provided. Essentially you short WIRE-S to Ground (GND) with a 1K-2.5K resistor then use DOUT and GND normally with your standard 5V rgb device.

thx

On 9/1/2020 at 3:12 AM, amd_beast809 said:

You're welcome! Glad this post could help another person. 

@thrasher_565
I just double checked to make sure, and yeah, @amd_beast809 is correct.
Don't forget to check how much resistance you need before wiring things up. 

2 minutes ago, aboxofdonuts said:

You're welcome! Glad this post could help another person. 

@thrasher_565
I just double checked to make sure, and yeah, @amd_beast809 is correct.
Don't forget to check how much resistance you need before wiring things up. 

i wanted it for my guides. so this not just help me but everyone that looks at me link that it haha ill make a link to this.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging up this one.

Someone on reddit pointed me to here.

For starters I will quote my OP from Reddit over here for context. (or you can visit the link to read it there)

I have 3 argb 120 fans from Antec (Prizm)

image.png.47eb185bf45cc956f2374474db5f1e25.png

That have 5V argb connectors like these. Op from Reddit is as below.

So I have bought these https://www.nzxt.com/products/rgb-fan-controller hoping that there'd be essential cables. BUT there is no cable supplied to connect with the LED / RGB ports.

I have 3 Antec Prizm ARGB fans with those 3 pin headers. Which cable / adapter / converter do I need to connect those fans with this controller.

Search results seem to indicate that these are 5v LEDs in the fan and the NZXT controllers are 12V
So, would something like the following deepcool voltage converter for the LEDs work with the NZXT controller?
https://mdcomputers.in/deepcool-gamerstorm-rgb-dp-frgb-chub5-12v.html

All this hassle because my Asus Z170 pd3 motherboard does not have an ARGB / RGB / LED header and I do not want to upgrade the motherboard right now.

Now my question is, what @aboxofdonuts showed here seems to be for 3 pins that are consecutively next to each other with the end pin (4rth?) being absent.
But the standard argb cables has the gap in between - what seems to me to be - the 2nd and 4rth pin.

Could someone please tell me what connections I could make to make this argb nzxt fan controller work with these antec fans?

edit :
To make life easier for anyone trying to help me. Here's what I think
is the standard layout for the argb pins.
https://microless.com/cdn/product_description/7026040_1601470818.jpg

5 minutes ago, legendster said:

For starters I will quote my OP from Reddit over here for context. (or you can visit the link to read it there)

Now my question is, what @aboxofdonuts showed here seems to be for 3 pins that are consecutively next to each other with the end on not present. But the standard argb cables has the gap in between - what seems to me to be - the 2nd and 4rth pin.

Could someone please tell me what connections I could make to make this argb nzxt fan controller work with these antec fans?

On the contrary if someone can tell me if something like this exists for NZXT products as well.. like 5v 4 pin nzxt to 5v 3 pin argb .. maybe my issue would be resolved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-Aura-Mystic-Light-Motherboard-A-RGB-Adapter-/372521827376

image.png.1f1da24a1acfe577ed3d4d9337fa01a3.png

40 minutes ago, legendster said:

On the contrary if someone can tell me if something like this exists for NZXT products as well.. like 5v 4 pin nzxt to 5v 3 pin argb .. maybe my issue would be resolved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-Aura-Mystic-Light-Motherboard-A-RGB-Adapter-/372521827376

image.png.1f1da24a1acfe577ed3d4d9337fa01a3.png

i have not seen a cable

49 minutes ago, legendster said:

Now my question is, what @aboxofdonuts showed here seems to be for 3 pins that are consecutively next to each other with the end pin (4rth?) being absent.
But the standard argb cables has the gap in between - what seems to me to be - the 2nd and 4rth pin.

edit :
To make life easier for anyone trying to help me. Here's what I think
is the standard layout for the argb pins.
https://microless.com/cdn/product_description/7026040_1601470818.jpg

i have a guide on it you have to make it your self thow

It could be as simple as this.
The wiring should be basically the same. As long as 5v goes to 5v, D goes to D, and ground goes to ground, while adding the correct amount of resistance to the wire-s going back to the controller

If that controller came with the cables that go from the controller itself (also pictured) to the nzxt led strips/fans/etc, you may have to use that to create a cord that connects to the fans. 
If you have some wire strippers, soldering iron, and some resistors, should be able to make it up in no time at all. 

1.png

20201222_215735.jpg

Will these carbon film resistors of 2.2k work?
image.thumb.png.1b7d0414b0e950b713d12bbf7b2d7b02.png(picture from Amazon.in)

I will go to the local radio shack to buy em instead of buying from online but still I need to know what to look for.

Yes those will work, however that is the wrong amount of ohms for what you are connecting. 
Your post says 2 argb fans, look in the github link in my post towards the beginning of this thread to make sure you use the right amount of ohms. I think it's 560 ohms. (not Kohms)

Excuse the nervous voice, I rarely make videos and I was just doing this off the top of my head lol.
Hopefully this helps. 

On 12/24/2020 at 1:59 AM, aboxofdonuts said:

Excuse the nervous voice, I rarely make videos and I was just doing this off the top of my head lol.
Hopefully this helps. 

Thank to your post, I have ordered some cables like this from local manufacturers. Will update here on the results. 

To update on above post, and having no skill at soldering, I have procured 3pcs of such cables from local sellers who are willing to manufacture them. We decided to go with the maximum resistance value to trick CAM into thinking all 40 LEDS are present. And it works! 

Said cable:

IMG_1242.thumb.jpg.2fe9ebe129be8af16bb541b57e89d710.jpg

Cabling done (as best as I could):

IMG_1244.thumb.jpg.b225329c25612cacb01ba22f5f053d8e.jpg

First test with Spectrum Wave theme:

IMG_1243.thumb.jpg.451900b095956514bdb735b79b0cf77b.jpg

Final version Cyberpunk 2077 theme:

IMG_1246.thumb.jpg.ba25203b8fa689150fa623b513710b2f.jpg

CAM detection:

IMG_1247.thumb.jpg.3a18be144e5a6ef177131d5357e087eb.jpg

I split all fans and case LED as follows:

1. Smart Device v2 channel 1: rear and Kraken x63 fans

2. Smart Device v2 channel 2: front fans

3. Kraken x63 LED Channel: case LEDs from the p500a

All 6 fans are controlled by CAM via Smart Device v2. I pried this box from my old h510i case.

All in all, many thanks to the OP who initiated the idea and best of lucks to the rest who will attempt this. 

5 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

To update on above post, and having no skill at soldering, I have procured 3pcs of such cables from local sellers who are willing to manufacture them. We decided to go with the maximum resistance value to trick CAM into thinking all 40 LEDS are present. And it works! 

Said cable:

IMG_1242.thumb.jpg.2fe9ebe129be8af16bb541b57e89d710.jpg

Cabling done (as best as I could):

IMG_1244.thumb.jpg.b225329c25612cacb01ba22f5f053d8e.jpg

First test with Spectrum Wave theme:

IMG_1243.thumb.jpg.451900b095956514bdb735b79b0cf77b.jpg

Final version Cyberpunk 2077 theme:

IMG_1246.thumb.jpg.ba25203b8fa689150fa623b513710b2f.jpg

CAM detection:

IMG_1247.thumb.jpg.3a18be144e5a6ef177131d5357e087eb.jpg

I split all fans and case LED as follows:

1. Smart Device v2 channel 1: rear and Kraken x63 fans

2. Smart Device v2 channel 2: front fans

3. Kraken x63 LED Channel: case LEDs from the p500a

All 6 fans are controlled by CAM via Smart Device v2. I pried this box from my old h510i case.

All in all, many thanks to the OP who initiated the idea and best of lucks to the rest who will attempt this. 

This is super cool. Hey can you ship couple of these to me to India? I wanna DIY but I haven't begun yet and I wanna have a control group that works, so even if I mess shit up, it works.

5 minutes ago, legendster said:

This is super cool. Hey can you ship couple of these to me to India? I wanna DIY but I haven't begun yet and I wanna have a control group that works, so even if I mess shit up, it works.

You can try contacting the seller. Maybe he can ship directly to you. 

https://shopee.com.my/despace?categoryId=174&itemId=3945309503

If not, I'll try to help you. 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:01 PM, Imannudein said:

You can try contacting the seller. Maybe he can ship directly to you. 

https://shopee.com.my/despace?categoryId=174&itemId=3945309503

If not, I'll try to help you. 

I tried to register at Shopee but they only work with local mobile numbers I think. And w/o phone verification they won't let you chat / send messages with sellers. image.png.cd203be4fcfa82cf7ec9b57bca15150f.png

I'll send you a DM. I can paypal you, and you can order for me with my address?

• 3 weeks later...

Seems the seller is now selling the cable on the store

I can't create an account without a Malaysian phone number, does somebody know a way to bypass this ?

Or if someone is willing to help me buy some and send them to me, I'll happily give a little something as a thank you !

EDIT: Managed to create an account using Google sign in but can't contact seller without verifying phone number.

So as far as we have figured out - the resistance is to tell the NZXT hue controller how many addressable leds are in the chain and if there is no resistor then they the addressable led device is not recognised by the NZXT controler.

So by adding in a resistor from ground to the fourth connection they will come up on the NZXT controller.

BUT, going the other way, if you have a NZXT case with NZXT fans and a led strip (all with four pin cables) and you would like to use a controller with the standard three pin (with a gap) argb header - you would just have to make sure that three of the four pins line up with +5v, data and ground and just ignoring the fourth wire as this is just used on the NZXT Hue and select other controlers?