I can't get rid of two folders on a SSD I formated??

Magnetar_Byte

I've changed the download location and program location to a new drive but for some reason Windows keeps auto adding it back. Anyone have a clue how to fix this because I can't really use the Old SSD if it keeps doing this.

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

6 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

I've changed the download location and program location to a new drive but for some reason Windows keeps auto adding it back. Anyone have a clue how to fix this because I can't really use the Old SSD if it keeps doing this.

there is obviously a dependency somewhere that is recreating those folders. 

perhaps change the new SSD drive letter to the old SSD's drive letter and give the old SSD a new drive letter. 

if SSD1 was G: 

and SSD2 is H: 

make SSD2 G: 

and SSD1 Q: (some random letter)

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

4 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

there is obviously a dependency somewhere that is recreating those folders. 

perhaps change the new SSD drive letter to the old SSD's drive letter and give the old SSD a new drive letter. 

if SSD1 was G: 

and SSD2 is H: 

make SSD2 G: 

and SSD1 Q: (some random letter)

wtf While I was trying to do that. Suddenly the file explorer closed and Now I can't open it. Or even search to find in search.

FYI the OS is on a seperate drive from the two I'm fucking with. There was a system reserved partition on one of the SSDs but it wasn't active so I just deleted the partition. Followed by me cloning the drive to the new drive. Which I then changed the locations for things to download there. 

I had no issues the first time but now that I'm moving it to the new ssd its all fucked up. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

wtf While I was trying to do that. Suddenly the file explorer closed and Now I can't open it. Or even search to find in search.

FYI the OS is on a seperate drive from the two I'm fucking with. There was a system reserved partition on one of the SSDs but it wasn't active so I just deleted the partition. Followed by me cloning the drive to the new drive. Which I then changed the locations for things to download there. 

I had no issues the first time but now that I'm moving it to the new ssd its all fucked up. Thoughts?

i assumed the OS was seperate. 

reboot the system if file manager won't open. then use the disk management tool to change drive/ volume lettering. 

wipe all partitions on both drives, then create a new volumes on each drive, lettering them as needed.

the disk tool looks like this:

image.thumb.png.75d8fb9f96e2c67f7ae478a64bf95b25.png

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

10 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

i assumed the OS was seperate. 

reboot the system if file manager won't open. then use the disk management tool to change drive/ volume lettering. 

wipe all partitions on both drives, then create a new volumes on each drive, lettering them as needed.

the disk tool looks like this:

image.thumb.png.75d8fb9f96e2c67f7ae478a64bf95b25.png

Ok I swapped the drive letters and rebooted.

Fixed most of my issues I can now see all my programs normally and they aren't all greyed out. Damn where did u learn that trick btw?

Ok so thats fixed, but when I looked at the old SSD it still has the programs and Downloads folders on them so they still keep popping up. Anything else?

2 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Fixed most of my issues I can now see all my programs normally and they aren't all greyed out. Damn where did u learn that trick btw?

Ok so thats fixed, but when I looked at the old SSD it still has the programs and Downloads folders on them so they still keep popping up. Anything else?

lol, that trick is some old VooDoo magic from Windows 98/XP 

so the Old SSD now has a new drive letter and when you delete the Programs/Download folders they still pop up?

how fast do the folders get restored? immediately after reboot?

10 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

WTF is that MiniTool you've used? 

you made your new drive E: now? 

and your old drive is letter G,H,J,K,L? anything except F:?

why are your disks partitioned MBR? win10 uses GPT now. 

also, you were cloning drives before, there is no need to clone drives if it's not a Live OS. if it's just data in a file structure with no Registry, just move the filles over from the old 500GB to your new 1TB. no need to clone the 500GB to the 1TB. 

31 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

WTF is that MiniTool you've used? 

Where the fuck did u find all this info first off?? previous post i made huh...

And its a program that I like much better then windows shit disk management sorry.

U should check it out, its not bad its free and has some powerful tools for drives that very few free programs have anymore.

you made your new drive E: now? 

yes the new one is E which was the old Sata ssds letter.

and your old drive is letter G,H,J,K,L? anything except F:?

Ya its one way down the list

why are your disks partitioned MBR? win10 uses GPT now. 

Ya ik its better. But for me I don't mind using it. I like the older windows compatibility, stabler OS boots, plus my drives are all 1tb and under. My HDD's are of course using GPT tho since there well above 2tbs in some cases.

also, you were cloning drives before, there is no need to clone drives if it's not a Live OS. if it's just data in a file structure with no Registry, just move the filles over from the old 500GB to your new 1TB. no need to clone the 500GB to the 1TB. 

I suppose your right. But manually doing all that would take quite a bit when I'd get no advantage for doing so. Also I wanted to figure out what the hell the second reserved file was when I finally got around to installing my new Main drive. So I'm happy I kill two birds with one stone essentially. 

42 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

lol, that trick is some old VooDoo magic from Windows 98/XP 

lol

42 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

so the Old SSD now has a new drive letter and when you delete the Programs/Download folders they still pop up?

how fast do the folders get restored? immediately after reboot?

They only show up after a reboot or restart haven't had them pop up just waiting in windows.

3 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

lol

They only show up after a reboot or restart haven't had them pop up just waiting in windows.

with a new drive letter they should not be coming back. that should break any dependency. 

lol. have you tried...

folderProperties>make hidden 

then unchecking "view hidden folders" option in file explore?

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

with a new drive letter they should not be coming back. that should break any dependency. 

lol. have you tried...

folderProperties>make hidden 

then unchecking "view hidden folders" option in file explore?

Just checked its still enabled, i normally do that when I boot a fresh OS. But good to check anything else perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Just checked its still enabled, i normally do that when I boot a fresh OS. But good to check anything else perhaps?

that was a low-key joke. i was telling you to simply hide the folders and pretend they weren't there. 

i've got to get some sleep. i may think about it tomorrow. 

Just now, VioDuskar said:

that was a low-key joke. i was telling you to simply hide the folders and pretend they weren't there. 

?

On 11/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, Magnetar_Byte said:

Is there some special reason why you can't let them be there? Empty folders take few kilobytes of space. You decide download location per software anyway, same with most installations. When I had smaller SSD, I had folders with same name on both drives so when installing I could just change drive letter.

Program Files folder is system folder in sense that Windows will recreate it if it's missing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, deanpepler said:

@Magnetar_Byte i recommend you use IOBIT Unlocker to erase the folders.

Highly recommended against that. And I used to pay for some of that company's products.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv