Coax to HDMI converter

steelo

The other day I was thinking to myself, "Is there such a thing as a coax to HDMI converter?" Evidently, there is...does anybody have experience using one of these? The reason being, my TV only has 2 HDMI ports which are both being used and a coax connection. I was needing another connection because I'm wanting to connect a third device...It looks like one of the old RF boxes for CRT TV's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-HDMI-IR-Extender-Over-RG-6U-Coax-Cable-/254162687040

(I'm not paying $85 USD...but at least I know such a product exists)

Dude, no. I don't even think that does what you think it does (based on description, didn't click on link)

Get a HDMI mixer/multiplexer/ switch whatever it's called... they have 2..5 inputs and one or two hdmi outputs. You simply push a button or move a slider and it changes between hdmi inputs.

27$ : with remote control and 5 inputs  Amazon.com: HDMI Switch SGEYR 5x1 HDMI Switcher 5 in 1 Out HDMI Switch Selector 5 Port Box with IR Remote Control HDMI 1.4 HDCP 1.4 Support 4K@30Hz Ultra HD 3D 2160P 1080P: Home Audio & Theater

image.thumb.png.6cac68a7331aab89821fc0e1d3199a96.png

13$ : 4k 60hz Amazon.com: 4K@60Hz HDMI Switch, NEWCARE HDMI Switch 3 in 1 Out,3-Port HDMI Switcher, Supports 4K,3D,HDCP2.2,HDMI2.0,HDR,for Apple TV 4K, Fire Stick, HDTV, PS4, Game Consoles, PC and More: Home Audio & Theater

8$ (max 1080p 60fps): HDMI Switch, GANA Gold Plated 3-Port HDMI Switcher, Splitter, Supports Full HD1080p, 3D with High Speed Pigtail Cable

image.thumb.png.ad1b1bfe5c7719f81ed9f2d504248d16.png

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Dude, no. I don't even think that does what you think it does (based on description, didn't click on link)

Get a HDMI mixer/multiplexer/ switch whatever it's called... they have 2..5 inputs and one or two hdmi outputs. You simply push a button or move a slider and it changes between hdmi inputs.

8$ : HDMI Switch, GANA Gold Plated 3-Port HDMI Switcher, Splitter, Supports Full HD1080p, 3D with High Speed Pigtail Cable

image.thumb.png.ad1b1bfe5c7719f81ed9f2d504248d16.png

I have a HDMI splitter but it has never worked quite right - It is supposed to switch to the 'active' input but a lot of times I just receive no signal on the TV or monitor.

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

See my edited post... also, you're too lazy to push a button to switch between inputs?

Coax input/HDMI output is what the description states...

It's not about being lazy, the TV is mounted about 5 feet up on a wall (behind a computer desk and monitors) and would be a bit of a hassle to change inputs manually. Unfortunately, my options are pretty limited.

You can use  a longer hdmi cable (up to 3 meters / 10 feet I think) between the box and the tv. So you can have the box on the desk or somewhere under the tv.

Or, you could use one of those active cables (with signal amplifier) which can be over 15m long without issues

The device in your original link just converts HDMI signal to SDI which goes through the coaxial cable... it's not class RF signal or what you could get in TV through a SCART connector in Europe. Your TV doesn't have SDI input (most likely). You would need another of those boxes (I think they're sold in pairs) to take in SDI and output HDMI ... so you can't use that, still need a HDMI connector.

Yeah, these are good if you need very long cables, up to 100 meters. But, you can now buy 100ft / 30m cables with signal amplifiers on them for around 60$ or more expensive cables that use fiber optics and which can be made longer than 100ft

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

You can use  a longer hdmi cable (up to 3 meters / 10 feet I think) between the box and the tv. So you can have the box on the desk or somewhere under the tv.

Or, you could use one of those active cables (with signal amplifier) which can be over 15m long without issues

The device in your original link just converts HDMI signal to SDI which goes through the coaxial cable... it's not class RF signal or what you could get in TV through a SCART connector in Europe. Your TV doesn't have SDI input (most likely). You would need another of those boxes (I think they're sold in pairs) to take in SDI and output HDMI ... so you can't use that, still need a HDMI connector.

Yeah, these are good if you need very long cables, up to 100 meters. But, you can now buy 100ft / 30m cables with signal amplifiers on them for around 60$ or more expensive cables that use fiber optics and which can be made longer than 100ft

Okay, thanks. I was looking for a 'clean' setup but I understand my options are very limited here. A longer HDMI cable and maybe hiding the HDMI switcher on the desk would be my best alternative.

2 hours ago, steelo said:

The other day I was thinking to myself, "Is there such a thing as a coax to HDMI converter?" Evidently, there is...does anybody have experience using one of these? The reason being, my TV only has 2 HDMI ports which are both being used and a coax connection. I was needing another connection because I'm wanting to connect a third device...It looks like one of the old RF boxes for CRT TV's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-HDMI-IR-Extender-Over-RG-6U-Coax-Cable-/254162687040

(I'm not paying $85 USD...but at least I know such a product exists)

No such animal.

Coax on a digital TV requires a transcoder (eg ATSC), which would be a lot more expensive than a $20 auto-switch.

52 minutes ago, Kisai said:

No such animal.

Coax on a digital TV requires a transcoder (eg ATSC), which would be a lot more expensive than a $20 auto-switch.

Gotcha, good to know. Thanks!

Coax to HDMI as in like a TV tuner or composite to HDMI? 

53 minutes ago, Kisai said:

No such animal.

Also, ATSC tuners aren't that more expensive. You can find them for like $30 on eBay easily.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Coax to HDMI as in like a TV tuner or composite to HDMI? 

Also, ATSC tuners aren't that more expensive. You can find them for like $30 on eBay easily.

It would be HDMI (from another device) to the coax input on the TV...For the record, this was just a dumb idea I thought of while in the shower last night...Let the jokes fly! LOL

I was trying to see if there was a way to use the coax input on my TV since I'm already using the 2 HDMI ports it has. I think the best solution may be to use a HDMI switcher...

16 minutes ago, steelo said:

It would be HDMI (from another device) to the coax input on the TV...For the record, this was just a dumb idea I thought of while in the shower last night...Let the jokes fly! LOL

I was trying to see if there was a way to use the coax input on my TV since I'm already using the 2 HDMI ports it has. I think the best solution may be to use a HDMI switcher...

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into an HDMI switcher. You can easily find 'em at Walmart or Best Buy or online for like $20.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.