Looking for titles with great story

Soag

Hi, the title should be self-explanatory ;).

To me a game can't be great unless the story in it is.

Recently I'm doing my chores of clearing games from my libraries as I don't wan't to end up as pretty much we all do these days - with lots of games in library that were never launched. Or even downloaded...

Recently finished Bioshock trilogy, now am clearing through "Arkhams" I got for free on Epic, then the plan is to clear Metro 2033 and Last Light, prolly even buy an Exodus to have them done in succession.

And while gems can be completed on a journey like that it's rather rare, so to avoid burning out I might want to throw in something I will really enjoy from time to time.

And that happen to be the story driven games.

As you can see with examples above release date is irrelevant cause I've had a bad habit of predominantly playing "some moba" for the past "few" years and decided it's about time to get that changed.

As far as requirements go, apart from the obvious, there's just one: prefer linear stories. Exception are titles where decision making is limited by time as I have a bad habit of looking through the net for consequences and that ruins the experience.

As a final note, Skyrim, Witcher 3 and RDR2 are out of scope for personal reasons.

Thanks in advance for your insights ;).

7 minutes ago, Soag said:

Skyrim, Witcher 3 and RDR2

What are those personal reasons? Very curious.  Very strict parameters you have there, not even sure what to recommend, great linear stories are not that common.. Mass Effect goes out of the window I guess?

Edited by noxdeouroboros

Dead Space and Fear series. IDK why but i like these.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Mass effect series get them with DLCs you wont be regretting that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

im not sure if it qualifies by your standards but 'the darkness' too but especially 'the darkness II' was a mind bender when i first played it in college. i took a whole weekend and played the whole darkness 2 story in one sitting and so as i was starting to be affected by sleep deprevation and just generally getting tired concentration wise the story affected me even more. i absolutly still love and can only recommend doing the same.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

57 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

What are those personal reasons? Very curious.  Very strict parameters you have there, not even sure what to recommend, great linear stories are not that common.. Mass Effect goes out of the window I guess?

Ways back I tried Morrowind a couple times and it never clicked. Expect the same vibe from Skyrim.

With Witcher series I made a deal with myself to go through them all in order. Got hella bored in chapter 3 of W1 and just left it for later. Not in a rush to experience it as I've read all of the books years ago and while game versions are different than book ones the overall feeling is similar. Prefer something fresh for myself.

As for RDR2 I heard the PC version has launcher problems and whatnot so will wait with it until I get my hands on PS. Wanted to get PS5 but might change my mind when TLoU2 hits the stores. Or will just borrow PS4 like I did to clear TLoU.

Mass Effect... Heard a lot, seen some, never felt the urge to try it out.

55 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

Dead Space and Fear series. IDK why but i like these.

Oh, the dragging tentacle scene game. Watched a whole interview with the creatorin the past. If you say the story is good I might give it a shot.

Fear gameplay looks nice as well so now I'm a bit worried if those recommendations are that much about the story or not :D.

41 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

The story on this one is pretty good.

Looks "Ghibli-ish". Interesting.

And I'm not anti-Epic and been looking at The Outer Worlds but something about it gives me the fetch-this-and-get-that MMORPG feeling and that would ruin the experience, I guess.

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

'the darkness' too but especially 'the darkness II'

1st one was a console title only and 2nd one doesn't look like it aged well graphics-wise, yet your description still makes it interesting. Tough deal :D. In your opinion, how much would a player lose skipping the first installment?

1 minute ago, Soag said:

1st one was a console title only

sadly yes youre right 

and 2nd one doesn't look like it aged well graphics-wise,

i thought you was all about story. you never mentioned graphics. yes its a bit old but i think the cartoonish art style hide it a bit and maybe you can find some mods to modernize it it a bit if you must.

yet your description still makes it interesting. 

i mean i was also a bit younger as i said i was in college but for me in that state it was literal mind fuck. im not gonna spoiler and neither should you if you consider playing it. go in blind. 

but the whole game has you wondering which of 2 different realities is real and which is fake and i think its a great metaphor and a very interesting perspective. and all around one of only a few games id call creative

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

i thought you was all about story. you never mentioned graphics

They are secondary. Problem starts if you can't bear to watch what's happening on the screen inbetween story parts. And that is measureable only when you start, so there's some risk involved. That's my only concern and I haven't had the time to check out reviews to gauge the "scale of story greatness level". Maybe that's good considering your "go blind" suggestion and the fact some people can't write reviews without spoilers or even spoiler alerts... At the very least will definitely add it to the list then ;).

I think I might have edited my last message while you were responding and since PS5 is meant to be completely backwards compatible could you address the very last question from my previous message, please?

27 minutes ago, Soag said:

In your opinion, how much would a player lose skipping the first installment?

i played darkness 2 before even looking into part one and i havent had a single moment where i was confused about any part of the stroy due to lack of knowledge about the first one. id say you dont need it at all to fully enjoy part 2.

shit all this talk about it makes me wanna replay it myself.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:29 AM, Soag said:

Kay, thanks :).

Half life 2, Dishonored series, Fear series, shadow of mordor and shadow of war if you like the arkham series. 

Currently at the around 65% of Arkham Asylum so can't say anything about the others but up until now it's been rather underwhelming to say the least.

I'd say good one for mindless playthrough. A typical game where game time is excessively extended by collectibles. Good thing you can completely ignore them as their value added is minimal at best. So yeah, will most likely pass on both shadows.

I never finished Half-Life (still have it somewhere on CD). How much would I lose going into 2nd installment without completing the first?

And thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Mass Effect 1 has a Killer Story.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The Spirit Engine 2

This one has perhaps the most clever and elegant system for handling RPG characters I have ever seen. 

5 Days a Stranger

Tales of Monkey Island

Sam & Max Save the World series

Knights of the Old Republic II with the content patch

Freelancer

Max Payne 2

FF14 Realm Reborn had a good one. 

Freespace 2

You don't need to play Freespace 1 for this one. 

TIE Fighter had a surprising amount of story going on through the missions, though was not a cinematic one. 

Beyond Good and Evil

If you already have an idea how the Arkam Asylum ended ended it won't be that necessary. I'm not even sure it would be that big of a spoiler to just start from the second game. Arkam City make a you feel what it must be like to be Batman and has an ending you must see. 

Any of the Golden Sun games, though they are not available on PC. 

On Halflife, do you know how HL1 ended? You basically start from there. I'm not sure there's much else beyond that that you need to know going into the second one. If you've gotten to the other world, you've pretty much met anyone who shows up in HL2

I would strongly recommend the Mass Effect series (1-3, ignore Andromeda), the story is fantastic and the games are immersive.  The gameplay is solid, and while yes, there is controversy surrounding the ending of the 3rd game, it is still a very solid game well worth playing. 

I'd also agree with the Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War games, very good games!  Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2) are also excellent games with good stories.  Fable 1-3 are also relatively immersive games that are decent in their own right, worthy of a look.  Not quite as in-depth as Mass Effect or KotOR in terms of the length of the stories, but still quite good!