Rounded Corners PC Screens

NoaLag

Hey everyone,
I've seen this concept a few times lately, I already thought of something like this myself and now I'm seing it pop around the net. Tell me what you guys think about rounded corners on PC screens. It's everywhere on smartphones nowadays and as a big fan of this trend I would like to see it on PCs aswell. Personally I think it looks gorgeous!! I know it would be complicated for compatability between apps and all but it's still really cool. So. What do you think?

Weirdly enough I only found apple related concepts. I'm working on my own concept tho :) (I know the first one is an Ipad, just try to think of it as a monitor plugged into a windows pc or smth)

28544-44577-11-inch-iPad-Pro-l.jpg

j1vukp3j3fd21.png

macbook-pro-concept-1200px.jpg

as a pc gamer, not a fan of it since it literally shaves off that corner which gives a small bit of FOV.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

rounded corners are not new. CRTs had rounded corners due to the way they were made.

the reason you dont see them in LCD's often is that its actually more work to make a rounded corner panel than to just leave them as is.

if u want rounded corners just make ur own bezels and cover the corner.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I see no added benefit to rounding the corners off. On my phone I also prefer square corners rather than round corners. It looks more natural and it increases the screen real estate without looking weird (like a notch).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

No thanks. It looks a lot worse to me on a display larger than a phone, The iPad Pro is alright, but I don't like the corners of my display being chopped off. 

You'd have to rework all the panels, not just monitors - TVs and such would have to be redone as well.  I don't think anyone's really going to advocate for such a big change in the way these things are manufactured without real motivation (real return on investment, in other words).  

A lot of you answered that it doesn't add any benefit. I know, it's just for looks. I like this look. Also cutting the corners changes almost nothing to the screen real estate (same for FOV). @Glenwing
Anyway I seem to be the only one to like this look x)
@Ringthane I'm not talking about every device on the market, obviously that would be sooo complicated. But for companies like apple who make their own software AND hardware don't you think it would be easier to make a change like that?

I already get the corners of some content cut off on my phone since it has rounded screen corners.  Never functionality breaking, but always looks odd when it happens.  It's a compromise that doesn't need to exist for the sake of aesthetics.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

• 3 years later...

You might try and preview the look of this with an easy to execute little program of 16 KB from the Github link below, if you don't like it just stop it from the task manager and that's it.

https://github.com/BeezBeez/Windows-RoundedScreen/releases/tag/1.0-Beta

It could be nice if the screen curve radius were that of a Pixel Phone, I use a SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S5E, it has rounded corners (less rounded than an IPAD) and I love it, it has a "PC mode" called DEX and with mouse and keyboard you get to have a super Amoled rounded PC like device way nicer than an Ipad in aesthethics (at least for me)... maybe for PC it could work.

C0143 Mp4 00 17 30 18 Imagen Fija001

1366_2000.jpg

1366_2000.jpg