What are the drawbacks for getting slowish memory (2666 MHz) with Ryzen?

Neymus

Does it affects perfomances that much? By reading things on the internet, everyone advices to get at least 3 GHz. Is it bad to go below that, or is it like the sweetspot for value?

4 minutes ago, Neymus said:

Is it bad to go below that, or is it like the sweetspot for value?

3000mhz is a sweetspot in terms of value and speed. 

kits are usually so cheap there is rarely any point in getting slower performance. 

you can allways overclock some 2666mhz memmory to higher. tho you might hit a wall. its not bad to go below that, you only loose performance, but the worst you can do is go with singlechannel memmory. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

3000mhz is a sweetspot in terms of value and speed. 

kits are usually so cheap there is rarely any point in getting slower performance. 

you can allways overclock some 2666mhz memmory to higher. tho you might hit a wall. its not bad to go below that, you only loose performance, but the worst you can do is go with singlechannel memmory. 

I guess the performance loss depends on the programs/games, but by how much does it affect fps on games? I'm used to play with barely any programs running on the background, so yeah.

1 minute ago, Neymus said:

I guess the performance loss depends on the programs/games, but by how much does it affect fps on games? I'm used to play with barely any programs running on the background, so yeah.

depends, but its significant enought to spend about 10$ to hit that 3000mhz memmory. 

If your talking about Ryzen 3000 just get a 3200/3000 kit. Runs out of the box. (supported by the CPU). For Ryzen 2000, it's okay, but ofc higher is better, if it's stable. I run 2666 in my lan rig (2700x). And why you might ask. I got the memory kit for free. In games you won't feel a difference.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I'm using 2666 on my 1st gen Ryzen as it was being a pain in the ass with 3000.although them problems got sorted eventually I just stuck with 2666 and I doubt you would be able to tell jumping to 3000. Maybe 3200 or higher you could 

1 minute ago, LeeCope3 said:

I'm using 2666 on my 1st gen Ryzen as it was being a pain in the ass with 3000.although them problems got sorted eventually I just stuck with 2666 and I doubt you would be able to tell jumping to 3000. Maybe 3200 or higher you could 

Okay so that's good. I bought the RAM like 1/2 months ago, so I can't return it etc, that would've been annoying if it was really bad.

I have 3600mhz ram a 3700x with a 1080ti.  I was playing Farcry 5 at the time max settings at 1440p. The kit I got was a pain to get running at 3600 so at 3000 Farcry would dip to 50-57fps when I got it to 3200mhz fps drops would be around 65-70fps when I got it to a stable 3600mhz dips were around 70fps minimum. So I would say try to get 3200mhz ram it really helps ryzen.

AMD Zen CPU benefits from high speed RAM with low latency. Try find those RAM with high speed of 4GHz+ with low latency of 16 or lower.

The ram speed ties into the infinity fabric speed on the CPU, so it also increases other parts of the CPU speed, up to about 1800Mhz or DDR 3600.