CPU Idles at 50 C, Plays Games at up to 100 C

Ive been noticing over the past 3 days that my CPU idles at around 50 C. If I was using this computer to do work, I wouldn't be worried. The bad part is that because of this strange extra heat, I run games at up to 100 C, causing a BSOD and no fun. I recently cleaned all of my fans and applied new thermal paste. I have made sure everything is seated right and there are no problems with hardware. The CPU stays at a normal use of about 10% while idle. My CPU is not overclocked. Connected will be a CPU-Z screenshot of my CPU and a HWMonitor screenshot.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cpu stuff.JPG

cpu stuff 2.JPG

cpu stuff 3.JPG

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

10% is not idle. How many watts are you consuming while "idling"?

where do I check

1 minute ago, Tech Deck said:

where do I check

Scroll down from your second screenshot and look for Powers > Package.

5 minutes ago, badreg said:

10% is not idle. How many watts are you consuming while "idling"?

cpu watts.JPG

what is your cooler?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

2 minutes ago, Tech Deck said:

cpu watts.JPG

Try reseating your cooler. Idle power usage looks fine.

2 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

what is your cooler?

some stock intel fan

15 hours ago, Tech Deck said:

some stock intel fan

have you thought of buying even a cheap aftermarket cooler?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Just now, Martin2132 said:

have you thought of buying even a cheap aftermarket cooler?

i was thinking of watercooling

1 minute ago, badreg said:

Try reseating your cooler. Idle power usage looks fine.

i have my computer laying down i might not need to

I'm betting not enough mounting pressure

The stock Intel fan tabs can be tricky

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

14 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

I'm betting not enough mounting pressure

the fan has pins not screws

10 minutes ago, Tech Deck said:

the fan has pins not screws

The pins can be tricky to make sure they are actually locked down.

I've had them seemingly locked down but they aren't. They are not very user friendly in terms of re-installation after the first time. The tabs that lock I to the board need to be closed before you push them I to the board, then the pin goes in and turn

I'd try mounting it again

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

46 minutes ago, Tech Deck said:

i have my computer laying down i might not need to

Mmm... no. Horizontal motherboard helps but not that much.  The whole metal to metal connection needs to be tight.  That’s why thermal paste exists.  To assist that connection.  Thermal paste is actually a fairly lousy conductor.  It’s just a lot better than air.  

there’s got to be a “how to correctly mount a CPU cooler” tutorial around here somewhere.

can anyone throw a link?

the old 1150 stock coolers had really annoying plastic pin things.  They break and they’re easy to mess up.  That’s a 4790k. The hardest core CPU ever put out for that socket it’s an over clocking beast.  It runs hot.  I considered buying one used recently.   An intel stock fan on that thing is arguably a minor sin.  I’ve got a mere 4770k and it’s on a six pipe tower cooler with diamond paste.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think the problem is that the IHS is not soldered and the thermal paste between the CPU and the IHS is dry.

Dry thermal paste can act as an insulator,you might need to delid your CPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I think the problem is that the IHS is not soldered and the thermal paste between the CPU and the IHS is dry.

Dry thermal paste can act as an insulator,you might need to delid your CPU.

Nah.  It would make for better overclock, but he’s got a silly little intel stock cooler on it.  A remounting with an appropriate cooler should help a heck of a lot.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Nah.  It would make for better overclock, but he’s got a silly little intel stock cooler on it.  A remounting with an appropriate cooler should help a heck of a lot.

That's a 5 years old thermal paste it won't transfer as much heat as it should have.

And such old paste can definitely cause this problem,if i understand correctly those temps didn't happen in the past,an indicator that it is probably not the cooler.

I think this CPU needs to get delidded.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, Vishera said:

That's a 5 years old thermal paste it won't transfer as much heat as it should have.

And such old paste can definitely cause this problem,if i understand correctly those temps didn't happen in the past,an indicator that it is probably not the cooler.

i reapplied thermal paste yesterday

5 minutes ago, Tech Deck said:

i reapplied thermal paste yesterday

There is also a thermal paste under the metal "plate" of the CPU,

It was a d*ck move from Intel to put thermal paste there instead of soldering the metal "plate" to the CPU.

Intel did it because thermal paste is cheaper than soldering.

There are special tools that make delidding easier and safer,you don't want your to damage your CPU after all.

Here is a video of Linus delidding a CPU:

27 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Sure.  You don’t need to pop the lid though. Especially for an already inadequate crap cooler like he’s got.  That’s a $200 cpu on eBay right now.  Same price as a 3600x.

to pop the lid he’s got to buy a tool more expensive than a new cooler anyway so it’s not a $0 solution to begin with.  Clean off the old past with alcohol, get some decent paste and a decent cooler (decent cooler may come with paste) and try that first.  Probably better cooling for less $ and he doesn’t ruin a $200 cpu.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Sure.  You don’t need to pop the lid though. Especially for an already inadequate crap cooler like he’s got.  That’s a $200 cpu on eBay right now.  Same price as a 3600x.

to pop the lid he’s got to buy a tool more expensive than a new cooler anyway so it’s not a $0 solution to begin with.  Clean off the old past with alcohol, get some decent paste and a decent cooler (decent cooler may come with paste) and try that first.  Probably better cooling for less $

I have some Arctic Silver 5 already on there which I would say is pretty good so I probably should just get a new cooler?

Just now, Tech Deck said:

I have some Arctic Silver 5 already on there which I would say is pretty good so I probably should just get a new cooler?

I admit a bias.  I covet your CPU.  There is a certain desire to treat it like the lady it is. The intel stock cooler is famously inadequate for that chip.  Especially if you want to overclock.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

to pop the lid he’s got to buy a tool more expensive than a new cooler anyway so it’s not a $0 solution to begin with.  Clean off the old past with alcohol, get some decent paste and a decent cooler (decent cooler may come with paste) and try that first.  Probably better cooling for less $ and he doesn’t ruin a $200 cpu.

No you don't you can do it with a vice if you are careful about it, take a razor around the edge to remove as much adhesive as possible beforehand

his chip is garbo until this is fixed, so its worth the small-risk, so long as Tech Deck doesn't have the nickname mcshakeyhands irl he'll be fine with just a regular vice you can get from harbor freight for like 15$ https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps-vises/vises-anvils/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

to pop the lid he’s got to buy a tool more expensive than a new cooler anyway so it’s not a $0 solution to begin with.  Clean off the old past with alcohol, get some decent paste and a decent cooler (decent cooler may come with paste) and try that first.  Probably better cooling for less $

It may not solve the problem,when the TIM between the CPU and IHS is bad,it can cause heat to get trapped inside the CPU package,

Since i don't know how bad is the situation there,there is a chance that a better cooler won't be able to compensate for the bad TIM.