Why are old laptops so beasty??

zindan

Any system is faster when the storage the OS is on is faster than a stone.

8 minutes ago, zindan said:

Why are the old laptops with the old i5/i7 Cpus so much faster than the new ones after changing hdd to ssd.

Probably because the newer CPUs you're comparing them to are low power variants with much lower power requirements and thus much longer battery life, which comes at the price of lowered performance.

HP is still selling mobile workstations if you need one... but they're definitely not cheap and battery life will be bad compared to more low powered laptops.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Workstations are supposed to last many years and most of the older ones are pretty chonky

You are linking to business grade laptop. Those are beastly, and expensive. You can get new one with business grade stuff inside, just pay double of what you would for gaming laptop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You are linking to business grade laptop. Those are beastly, and expensive. You can get new one with business grade stuff inside, just pay double of what you would for gaming laptop.

So it is really fast for that reason? How much are they, I would love to buy one second hand.

35 minutes ago, zindan said:

Hello, I came across this amazing laptop and if you change the HDD on it, it becomes an absolute beast. Why are the old laptops with the old i5/i7 Cpus so much faster than the new ones after changing hdd to ssd. 

Anyways, where can I buy one of these today? 
https://cloudshop.com.pk/product/hp-zbook-15-core-i7/

If you slap a ssd in any system it's gonna be snappy. This is a workstation laptop. They are meant to have performance and reliability first everything else later. That's why they are also quite thick and heavy. These aren't better than nowadays laptops at all. Just look at the same series but a newer version and not the ones with a U series cpu and you'll see it blowing this one out of the water.

What you likely see is the huge influx of U series intel chips being put in previously H and Hq series laptops. You just have to look a bit further to get the current H and HK chips.

If you want to buy one of these just go on ebay they are sold by the heaps.

36 minutes ago, zindan said:

So it is really fast for that reason? How much are they, I would love to buy one second hand.

It is fast compared to other laptops of the same generation that have Intel "U" or "Y" CPUs in them. Those are optimized for low power and low heat. It's not fast compared a more recent laptops, especially if they have high performance CPUs.

For example you could look at the "HP ZBook 17 G6", which is a current gen successor to the one you linked (upwards of 2k€ new). You should be able to get a used G4 or G5 for cheaper.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

50 minutes ago, zindan said:

eBay says they are €$500 and up, with first hit being $750. Considering that new ones are easily $€2500+, thats expected. My previous laptop was business grade, with on-site support. The things are bulky af, as you are supposed to use them mainly at office. And only if you really need to run 3D modelling or such tools which require more performance. Even at my previous workplace people who didn't run those heavy software had much lighter versions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My dad bought a Dell laptop for (what he says) $5600 and I shit you not, that thing has to be at least 15 pounds. It also ran XP, so there's your time-frame.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

eBay says they are €$500 and up, with first hit being $750. Considering that new ones are easily $€2500+, thats expected. My previous laptop was business grade, with on-site support. The things are bulky af, as you are supposed to use them mainly at office. And only if you really need to run 3D modelling or such tools which require more performance. Even at my previous workplace people who didn't run those heavy software had much lighter versions.

What about gaming ? I am probably better off spending all money on gaming pc but just of interest, how well does it perform in gaming? 

Some laptops that are made today have crappy thermal paste and the CPU overheats and it automatically reduces it's speed , old laptops have bigger heatsink and don't get very affected from what I have seen

18 minutes ago, zindan said:

What about gaming ? I am probably better off spending all money on gaming pc but just of interest, how well does it perform in gaming? 

They have Quatros. Which do match equivalent GTX cards, so same generation top of the line models if specs are matching. If this one from eBay is example, you are getting Quatro which is about same as GTX 960M.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv