Does a front panel USB C port need its own header?

I am considering upgrading my case to the Fractal Design Define R6.  I've noticed that most of these cases on sale at New Egg are the USB C variant.  While I don't currently have any need for a type C port on my PC, if I am going to have a case with a Type C front port, I might as well have it work.  Type C seems to be the future.  I have a Gigabyte Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard which has 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 header.  The Define R6 has 2 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB C port.  Does anyone know if the Type C port is going to need its own header or if Fractal designed it such that the Type C port is part of the USB 3.0 connection?  I suppose they could have it part of the 2.0 connection, but I can't imagine why they would do that.  If it does need its own header, can anyone recommend an appropriate expansion card?  I've seen expansion card that offer Type C ports, but they are for the rear of the case.  I'm not against adding a rear Type C port, but it's the front port I am concerned about.  Thanks in advance.

The port seems to be USB 3.1 Gen 2, which has a different header from USB 3.0 (aka 3.1 Gen 1).

51gb8dcGUiL._SL1000_.jpg

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

25 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

If it does need its own header, can anyone recommend an appropriate expansion card?

Something like this? (First hit on Google for "expansion card usb 3.1 gen 2 header", not sure if it's any good)

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Internal-Connector-Type-C/dp/B07R2MH4KV

You can use an adapter like this if you can fit it, which is often an issue in SFF (although that case isn't SFF, you should have ample room):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y488L11/ref=emc_b_5_i

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You can use an adapter like this if you can fit it, which is often an issue in SFF (although that case isn't SFF, you should have ample room):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y488L11/ref=emc_b_5_i

You'd lose that header for front side USB 3.0 and be limited to 3.0 speeds though, wouldn't you? As far as I can see the R6 uses both ports, the 3.1 header for USB-C and the 3.0 header for the other front side ports.

• 3 months later...

Ok so i got the R6 with USB C front panel.  The issue is i don't see any separated wire or connector coming from the front panel specific to the USB.  I have everything else PW, HD, etc. headers hooked up properly and USB C doesn't seem to be functioning.  I have traced all the cables coming from the front panel and there are no additional headers that i have not already connected. 

What am i missing?

I just transferred the PC I built last summer into the Fractal R6 and I noticed the same thing, or more accurately didn't notice a cable to connect the USB C port to the MOBO.  I was wondering if by plugging the USB 3 header into the MOBO I was also connecting the USB C port.  But I don't have any USB C peripherals with which to test the port.  Honestly, I would have bought a Fractal R6  without the USB C port, but I didn't see any for sale.  So I don't care very much, but it is curious that neither of our cases seems to have a wire to connect it.

Case USB-C comes with a new connector that the mobo needs to have a header for.

maxresdefault.jpg.b41b217fc39b423a593834fcbf903b6c.jpg

main-qimg-6cb9ed8ce601f0020d0d102f67259051.jpg.0768663877563ee10a68e2fa1d3a3652.jpg

There are adapters if you don't have one but have a free USB3 header: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173846098864

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 1 month later...

I just bought this case, and I also cannot see any cable to connect the usb-c front panel port. Did anyone figure out what's going on? Have Fractal Design messed up?

13 minutes ago, samphire said:

I just bought this case, and I also cannot see any cable to connect the usb-c front panel port. Did anyone figure out what's going on? Have Fractal Design messed up?

It definitely requires a seperate cable as it supports fast charging and 10Gbps. I just checked the case manual and it shows a seperate cable.