Upgrading 980Ti to 2080 / 2080 Super / 2080 TI (Maybe)

SuperStephen

Hello Friends!

Not to long ago I finally upgraded and built myself a "new" PC but didn't upgrade the GPU. I figured my EVGA 980Ti Hybrid would hold me over for a while, but I am ready to upgrade. Right now I have a 8700K that has been OC'd to 5.0 Ghz on all cores (1.28v not delided, Corsair AIO.... is that a good chip?) , 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz Memory (running XMP, CL 16) on an Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC) Motherboard. I have two Acer 1440p 144hz (one can OC to 165 hz) IPS Monitors connected to my GPU. I would Ideally like to easily hit 144hz+ on all or most games out currently (future maybe too ?). The game I actively play the most right now is Black Desert Online, honestly CPU is the major factor here, but I would like to move onto other games and play with the highest settings for 1440p game play. I have also started getting into Streaming and with my current setup its okay, but not the greatest. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I will do my best to answer any questions, but as always THANK YOU to anyone and everyone that takes the time to reply!

6 minutes ago, SuperStephen said:

Hello Friends!

Not to long ago I finally upgraded and built myself a "new" PC but didn't upgrade the GPU. I figured my EVGA 980Ti Hybrid would hold me over for a while, but I am ready to upgrade. Right now I have a 8700K that has been OC'd to 5.0 Ghz on all cores (1.28v not delided, Corsair AIO.... is that a good chip?) , 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz Memory (running XMP, CL 16) on an Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC) Motherboard. I have two Acer 1440p 144hz (one can OC to 165 hz) IPS Monitors connected to my GPU. I would Ideally like to easily hit 144hz+ (one monitor OC'd to 165hz) on all or most games out currently (future maybe too ?). The game I actively play the most right now is Black Desert Online, honestly CPU is the major factor here, but I would like to move onto other games and play with the highest settings for 1440p game play. I have also started getting into Streaming and with my current setup its okay, but not the greatest. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I will do my best to answer any questions, but as always THANK YOU to anyone and everyone that takes the time to reply!

I have the exact same mobo and chip... and have it OC'd to 5ghz as well. I have a 2080 Ti Strix... Pretty much everything is 144 fps+ 

On BDO when there's a ton of things on screen happening I may dip a little below that, but overall its above 144fps. Another example, MW with raytracing off and at max settings I'm constantly at 150-165fps at 1440p. With raytracing on, I'm around 100-110.

You will have those games such as borderlands 3 or fallen order where the game is absolutely not optimized and you won't get 144+ unless you turn down the settings. Just remember that.

For money sake, a 2080 Super may be the best bet.

2080 Super would be the best bang/buck for your use case if you wanna slap settings to max. A 2070 Super would do that in most titles at either ultra or high in more demanding ones though. Used 1080 Ti would be an excellent option on a budget. 

Given that you can buy two 2070 Supers for less than a 2080 Ti it's not really the best deal unless you want the absolute best single card and/or insist on highest settings possible 4K. 

8700K at 5Ghz will keep up with any of those GPUs just fine, so the choice is yours. AFAIK 5.0 at 1.28v is quite good as well.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Thanks for the suggestions and replies @Zando Bob & @Squanchy! @Squanchy Are you running in Remastered in BDO or what settings do you typically use. Also do you see your Strix card run hot at all in most games you play or is it pretty cool. I have been a big fan of the water cooled AIO for GPUs but if the Air Coolers are solid I might choose one of those instead. I have the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic Case with 3 fans pulling in cool air, and the CPU + GPU are blowing (pulling) out the hot air. @Zando Bob I considered going SLI / NVLink but I think for now I am gonna stick with single card, so max single card performance is key for me. For the marginal performance boost does the 2080 Super really make itself more impressive over the 2080 for the extra $$. If I didn't go and break the bank for a 2080 Ti, I would use the extra money saved on the on 2080 / 2080 super to help build my stream with either a stream deck , or capture hardware if I can take this 980Ti and put it into my super old 4670k build and use that as the stream pc.

1 hour ago, SuperStephen said:

Thanks for the suggestions and replies @Zando Bob & @Squanchy! @Squanchy Are you running in Remastered in BDO or what settings do you typically use. Also do you see your Strix card run hot at all in most games you play or is it pretty cool. I have been a big fan of the water cooled AIO for GPUs but if the Air Coolers are solid I might choose one of those instead. I have the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic Case with 3 fans pulling in cool air, and the CPU + GPU are blowing (pulling) out the hot air. @Zando Bob I considered going SLI / NVLink but I think for now I am gonna stick with single card, so max single card performance is key for me. For the marginal performance boost does the 2080 Super really make itself more impressive over the 2080 for the extra $$. If I didn't go and break the bank for a 2080 Ti, I would use the extra money saved on the on 2080 / 2080 super to help build my stream with either a stream deck , or capture hardware if I can take this 980Ti and put it into my super old 4670k build and use that as the stream pc.

I was in remastered, I currently don't have it installed so I can't bench it for you. But I remember it was 130+ fps most of the time. Until, I did massive killing like at sausans or went into a big city.

My strix card never goes past 70c, usually is around 65c. fans are usually at about 40% as well.

Edit: In BDO's settings make sure you uncheck low power mode.

1 hour ago, SuperStephen said:

Hello Friends!

Not to long ago I finally upgraded and built myself a "new" PC but didn't upgrade the GPU. I figured my EVGA 980Ti Hybrid would hold me over for a while, but I am ready to upgrade. Right now I have a 8700K that has been OC'd to 5.0 Ghz on all cores (1.28v not delided, Corsair AIO.... is that a good chip?) , 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz Memory (running XMP, CL 16) on an Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC) Motherboard. I have two Acer 1440p 144hz (one can OC to 165 hz) IPS Monitors connected to my GPU. I would Ideally like to easily hit 144hz+ on all or most games out currently (future maybe too ?). The game I actively play the most right now is Black Desert Online, honestly CPU is the major factor here, but I would like to move onto other games and play with the highest settings for 1440p game play. I have also started getting into Streaming and with my current setup its okay, but not the greatest. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I will do my best to answer any questions, but as always THANK YOU to anyone and everyone that takes the time to reply!

Just dropping by to say I got that same GPU and it's been a champ, runs all my games at 1440p with max settings. I might not hit 144Hz in every title, but I haven't found a game yet to challenge it. Then again I play mostly older titles (>2012) so perhaps that plays a part. But concerning an upgrade to a 2080 series, I've heard rumblings that we could 3000 series cards as early as Q1 or Q2 of 2020, so perhaps it might beneficial to see how that plays out? Might affect prices for current gen as well. Just a thought.