Why do older generations of Ryzen get cheaper, but not Intel's?

Okjoek

Question's in the title.

Like Ryzen 1&2000 CPUs from 1-3 years ago went way down in price, but Intel CPUs of the past 5,6 generations are still nearly full price. Why is this?

because there are a lot of stupid Intel buyers. They are also dominant in the CPU choice of Dell/HP/Lenovo prebuilts so people looking to upgrade/replace dead CPUs will have to buy them

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

i just buy whatever is the best value

amd is the best bang for the buck

intel is high $

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Question's in the title.

Like Ryzen 1&2000 CPUs from 1-3 years ago went way down in price, but Intel CPUs of the past 5,6 generations are still nearly full price. Why is this?

I think it has a lot to do with "mindshare". Same situation with old macs. Excellent construction is nice, and they sure look great. But there's no reason a 2011 laptop should be going for $500+. And yet they are. It's insane.

whats mindshare?

29 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

I think it has a lot to do with "mindshare". Same situation with old macs. Excellent construction is nice, and they sure look great. But there's no reason a 2011 laptop should be going for $500+. And yet they are. It's insane.

6 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

whats mindshare?

It's tough to explain, and I'm sure someone could do it better. But it's this sort of idea that one brand or line of products is "better" because of the name / reputation, rather than for practical reasons.

For example, think about the RX 480 and GTX 1060. Both nice cards, and really neck and neck with each other in just about all situations, certainly in gaming. Yet, despite both products being extremely close, the 1060 vastly outsold the RX 480 because "it's Nvidia", rather than "It's the better product" if that makes sense.

People perceive Apple as, let's say, being higher quality than other manufacturers, but this is debatable. But because "It's Apple!", 9 year old laptops with half the performance still go for many hundreds of dollars, when a newer production laptop would of course perform much better, have better battery life, and the list goes on.

Point being, a product is perceived as "better", but not based on practicality, but maybe brand recognition and so on. 

branding is common

product loyalty is a thing

ok i get it @bmichaels556

i will edit this post - there is billions of dollars spent for branding, it is how companies make their money. no need to buy a ferrari when a subaru will do

Intel knows their demand really well, and stop producing chips at the right time. So they have less stock in the market when it comes time to release their new product.
AMD, on the other hand, floods the market, and then steeply discounts the remaining chips...it helps that their new chips have much better performance than the old, so the old ones become less desirable faster. Plus the fact that Intel switches up the sockets more frequently, the older chips on AM4 lose their value a lot faster.

49 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

because there are a lot of stupid Intel buyers. They are also dominant in the CPU choice of Dell/HP/Lenovo prebuilts so people looking to upgrade/replace dead CPUs will have to buy them

That's a very childish way to look at things. Intel buyers are not "stupid."

I tried to go to AMD. Twice. You know what I was met with? Unstable, unreliable products. You know what works no matter what I plug in? Intel.

That may have changed, but am I going to spend money to find out when the difference in performance really isn't that high? Nope.

8 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

It's tough to explain, and I'm sure someone could do it better. But it's this sort of idea that one brand or line of products is "better" because of the name / reputation, rather than for practical reasons.

For example, think about the RX 480 and GTX 1060. Both nice cards, and really neck and neck with each other in just about all situations, certainly in gaming. Yet, despite both products being extremely close, the 1060 vastly outsold the RX 480 because "it's Nvidia", rather than "It's the better product" if that makes sense.

People perceive Apple as, let's say, being higher quality than other manufacturers, but this is debatable. But because "It's Apple!", 9 year old laptops with half the performance still go for many hundreds of dollars, when a newer production laptop would of course perform much better, have better battery life, and the list goes on.

Point being, a product is perceived as "better", but not based on practicality, but maybe brand recognition and so on. 

It's a little trickier when it comes to Apple, because they can make their OS run better when they restrict the hardware that it runs on...and that's something you simply don't have on PC. Much like how the iPhone can have much weaker spec on paper but outperform most Android phones. Also, people will buy Apple because they like the operating system, the programs that you can't get on PC, etc.

There are many things Apple makes that simply aren't matched in terms of aesthetics.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

branding is common

product loyalty is a thing

ok i get it @bmichaels556

Oh definitely, there are brands that I'm loyal to, but there are sure things they could do that would make me question that loyalty and ditch them outright.

It seems like with Apple especially, it's become this weird cult. Like, there are a LOT of people who could be presented with a superior Windows-based product. Let's say, same price, better specs, battery life, display, the list could go on. There are many Apple cult members that would still go with the Mac, but for impractical reasons.

"Well, I just think Mac OS is better."

"Okay sure, fair enough, but what about the fact that Mac OS is much more restricted with available programs, and that you're way more locked down into Apple's control, not to mention their nonsense repair situations."

"Well... Okay, but Macs are better for productivity! You know, things like Final Cut!"

"Okay, sure, it's great software. How often do you edit video?"

"Three times a year. Family vacation videos/photos and another nonsense thing once in a while."

And then their heads kind of explode. I think it's totally fine to like a product for a "second type of cool", where it's based on style and just a preference you maybe can't even describe or quantify. I think it's another to lie to yourself and join a religion based on that lie.

Wow, big rant, sorry for that lmao

AMD's release schedule, business model, and advertising mechanism promotes frequent upgrades, and as a result, a glut of last-gen stock.

Generally, their products aren't cheaper overall than Intel because many of their customers will purchase upgrade after upgrade resulting in buying more of their products.

Intel, not so much. Their customers tend to buy one chip, and it lasts them for quite a while.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Intel knows their demand really well, and stop producing chips at the right time. So they have less stock in the market when it comes time to release their new product.
AMD, on the other hand, floods the market, and then steeply discounts the remaining chips...it helps that their new chips have much better performance than the old, so the old ones become less desirable faster. Plus the fact that Intel switches up the sockets more frequently, the older chips on AM4 lose their value a lot faster.

I tried to go to AMD. Twice. You know what I was met with? Unstable, unreliable products. You know what works no matter what I plug in? Intel.

That may have changed, but am I going to spend money to find out when the difference in performance really isn't that high? Nope.

It's a little trickier when it comes to Apple, because they can make their OS run better when they restrict the hardware that it runs on...and that's something you simply don't have on PC. Much like how the iPhone can have much weaker spec on paper but outperform most Android phones. Also, people will buy Apple because they like the operating system, the programs that you can't get on PC, etc.

There are many things Apple makes that simply aren't matched in terms of aesthetics.

That's fair.. I did have an opportunity to try out an older Macbook and... It felt nice and all. I could hardly figure out how to install a program, but there were SOME things I saw as appealing even if it wasn't for me.

I just don't like when people lie to themselves about what they actually use their $27,000 laptop for.

"Oh, it's great for productivity!!"

*Edits images and videos 3 times a year and spends the rest of their time on Facebook, Youtube and checking email.

Let's be real. Only a very small percentage of Mac buyers are actually doing that kind of work. And if they prefer what Mac has to offer (and it's understandable in the case of things like Final Cut X), more power to them! Whatever it is they need to get their task done most effectively, that's great! But other than that, the average user would never notice any of it..

2 hours ago, bmichaels556 said:

As an example, if you were looking for a sedan and you saw a 2017 Kia K900 and a Mercedes C-class going for about the same price, which would you think is the better car? 

Most of the people who read that are going to prefer the Mercedes. A very small fraction of the people who know what a K900 is are going to be wondering if that car was in a wreck or if someone just doesn't know what it is they've got. 

That's mindshare. 

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I didnt talk about all of them. I'm talking about those who can't even give a reason, those who haven't thought of it at all. I totally understand how "can't do something" is even worse than "cost a lot" or "not as fast".

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, Harry Voyager said:

As an example, if you were looking for a sedan and you saw a 2017 Kia K900 and a Mercedes C-class going for about the same price, which would you think is the better car? 

Most of the people who read that are going to prefer the Mercedes. A very small fraction of the people who know what a K900 is are going to be wondering if that car was in a wreck or if someone just doesn't know what it is they've got. 

That's mindshare. 

Agreed. That's actually a fantastic example, and it works on me because I'm not extremely familiar with cars. I heard the name "Mercedes" and assumed it was better just based on that. I'd like this 100x if I could ha

+1 to "stupid buyers" opinion. How else can you explain people buying used 4th/6th/7th gen CPUs for the prices comparable to a new system?

Explanation for fanbois: it is not about picking an old Intel over a new AMD offering, it is about picking an old used 4C/8T "i7?" over a new 6C/6T i5 from the store, etc. And these are the people who tend to have some rubbish H110 motherboard and a Pentium in it.

The answer is likely a combination of supply/demand, and scarcity. Only some older Intel CPUs are holding value, but many are not.

If you have an older Intel system but without the top CPU, your easy upgrade path is to drop in a higher model CPU of that era. There's only so many of those floating around, so sellers can ask more than you like for them. There may be a point where you say, but you could get AMD CPU+mobo(+ram) for the price of an older Intel CPU, but that doesn't figure in the pain of swapping it all out. If you're going that far, it is practically a new system and not a quick upgrade.

As example, look at the 5820k, the entry level Haswell HEDT CPU. Pricing of these have dropped through the floor as those remaining on the platform upgrade to higher ones. However the 7700k is the top CPU in first socket 1151 era and they're still going for a good amount.

Now instead let's take AMD AM4 platform. One selling point is its back and forward compatibility. Zen 2 is great, and if you have an early generation Zen, you can drop in Zen 2 and have all that goodness. But now there's a ton of used Zen and Zen+ CPUs floating around. Used pricing crashes, any new ones remaining aren't likely to sell without substantial savings over Zen 2. This is the other side of the coin to the upgrade path.

BTW I'm still looking for a cheap 7700k or 7740X as I want to attempt some benchmark records for quad cores. Not expecting to find one any time soon.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible