CPU Idles at 50 C, Plays Games at up to 100 C

7 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

No you don't you can do it with a vice if you are careful about it, take a razor around the edge to remove as much adhesive as possible beforehand

his chip is garbo until this is fixed, so its worth the small-risk, so long as Tech Deck doesn't have the nickname mcshakeyhands irl he'll be fine with just a regular vice you can get from harbor freight for like 15$ https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps-vises/vises-anvils/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html

Yep. And if you screw it up (which happens a lot) you’re hosed.  Also a delided cpu is nearly valueless.  You never know if they will work because so many people went with the vice/facto method and ruined them.  The advantage of the tool is it limits movement which is the biggest danger. It’s easy to slip and chip the silicon in which case it’s game over

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It takes time but its worth it

17 minutes ago, Tech Deck said:

I have some Arctic Silver 5 already on there which I would say is pretty good so I probably should just get a new cooler?

when you stress the CPU and it gets near 100C, do you notice in HWMonitor if its very different temps on the cores, like 10-20C different with one core getting to 100C before the others, or are they all within 5C of eachother?  If you are seeing a large difference then that definitely indicates the thermal compound under the IHS has gone bad

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep. And if you screw it up (which happens a lot) you’re hosed.  Also a delided cpu is nearly valueless.  You never know if they will work because so many people went with the vice/facto method and ruined them

assuming he occasionally sells components hows selling a defective component on ebay, facebook market or letgo going to look on his profile if this is the issue.  its an old intel even if it has value, and if its not working without a delid the most practical solution is to learn how to fix it yourself, i don't know anybody whose been careful doing the a delid with a vice whose fucked it up, you have to be explicitly sloppy while doing it to screw up

it takes time and care but its not brain surgery 

1 minute ago, Otto_iii said:

sure it might be worth doing a simple re-application thermal paste first, but i thought he said he already did that.  You aren't going to lose anything from delidding it, cleaning out the old garbage intel paste (which frequently, like in this post goes to crap after about 5 years) and and putting it all back together.  It takes time but its worth it

when you stress the CPU and it gets near 100C, do you notice in HWMonitor if its very different temps on the cores, like 10-20C different with one core getting to 100C before the others, or are they all within 5C of eachother?  If you are seeing a large difference then that definitely indicates the thermal compound under the IHS has gone bad

Well there is that $200.  Even if you successfully delis resale value is gone.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Otto_iii said:

sure it might be worth doing a simple re-application thermal paste first, but i thought he said he already did that.  You aren't going to lose anything from delidding it, cleaning out the old garbage intel paste (which frequently, like in this post goes to crap after about 5 years) and and putting it all back together.  It takes time but its worth it

let me test real quick

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well there is that $200.  Even if you successfully delis resale value is gone.

i sell my old hardware, and i expect to continue to sell it because i have a decent enough rep people are willing to buy from me, selling a defective product, especially something that costs 200$, is a good way to lose ones ability to demand reasonably (high) prices and quick sales

3 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

assuming he occasionally sells components hows selling a defective component on facebook market or letgo going to look on his profile if this is the issue.  its an old intel even if it has value, and if its not working without a delid the most practical solution is to learn how to fix it yourself, i don't know anybody whose been careful doing the a delid with a vice whose fucked it up, you have to be explicitly sloppy while doing it to screw up

You make a possible point.  I suspect the crap cooler over the TIM under the spreader though.  How does the TIM dry out of it’s sealed?

One question not answered is how long the thing ran on that stock cooler though.  If he was getting sub 50c temps for a long time before, it could be true.  If he Delora though he’s either got to put the spreader back on or get a new cooler anyway.  

5 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Not necessarily,if the paste is completely dry then the temperature difference will look normal.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

By all means he can clean, reseat, apply better thermal past before doing a delip, just saying if its not fixing the issue it might be his only option, and he would be be far from the only person whose had to do this with intels pre-9000 series 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

How does the TIM dry out of it’s sealed?

It dries out like how baloons lose their helium,and they are sealed significantly better.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

It takes time but its worth it

after testing now it seems that the pc likes to BSOD at around 81 degrees. The core temps, however, stay within 5 to 7 C of eachother

You know, I was guessing this was a 4th gen i7 on a stock cooler and yep, it's a 4th gen i7 on a stock cooler. I kinda just slapped a Gammaxx GT on it and called it a day.

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It dries out like how baloons lose their helium,and they are sealed significantly better.

So you’re saying a long chain hydrocarbon goes through solid metal like He2 goes through latex.  It literally propagates between the molecules.  Yeeeeaaahhh...  No.  

there would have to be a break in the seal.  A break in the seal IS possible.

It could also possibly-maybe-perhaps propagate through the edge seal.  I kinda doubt it, though it’s less unlikely than propagating through solid aluminum.

so what it seems like is delid and keep the old cooler, delid and replace the cooler, or replace the cooler and possibly delid.

delidding risks fragging the whole Machine.  1150 CPUs generally aren’t worth replacing.

Lets run the scenarios:

-delid successful, getting the old cooler off and back on again without breaking the old plastic pins successful. Probability of success unknown.  $0. 
-delid unsuccessful. Buy an new rig -$? 1k+?
-new cooler replacement (success near 100%) cooling adequate.  Cost $30(?)

-new cooler replacement BUT cooling NOT adequate. Cost $30(?) return to top.  Cooler can still be used on new rig if it comes to that.

I don't think OP should delid, it totally ruins the resale value, plus, there's a chance of killing the CPU. I'd suggest the OP get a more effective 3rd party cooler (be it WC or air-cooled) and see where he lands. It's also quite possible, as someone had pointed out, that the cooler isn't properly mounted on the CPU, I recall having a bad time mounting certain Intel compatible cooler on Intel CPU's. I have a Haswell i7 4770K with a Thermaltake 360 AIO and temps are just great, I don't recall seeing it go anywhere near 75C under load. I now use that rig as my HTPC......

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I say at least try a better cooler first.  Get one that is both AM4 and 1150 compatible (like a hyper212) if it doesn’t work, at least he no longer has to worry about old cooler pins, and if it all goes to hell the cooler is still useful on the new rig.

@Tech Deck If you're not comfortable potentially ruining a perfectly good CPU, don't try de-lidding it. It sounds like you should be fine if you replace the stock cooler with a better aftermarket one. I'd try that FIRST, before anything else, because if it works then great, you're done. If not, then you could look into de-lidding if you feel comfortable risking it. Always start with the safest option first! It will save you a lot of headache and potentially money.

Also if he winds up with a delidded 4790k with a decent cooler on it near 5ghz should be cake and the thing may live on a long time.

4 hours ago, Tech Deck said:

after testing now it seems that the pc likes to BSOD at around 81 degrees. The core temps, however, stay within 5 to 7 C of eachother

ok yeah maybe just get a cooler then, hope it goes well 

i love you

Quick update, I've messed around a little in BIOS and in my pc, the Idle is now back down to 39 - 40 C. And the idle cpu usage went down to where it should be. Im pretty sure my pc overclocked my cpu and I didnt want it to.