Where can I get z170/270 motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,
5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I thought the general recommendation was not to OC Ryzen processors due to PBO being generally better?

The 65w 1st/2nd gen chips are an exception; they have pitifully low all-core boost functionality and need an OC to wake them up.

The 2700 for example likes to chill at 3.4ghz left to its own behavior

Hi everyone, I'm about to move to a new city and need to reassemble my PC into a smaller case (mini-ITX prefered) so that I can carry it easily. I've done some research but found that the new motherboard would not compatible with the older gen CPUs. My current CPU is a i7-6700k and I wanna ask where can i find a older board that work with my CPU perfectly? Also I heard that older board should be cheaper than the newer one since they do not work with the newer gen CPU... I'm now live in Vancouver, Canada, any recommended boards and recommended places/website that i can find those boards?

I've been watching Linus for a looooong time but this is actually my first time to be in this forum......

17 minutes ago, Jack_G said:

i7-6700k

This CPU is still expensive, even used, and even though it is just an old 4C/8T CPU which is going to become a 10th gen i3 quite soon ? It is not worth holding on to.

I would recommend selling it instead, and buying a modern i5 6C/6T with a motherboard, or an R5 6C/12T with a motherboard.

As for a Z170/270 motherboard, this is still much better idea than using it with a 6700K ?

Edited by 1van

z170/z270 motherboards are in a weird spot right now. No one is making them anymore but the i7 6xxx 7xxx series CPUs are still really viable for gaming and other task so the price has gone up. 

Buying second hand can save you a bit of money. I think there is an Acer z170 on newegg going for $70 that is still a good option if you don't want to take the chance on a used one. Most new z170/270 are looking around $120. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 minute ago, 1van said:

This CPU is still expensive, even used, and even though it is just an old 4C/8T CPU which is going to become a 10th gen i3 quite soon ? It is not worth holding on to.

I would recommend selling it instead, and buying a modern i5 6C/6T with a motherboard, or an R5 6C/12T with a motherboard.

I like this idea. Honestly you can get a 2700x with a motherboard combo from microcenter for less then you will sell the 6700k for. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

8 minutes ago, 1van said:

As for a Z170/270 motherboard, this is still much better idea than using it with a 6700K ?

It still kills every single Game out there.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, 1van said:

Love your idea man. I know AMD did a really good job recently and amd motherboard usually cheaper than intel's. However, I never really get into the team red before, so any recommendation for a AMD cpu? Something has similar performance? Thank you very much ?

1 minute ago, Jack_G said:

Love your idea man. I know AMD did a really good job recently and amd motherboard usually cheaper than intel's. However, I never really get into the team red before, so any recommendation for a AMD cpu? Something has similar performance? Thank you very much ?

2700x is at an insane deal right now at microcenter if you have one near you. It will blow this out of the water. 

3600 has better gaming performance, but less cores and bit more expensive, so it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

ask me about my homelab

R7 2700 is $159 rn on Amazon

With an easy OC it's the same as a 2700x.

Cheap.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

With an easy OC it's the same as a 2700x.

I thought the general recommendation was not to OC Ryzen processors due to PBO being generally better?

ask me about my homelab

5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

The 65w 1st/2nd gen chips are an exception; they have pitifully low all-core boost functionality and need an OC to wake them up.

The 2700 for example likes to chill at 3.4ghz left to its own behavior

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x