Monitor disconnecting when going to sleep

fldujit

Hello LTT community! I’m seeking help here after many hours spent googling. So I recently purchased an Asus VG27AQ to replace my old 1080p60 monitor. So far the monitor is great but I started observing a weird behavior in Windows. Every time the monitor goes to sleep and comes back up, it disconnects from the computer which shifts every window (or the lock screen) to my secondary monitor, then a few seconds later it reconnects and becomes my primary monitor (as it was before) which shuffles my windows around some more. Needless to say that this is pretty disruptive. 

My setup:

• VG27AQ 1440p - DisplayPort - primary monitor
  • Old asus 1080p - DisplayPort - secondary monitor
  • Windows 10 latest update

I’ve done a lot of research but couldn’t find a proper solution. So far I tried:

• Updating my Nvidia drivers
  • Changed graphics card (EVGA 2060 Super)
  • Go to device manager and delete all the disconnected monitors 
  • Use DVI and HDMI on my secondary monitor
  • Enable/disable gsync

I wondered if anyone here had experienced the same issue recently and if there are some creative solutions I haven’t tried yet. 

I settled for a not so perfect solution of running a program called PersistentWindow written by some dude a long time ago (thanks dude) which repositions my windows after the monitor reconnects, but I’d prefer addressing the issue rather than the symptoms. 

Still rocking that i7-3770k

Windows thinks that DP is some sort of USB connection. Make sure your power settings don't turn monitors off.

1 hour ago, XAIXER said:

Windows thinks that DP is some sort of USB connection. Make sure your power settings don't turn monitors off.

It annoys me that this is the only solution for MULTIPLE operating systems. You either have to keep your monitors on always or just deal with it.

Maybe you can set the screensaver to "black screen" in windows and  set the displays to never sleep?

18 minutes ago, XAIXER said:

You could, though not many people use screensavers anymore :P

hey I mean, if it works and keeps the monitors from shutting off... :P

3 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

hey I mean, if it works and keeps the monitors from shutting off... :P

Time to resurrect those Windows XP wallpapers! I will check the power settings to see if I can get the monitor to stay on but to display a black screen somehow. 

Still rocking that i7-3770k

• 6 months later...

hello y'all, issue here to. monitor disconnected when it goes  on stand buy.  like as if i was unplugging it from the PC. i looked everywhere. but it seems the select few have this issue and no one else dose... 

3 moniter work station set up

computer:

rtx 2080 

i9900k

1 pro color displayport connected

2 asus 280 Hz gaming displayport connected

3 hdmi cheep ips lg monitor HDMI connected

i been dealing with moniter issues and im starting to think i have to hdmi evey thing for SUCH A SIMPLE THING.... why cant they just detect they are going to sleep and NOT discontent??? am i the only one in the world with this issue??? uhhh so frustrated lol

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue with my LG27GN800.

The fix for me was simply to install the display driver from the LG support site.

Never ever had I done this befor, but as far as I can tell it's working now.

Edit: Worked for a Day... its now Broken again.