Linus, Where is the 16" MacBooks Review!

LOV3FIR3

I can't wait for Linus tech to review that 16" MBP to show how much is has ... solved nothing! WOO! I love how Tim Apple thinks that making a bigger heatsink (35% what does that really mean? 2mm lol)  is going to resolve the over heating issue, air cooling is obsolete especially in such thin chassis's. I just wanna see Linus tech put apple in the boiling hot water once again till they get the picture people want a computer that ... um .. does this thing it was meant to do? oh yeah that call the Functioning Properly. Who knew. Lets go Active Cooling. I swear apple just need to fire the head of their design team, hire someone who believes in proper cooling methods. bc simply put air cooling will never cool MBP to handle what they are design to handle.

Say whatever you want about the heating issues on some MacBook models. "Techies" like to criticize "normal people" for buying MacBooks because they don't get high Cinebench scores or they heat up a lot, but the average person doesn't give a shit about any of those things.

8 minutes ago, LOV3FIR3 said:

I swear apple just need to fire the head of their design team

No they don't. People like you need to understand that people will buy MacBooks regardless of heating issues because there's more to a laptop than just performance and temperatures.

Also, I have a MBP 13" 2019 and it DOES NOT thermal throttle. Not all MacBooks have heating issues.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Linus isn't the right person to give a proper review because he's already biased. The fact that they got a 16" screen in the same size as the 15" MBP, they fit a 100w/hr battery, with a bunch of other improvements says great things about their design team. The fact Apple kept it the same price is a plus for them as a company. The price, honestly, isn't even that bad. The closest I could find configuration wise from Dell, for example, would cost $15,500....twice what the same spec in a MBP would cost. Lenovo, while being cheaper at $6,600 in it's max configuration, only has a 1TB SSD....so, far, far and away from the 8TB you'd get in a fully specced, $7,700 MBP....while at the same time having a weaker GPU. You haven't seen any benchmarks about the cooling, yet you're already saying it will be bad. Something you simply have no right to say.

I get that you might think, based on the videos, that hating on Apple is widely accepted here but the forums tend to be a little different than the videos.

And before you say I love Apple, I'd never buy a Macbook. I'd much rather have something like the Surface Book 2.

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

Say whatever you want about the heating issues on some MacBook models. "Techies" like to criticize "normal people" for buying MacBooks because they don't get high Cinebench scores or they heat up a lot, but the average person doesn't give a shit about any of those things.

No they don't. People like you need to understand that people will buy MacBooks regardless of heating issues because there's more to a laptop than just performance and temperatures.

Also, I have a MBP 13" 2019 and it DOES NOT thermal throttle. Not all MacBooks have heating issues.

I bet you're not constantly running Cinebench or some other intensive benchmark though, are you ;)

Because, you know...that's a normal every day use case...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OP do you make it a habit of joining forums and posting useless bollocks on your first post? Trashing a company with little to no comprehension of what the actual issues were is a pretty shit way to introduce yourself.   

9 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

It does thermal throttle but so does pretty much every other laptop in that class. But unless you have some alien technology yours does thermal throttle too.

9 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

That's a strawman. The point is not whether the laptop gets a couple of more points in the cinebench. My problem is that Macs are grossly overpriced overall for what they offer. Doesn't have anything to do with thermals or benchmark scores. Overall price to performance is just terrible

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

The price, honestly, isn't even that bad. The closest I could find configuration wise from Dell, for example, would cost $15,500....twice what the same spec in a MBP would cost. Lenovo, while being cheaper at $6,600 in it's max configuration, only has a 1TB SSD....so, far, far and away from the 8TB you'd get in a fully specced, $7,700 MBP....

I partially agree. Also comparing top specs is kind of pointless since pretty much nobody buys them anyways. But the base configuration is pretty overpriced.

3 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

It does thermal throttle but so does pretty much every other laptop in that class. But unless you have some alien technology yours does thermal throttle too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjNIThLP27E

Does the clockspeed go below base clock? No. Every laptop in this segment "thermal throttles" below boost clock, but my MBP 13" model doesn't go below base clock, and that's enough for me.

My bad for saying it doesn't thermal throttle (at all).

4 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

That's a strawman. The point is not whether the laptop gets a couple of more points in the cinebench. My problem is that Macs are grossly overpriced overall for what they offer. Doesn't have anything to do with thermals or benchmark scores. Overall price to performance is just terrible

Price was not a consideration for me when buying a laptop (to some extent). And that's the case for a lot of people buying MacBooks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

And that's the case for a lot of people buying MacBooks.

Its the case for a lot of people who just wants to buy 1 laptop that they can roll with for a long time

Personally im soon getting a 1500$ laptop, and its definitivly not gonna be good value performance wise

43 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Price was not a consideration for me when buying a laptop (to some extent). And that's the case for a lot of people buying MacBooks.

It is a free country you can waste money if you want. Point being that this "argument" doesn't make a MacBook a good laptop. Or a good value. It might still be a good option if you exclude price unless you want a working keyboard.

10 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

I partially agree. Also comparing top specs is kind of pointless since pretty much nobody buys them anyways. But the base configuration is pretty overpriced.

Not really. Base price of a Thinkpad X1 with similar spec is over $4k without sales. So, more expensive than the Mac by Almost $1,000. Even with the sale, it's only $600 and change cheaper, but it has a worse, smaller screen, no Thunderbolt, no Touchbar (whether you use it or not is irrelevant, it's a feature), no unibody alumiunium build, Windows instead of MacOS...to some those things would easily be worth an extra $600, especially when you're already spending thousands. Factor in significantly lower depreciation and the Macbook starts to look much more appealing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

It is a free country you can waste money if you want. Point being that this "argument" doesn't make a MacBook a good laptop. Or a good value. It might still be a good option if you exclude price unless you want a working keyboard.

The MacBook Pro 13" has a great screen (16:10, 2560x1600, 500 nits), great port selection (USB-C is the way to go), good battery life, and great build quality. The only downside I can think of is the keyboard (and maybe price).

Since you really hate the MacBook Pro 13", name one laptop that's better overall (excluding price).

On 11/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, r2724r16 said:

They need to fire the ass hole who came up with the butter fly swtiches. Because that was a REAL problem for them for a few generations. I thought about buying a Macbook but I didnt want to buy one to have the keyboard crap out on me. Now that they have replaced the butter fly design with one that seems to be working I might consider one again. Im hoping they refresh the 13 inch model with simular specs to the 16 inch model. Because I dont want a large laptop. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:54 PM, LOV3FIR3 said:

I can't wait for Linus tech to review that 16" MBP to show how much is has ... solved nothing!

From what I have heard, the new Macbook Pro boosts higher than the prevous generation. Which would imply that the new cooling solution is doing something. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, dizmo said:

Linus isn't the right person to give a proper review because he's already biased.

Anthony is though. He seems to have a soft spot for the Mac and actually has the technical experience to judge them fairly and objectively. Something that a lot of "Mac people" on YouTube don't have. Going off of what he said about the 2019 15" MBPs make me think that he is going to be thrilled with this machine. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Anthony is though. He seems to have a soft spot for the Mac and actually has the technical experience to judge them fairly and objectively.

i think its great that Linus has taken his hand out of a lot of hardware reviews as quite a few of his recommendations have a clear tendency of bias (there is allways bias, but you know what i mean). something that could quite clearly be seen in a video where Linus pushed samsung drives into a budget workstation for "reliability". 

edit: yes a note was edited in, but it was really a odd choice in a overall good build. 

On 11/19/2019 at 1:30 AM, r2724r16 said:

The MacBook Pro 13" has a great screen (16:10, 2560x1600, 500 nits), great port selection (USB-C is the way to go), good battery life, and great build quality. The only downside I can think of is the keyboard (and maybe price).

Since you really hate the MacBook Pro 13", name one laptop that's better overall (excluding price).

ThinkPad T480 and ThinkPad X series.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, dizmo said:

Not really. Base price of a Thinkpad X1 with similar spec is over $4k without sales. So, more expensive than the Mac by Almost $1,000. Even with the sale, it's only $600 and change cheaper, but it has a worse, smaller screen, no Thunderbolt, no Touchbar (whether you use it or not is irrelevant, it's a feature), no unibody alumiunium build, Windows instead of MacOS...to some those things would easily be worth an extra $600, especially when you're already spending thousands. Factor in significantly lower depreciation and the Macbook starts to look much more appealing.

Well if you really need MacOS you don't have an option anyways. Also I would pay money for not having to deal with a touchbar

18 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

ThinkPad T480 and ThinkPad X series.

Bought two P1 Gen laptops a few months ago. Costed +$2000 each and one of them had a defective keyboard. Lenovo delayed my order two weeks and took one month to return my money after they received the laptops. They're customer service is complete shit (look up Google reviews if you don't believe me).

On top of all of this, The ThinkPad was more expensive than the MacBook I bought afterwards, while being a way shittier laptop. The P1 Gen 2 just didn't feel premium and honestly, ThinkPads just aren't what they used be (new ones are nothing like the X230).

Honestly, the laptops that you mentioned would be better than the MacBook Pro 13" if Lenovo had half decent customer service and quality control (which they don't).