Bios too old to update bios

So my friend bought two old pcs from an auction and we're planning on putting in GPU's to flip them as cheap gaming pcs. Problem is when I put one in, I get beeps, which I found out are due to an outdated bios not having proper gpu support. 

Ok so simple fix, update the bios from 0053 to 0103. Problem is the jump is too big to update the bios. Trying to use the exe method I get an error saying the bios is an unsupported legacy bios. Trying to flash directly in the bios, it gets most the way through but fails at firmware stage. 

The motherboard is an intel DH77EB which I've seen other people use with 1060's and higher, i'm trying to use a 1050ti

Is there anyway to just force the new bios to work. Intel only provides the latest bios, no previous versions and I've scoured the internet to no avail to find an older one (all the mirrors don't work).

I'm tearing my hair out over here lol.

I've tried taking out the cmos battery for 20 mins and trying again with no change. Idk what else to do tbh

Most of the time when you have a large gap in BIOS revisions, you have to incrementally update them.. so do like every 3rd up until you get to the newest. Usually in the release notes for the BIOS, it will say if you're not on X bios, update to X first. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

The problem i'm having is Intel only provides the latest bios. There's no backlog of older ones I can access. Otherwise this would be much easier.

17 minutes ago, Joshua Larsen-Bradford said:

The problem i'm having is Intel only provides the latest bios. There's no backlog of older ones I can access. Otherwise this would be much easier.

https://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/Intel Desktop Board DH77EB BIOS

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ok I spoke to an ex intel tech and he told me how to fix it in case anyone else has the same problem.

There's a jumper on the motherboard, it will be the only one that's yellow.

Power off the pc, unplug it, then take out the jumper.

Go on another pc, put in a usb2.o drive, format it to fat32, do not select quick format.

Download the new bios you want to use, copy it onto the USB 

Eject the USB insert it into the pc you want to update the bios on.

Plug the PC in, power it on and it will automatically start the process. 

Wait for it to tell you to power off the pc then do so. 

Unplug the PC, put the jumper back in place (it should go on pins 1 and 2, they're labelled)

plug the pc back in, power it on and press F2 repeatedly until you're into the bios. if it's worked it should look different.

Press F9 to set it to defaults, then enter to accept. Then F10 to exit and Enter to accept.

Then press F2 to get back into the bios to make any changes you have left to make and viola you're done.

Damn, that is a messy process, but glad you were able to get it resolved. Thanks for the detailed explanation as well. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

• 4 months later...

I've been stuck with this exact same issue for a while now and I have tried to follow the instrunctions suggested by the OP.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, Joshua Larsen-Bradford said:

Ok I spoke to an ex intel tech and he told me how to fix it in case anyone else has the same problem.

Go on another pc, put in a usb2.o drive, format it to fat32, do not select quick format.

Unplug the PC, put the jumper back in place (it should go on pins 1 and 2, they're labelled)

plug the pc back in, power it on and press F2 repeatedly until you're into the bios. if it's worked it should look different.

Press F9 to set it to defaults, then enter to accept. Then F10 to exit and Enter to accept.

Then press F2 to get back into the bios to make any changes you have left to make and viola you're done.

The thing is:

After taking the jumper out I have inserted the flash drive in the USB port and I can see the computer is reading it because it has a led, but the thing has been like this for quite a while now (more than one hour) with no response. Did this acually work for you? How long did it take?

On 4/10/2020 at 6:01 AM, Andrey Schoier said:

I've been stuck with this exact same issue for a while now and I have tried to follow the instrunctions suggested by the OP.

The thing is:

After taking the jumper out I have inserted the flash drive in the USB port and I can see the computer is reading it because it has a led, but the thing has been like this for quite a while now (more than one hour) with no response. Did this acually work for you? How long did it take?

yeah this process worked for me, are you sure you have the right bios and everything?

from memory it took me like 20 mins for it to display something and then you turn it off, put the jumper back on and you're golden

On 4/12/2020 at 2:45 AM, Joshua Larsen-Bradford said:

yeah this process worked for me, are you sure you have the right bios and everything?

Well, I have only tried with the bios that Skiiwee29 provided. Perhaps I should give it a try with other files, but I guess I'll have to gather them arround the internet.

Thanks a lot for your help!

On 4/13/2020 at 10:39 PM, Andrey Schoier said:

Well, I have only tried with the bios that Skiiwee29 provided. Perhaps I should give it a try with other files, but I guess I'll have to gather them arround the internet.

Thanks a lot for your help!

try with usb 2.0, I forgot about that. Also I can email you the bios if you need, I still have it saved

• 3 weeks later...

@Joshua Larsen-Bradford hey can you pm me the bios if you still have it saved? I just bought a dh77eb mb and im trying to update the bios as well.. didnt know it was gonna b a hassle to update haha.. cheers

so I figured it out last night, if anyone is having the same prob as OP..i have exact same mb with exact issue, got it to update flawlessly so I decided to pay it forward and help out the next.

BIOS 103 for DH77EB motherboard is attached BELOW

Here are the instructions i received for BIOS recovery:

• NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting.
  • On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install. **can do this AND the next four steps on same computer if you're able to access windows, based on my experience**
  • Insert a 32GB or smaller USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives.
  • Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  • Copy the .BIO file you downloaded into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file on this USB flash drive.
  • Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  • Power off the Desktop Board system.
  • Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  • NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged into; you will need this information later.
  • Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  • Power on the system.
  • The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  • NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  • When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  • Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  • Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  • Power on the board.
  • Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  • Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  • Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  • Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  • Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  • Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc).
  • Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  • Test.

Hope this helps anyone with the DH77EB motherboard

EB0103.zip

So, I have the exact board that I got on ebay a couple weeks ago since I had some spare ram and an i5 to play with.

Initially, I've checked if the board works with the onboard graphics and it did. Later on however, it wasn't working with my 1060. I have plugged an old HD5670 just to check since it was showing some weird colour artifacts and with that card it surely worked. After 2-3 google forums I've found out that there is a bios update that is required in order to use a newer cards.

I did download a new bios, flashed it according to intel's guide went into the bios update. It ran for about 5-10 minutes doing it's thing, all normal. Then, suddenly it gave me an update error. I've got my phone out to take a photo of the error but it dissappeared so quickly I couldn't even take a picture of it.

After doing some more research I have realised that the bios jump was too big for me as well (well, most probably).

However, what I have now is, whenever I power on the board, the cpu fan spins at max speed (a loud stock intel one) but no video on output. I tried the onboard hdmi and the old GPU as well.

I've made several attempts fixing it through different bios restore guides and I have just tried once again with your guide @m831 but I have the same results.

I have also bought another cpu, a 2nd gen just in case that's the issue (tried several ram sticks, different monitors with different cables, different psu's) but still no luck.

Would you have any other ideas what might have happened or what could I possibly do?

On 5/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, Teah said:

So, I have the exact board that I got on ebay a couple weeks ago since I had some spare ram and an i5 to play with.

Initially, I've checked if the board works with the onboard graphics and it did. Later on however, it wasn't working with my 1060. I have plugged an old HD5670 just to check since it was showing some weird colour artifacts and with that card it surely worked. After 2-3 google forums I've found out that there is a bios update that is required in order to use a newer cards.

I did download a new bios, flashed it according to intel's guide went into the bios update. It ran for about 5-10 minutes doing it's thing, all normal. Then, suddenly it gave me an update error. I've got my phone out to take a photo of the error but it dissappeared so quickly I couldn't even take a picture of it.

After doing some more research I have realised that the bios jump was too big for me as well (well, most probably).

However, what I have now is, whenever I power on the board, the cpu fan spins at max speed (a loud stock intel one) but no video on output. I tried the onboard hdmi and the old GPU as well.

I've made several attempts fixing it through different bios restore guides and I have just tried once again with your guide @m831 but I have the same results.

I have also bought another cpu, a 2nd gen just in case that's the issue (tried several ram sticks, different monitors with different cables, different psu's) but still no luck.

Would you have any other ideas what might have happened or what could I possibly do?

honestly dont know, did you follow the instructions exactly as they're written? did you reformat the usb stick from a 3.0 port and not a 2.0? cuz the whole process (the reformatting and the updating) has to be done using a 2.0 port (the 2 usb ports right under the ethernet port are 3.0, the other four on the edge of mtb are 2.0). the intel instructions for updating the bios dont really work.. you have to do it using the jumper removal method. Did you replace the jumper in onto the correct pins 1 and 2 (the bottom 2 pins) I updated from the 0053 bios which is the bone stock one, straight to the most recent one which is 0103. i didnt have to update the bios incrementally as is suggested with intel. If you have zero video output, then you have to use another computer to reformat the usb stick and add the bios to it. hope this helps troubleshooting the problem and hopefully gets the motherboard up and running.

My source of where I got the info is here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004f1H7fSAE/does-anyone-have-all-the-bios-updates-for-the-dh77eb-that-i-may-procure?language=en_US

On 11/18/2019 at 5:16 AM, Joshua Larsen-Bradford said:

That's typically how you update the bios..

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, Teah said:

Hey man! I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. I tried going over this method at least 10 times and never got an update progress screen when using the jumper recovery. Apparently some boards just can't be updated at all due to "reasons".

It's a real shame since I wanted to make a cheap gaming PC out of this one after fiding a really good deal for a GTX 1070. This is the thread I opened on the Intel forums https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Desktop-Boards/Cannot-update-BIOS-on-DH77EB-board/m-p/1189292#M53942

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, got the same problem, tried to update from 0053 to 0112 from softpedia’s website, but it failed and now I’ve got no POST, nothing at all, the USB ports don’t even deliver energy, tried all the methods above, but as said there’s not even power on the USB ports... any suggestions? Plz? ☹️

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Joshua.. Have you install audio drivers and make them work on the dh77eb mobo after bios update? I hear no sound after installing nvidia gtx1060 and realtek hd audio driver.. Please update