Mixed Reality Headsets: Opinions?

Video Beagle

I'm toying with the idea of getting a "mixed reality" headset, like HP's or Samsung's HMD Odessy.   I'd like to dabble with VR, but I'm not gonna go all hog wild into the big games like Linus does in his reviews... maybe some basic games, VR movies..stuff like that..

Has anyone played around with such things? any recommendations, opinions, or advice?

(I have a Tek VR headset.. the $30 walmart thing...it works a bit with Steam VR, though I'm still sorting out the controller...which without I'm not able to move about in steam vr home and really do stuff, but can look around, and do some video, so is a bit of fun).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Where I am from, VR and MR is very expensive. However I was able to score a Lenovo MR Kit on clearence for $250, down from $700. I love this thing. I use it exactly for what you want. It definately helps that on Steam, there is a plugin for Steam VR on MR, which streamlines the process. It is definately a low budget VR option, with the main downside is the specs of the kits compared to a Vive, or Rift Kit.

For Context: In Australia, a Vive Pro Kit costs $2199 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42283/htc-vive-pro-virtual-reality-headset-kit

Yeah.. right now the samsung is 50%ish off at $229

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Wireless-Controllers-XE800ZBA-HC1US/dp/B07HS7R1RT/

Sadly, Linus and co never reviewed it...I watched a review video by some guy which was very possitive, but not someone I've seen before, so shurg

Hopfuelly more folks will chime in with thoughts while I sleep :)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

Did I not sleep enough? Where's my tech enthusiests at?

22 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Did I not sleep enough? Where's my tech enthusiests at?

If you can get them cheap they are a functional VR headset that can play everything a more expensive headset can.  The issue is the 2 camera inside out tracking they use allows the controllers to drift or loose tracking when they aren't directly in front of you.

This is a problem with all camera based tracking headsets like the Rift S and HTC Cosmos as well but those have added extra cameras so the total volume of tracked space is larger than the 2 front facing cameras the WMR headsets use.

I have an original Samsung Odessey (non + version) that I was using for flight sims and it works pretty well for that as the screen resolution is on par with most of the higher end headsets.

Since I was using a Hotas and pedals, the controller tracking wasn't an issue in this case. Same with Racing if you are using a FFB wheel/pedals.

I have used the controllers in Onward, Creed, and a few other games and you can get away with it but you will 100% notice the limits of where the cameras are able to see the controllers and where they can't.

The + Version adds a coating to the screens that helps reduce the screen door effect (being able to see the grid of pixels) but has the side effect of making the image a bit blurrier. This might be an issue in a flight sim etc where you are trying to read gauges or displays but could be a bonus for games where you aren't so focused on fine details.

It also has a Bluetooth receiver built in so you don't need to have one on your motherboard or buy a BT dongle to pair the controllers.

If you can afford a Rift S, it will probably give you a better overall experience than the odessy but if you just want to get a usable VR kit for as cheap as possible the Odessy is probably the way to go.

Their are also some mods you can do to the Odessy to make it a bit more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

• 1 month later...

Well I got the Odessy +...and finally set it up before 2019 ended and messed arond a little in te Windows Mixed Reality home and the Steam VR home...it's rather cool....next day or so, I'll try out some actual programs.