2 Gamers 1 CPU

Hi, and thanks for reading. 

I have a question. I wanna build a wall mounted watercooled PC. Me and my girlfriend are gamers, for me, i play New er titles like Battlefield, CoD and so on(maybe RDR2? :/). My Girlfriend plays lots of WoW, Destiny 2. 

I should say that i need to get an nvidia card(g-sync) and i have an 4k Ultrawide Screen and my Girlfriend has an 2k (WFHD) Ultrawide screen. 

My question is, what CPU should i use to run both system well? I am tending to buy the i9-9900k, but will it fit and will there be a 10th gen desktop soon? How much do i "loose" to virtualization and i also need to split the CPU, how much performance loss will it have(like 2x i7-xxxx).

GPU, i will buy me an RTX 2080TI and the other will be an AMD Card i think, but not high end. 

Thanks for your help! :) 

6 minutes ago, Sparkyyy said:

i9-9900k,

not enough cores, get a 12 core like the 3900x or 7920x. Keep in mind that you'll have to split the CPU in half for cores, so with a 9900k you'lll get 4 cores on each side, which is just sad.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Ryzen 9 3900X, splits into 2 Ryzen 5 3600X (more or less) so that's a much better route for the money.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

not enough cores, get a 12 core like the 3900x or 7920x. Keep in mind that you'll have to split the CPU in half for cores, so with a 9900k you'lll get 4 cores on each side, which is just sad.

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ryzen 9 3900X, splits into 2 Ryzen 5 3600X (more or less) so that's a much better route for the money.

Thanks for your answers. 

I had these in mind, like the New ryzen, but i thougt that you have better virtualization with Intel? 

10 minutes ago, Sparkyyy said:

but i thougt that you have better virtualization with Intel? 

Ryzen did have terrible GPU passthrough support, but it's not the case now. Besides, are you willing to pay Intel for their 12 core?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, Sparkyyy said:

Thanks for your answers. 

I had these in mind, like the New ryzen, but i thougt that you have better virtualization with Intel? 

virtualization works well on both

Id just get 2 systems though. Much easier to setup, easier to troubleshoot, and about the same price.

While definitely doable, it's just not as practical as getting two different systems. It is definitely cool that you can have one machine and have two people play games on it, at the same time, however, that's pretty much it, something cool.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

The most important thing is to make sure it will actually work before investing a lot of money / time into it.  I only have experience with X370 (AMD) and X58 (Intel) boards so far.  I didn't get GPU passthrough working at all on my X370 board until I found a solution, I had to downgrade my BIOS to an older AGESA version.  Many boards are affected by this, not just older boards like mine.  Even after that I was only able to get 2 x16 ports passed through.  I haven't been able to isolate the other 1x slots and the 3rd x16 slot to their own IOMMU groups.  I've tried a few methods to separate them but no luck so far.  This makes it difficult to have USB hot plug on 2 VM's at the same time.  Right now I have a Nvidia NVS 300 in the top 1x PCIe slot for Unraid, a GPU for my VM in the top 16x slot and a PCIe USB 3 controller in the other 16x slot.  My options basically end there since I am using the onboard USB 3 controller for Unraid (it is at least in it's own IOMMU group).

TLDR: The specs aren't as critical as finding the right motherboard / CPU / BIOS combination that will work in your use case.  Maybe find someone online that built a dual gaming setup and mimic it, and maybe even read about their experience / pitfalls encountered

If you like tinkering with PC's, constantly adjusting something, changing, etc... than go for it.

Otherwise, save yourself a lot of hassle, and simply have two separate systems.

PS: I've had GPU passthrough setup before, it works well. But there's always 'something' that's missing.. so constantly fiddling with something.

13 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Ryzen did have terrible GPU passthrough support, but it's not the case now. Besides, are you willing to pay Intel for their 12 core?

Thanks for that Info, then i could go with a ryzen build. I would.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

virtualization works well on both

Id just get 2 systems though. Much easier to setup, easier to troubleshoot, and about the same price.

Ok, thanks.
Are you sure with about the same price? i need 1 cpu and 1 motherboard less, watercooling staff too.

13 hours ago, bruny06 said:

While definitely doable, it's just not as practical as getting two different systems. It is definitely cool that you can have one machine and have two people play games on it, at the same time, however, that's pretty much it, something cool.

Practical, more or less, its wall mounted and watercooled, so i dont need to mount 2 full pcs, just one. Sure, its cool and one pc looks better than 2.

8 hours ago, Ibanez343 said:

The most important thing is to make sure it will actually work before investing a lot of money / time into it.  I only have experience with X370 (AMD) and X58 (Intel) boards so far.  I didn't get GPU passthrough working at all on my X370 board until I found a solution, I had to downgrade my BIOS to an older AGESA version.  Many boards are affected by this, not just older boards like mine.  Even after that I was only able to get 2 x16 ports passed through.  I haven't been able to isolate the other 1x slots and the 3rd x16 slot to their own IOMMU groups.  I've tried a few methods to separate them but no luck so far.  This makes it difficult to have USB hot plug on 2 VM's at the same time.  Right now I have a Nvidia NVS 300 in the top 1x PCIe slot for Unraid, a GPU for my VM in the top 16x slot and a PCIe USB 3 controller in the other 16x slot.  My options basically end there since I am using the onboard USB 3 controller for Unraid (it is at least in it's own IOMMU group).

TLDR: The specs aren't as critical as finding the right motherboard / CPU / BIOS combination that will work in your use case.  Maybe find someone online that built a dual gaming setup and mimic it, and maybe even read about their experience / pitfalls encountered

Thats an realy important info! I wouldnt have looked so far that the mobo could be an such important issue. Thanks! :)

5 hours ago, Nick7 said:

If you like tinkering with PC's, constantly adjusting something, changing, etc... than go for it.

Otherwise, save yourself a lot of hassle, and simply have two separate systems.

PS: I've had GPU passthrough setup before, it works well. But there's always 'something' that's missing.. so constantly fiddling with something.

I must say.. i like this a lot. Why else should i even try to realize it with Unraid. I like the Idea of virtualization and the things around. As long as i dont have to tweak something everyday, that would get realy fast realy annoying.

-------
I also could try to get it work, and if it isnt stable i build 2 pcs.
The only thing is, what CPU is strong enough?

17 hours ago, Sparkyyy said:

Hi, and thanks for reading. 

I have a question. I wanna build a wall mounted watercooled PC. Me and my girlfriend are gamers, for me, i play New er titles like Battlefield, CoD and so on(maybe RDR2? :/). My Girlfriend plays lots of WoW, Destiny 2. 

I should say that i need to get an nvidia card(g-sync) and i have an 4k Ultrawide Screen and my Girlfriend has an 2k (WFHD) Ultrawide screen. 

My question is, what CPU should i use to run both system well? I am tending to buy the i9-9900k, but will it fit and will there be a 10th gen desktop soon? How much do i "loose" to virtualization and i also need to split the CPU, how much performance loss will it have(like 2x i7-xxxx).

GPU, i will buy me an RTX 2080TI and the other will be an AMD Card i think, but not high end. 

Thanks for your help! :)

I would spring for a 3900X or the newly announced 3950X. Typically you need to allocate atleast one core for the host os. So one of you will lose a core when splitting them. This would give you 6c/5c or 8c/7c on those CPUs respectively.

1 hour ago, xl3b4n0nx said:

I would spring for a 3900X or the newly announced 3950X. Typically you need to allocate atleast one core for the host os. So one of you will lose a core when splitting them. This would give you 6c/5c or 8c/7c on those CPUs respectively.

I thought that too,the 3950x looks realy good for my plan. 
I think my girlfriend will not need as much cores as i will, so she will get 1c less or so with an RX 5700 / maybe XT. This must be tested. 

6 hours ago, Sparkyyy said:

Ok, thanks.
Are you sure with about the same price? i need 1 cpu and 1 motherboard less, watercooling staff too.

Have you priced it out? Its probably simmilar, but water cooling may make one system cheaper. But its also a lot of work if something goes worng, and setup and be a pain if you haven't worked with hypervisors much before.

17 minutes ago, Sparkyyy said:

I think my girlfriend will not need as much cores as i will, so she will get 1c less or so with an RX 5700 / maybe XT. This must be tested. 

One thing to note is vms can share cores, so each vm can use almost all of the cpu if needed. VMS don't reserve cpu power, it can be shared to other processes when they aren't using it.

1 hour ago, Sparkyyy said:

What OS will you be doing this on? Unraid?

15 hours ago, xl3b4n0nx said:

What OS will you be doing this on? Unraid?

Yes 

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you priced it out? Its probably simmilar, but water cooling may make one system cheaper. But its also a lot of work if something goes worng, and setup and be a pain if you haven't worked with hypervisors much before.

One thing to note is vms can share cores, so each vm can use almost all of the cpu if needed. VMS don't reserve cpu power, it can be shared to other processes when they aren't using it.

You are right, its around 3k. 

but i am working in that field(networking/PC stuff), so i have some sort of knowlage. OK. I thought that the other VM doesnt take more then it "gets". So i could share cores? 

4 hours ago, Sparkyyy said:

Yes 

Id personally go with another linux distro, like ubuntu or fedora, but unraid will work fine.

4 hours ago, Sparkyyy said:

but i am working in that field(networking/PC stuff), so i have some sort of knowlage. OK. I thought that the other VM doesnt take more then it "gets". So i could share cores? 

Its very common in vms clusters to over provision the cpu cores something liek 4:1 to 7:1, so there are 4 to 7 virtual cpu cores in vms to every real core on the cost. Normally vms won't need all of the cpu power, and then they can use more if needed. Pinning cpu cores to a specific core on the cost can be faster in come cases aswell, play around with what works best.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

If one intends to game, and have no micro-stutters, it's HIGHLY advisable to use CPU pinning.

You are generally correct about sharing CPU cores, and using overprovisioning, etc. But not in such case where VM's are used for GPU passthrough and gaming, CPU pinning is basically required.