New PC BSOD

PaNdRaGoN
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
46 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

BSOD

Random BSoDs is a sure sign your RAM is bad. The built-in tests you tried don't do anything really. The only way to test RAM for certain is to use MemTest86+, it will have to run for many hours, but it will find bad RAM.

But in the meantime, leave XMP off and any OCing turned off. If possible, leave everything in BIOS at its default state.

Run MT86+ and report back what you find

Hello. I recently (30th of October) built myself a new PC. The specs are : Ryzen 5 3600, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB RAM Corsair @3200Mhz 16CAS, Corsair TX 650M, 2 Sata 3 SSDs and one NVMe Adata XPG 8200. The GPU I originally bought was the RX 5700 XT nitro +. As soon as I assembled the PC it booted to the BIOS normally, after that I shut it down, inserted my USB with Windows 10 on (it was an old version though, 1806 or something similar) and everything went smoothly. After the installation of windows where I was choosing what data I want Microsoft to receive from my computer, it shutted down all of a sudden. It wouldn't start up again no matter what, so I started troubleshooting and ended up at the conclusion that the problem was the GPU so I sent it back at the store I bought it from for them to check it if it is DOA or something. Now I am using the computer with my old GPU a GTX 660 from ASUS.

The PC booted back up to the point it had shut down. After entering windows I started getting BSOD every now and then. The problem persists until now, I am getting random BSOD, Mozilla crashes a lot on every tab but specially on the ones with images or videos (edge only once or twice that far), Geforce experience is acting weird every now and then (it won't start due to 0x0003 error, or it will download the drivers, will not install them and then start the download over and over again), windows updates are mostly done but some are getting stuck or giving errors (e.g. update KB4522355 gives me 0x80070002) and other stuff on programs not working correctly.

I have formatted and reinstalled windows 3 times until now. At first I thought that the older version was the problem so I created a new flash drive with windows latest version on from Microsoft, so the 2nd and 3rd time Windows were on the version 1903. Almost nothing changed. Then I checked the RAM with "Windows Memory DIagnostic" and it was ok. I disabled the XMP Profile. (I have not OCed anything) I tried some things I read and saw online but they didn't help. The BSOD I get can be after 2 hours of using the computer or instantly as soon as it boots before I put my code to log In to Windows. I will list down below the stop codes I have got so far

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (which is the one that has occurred the most)

DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL(this time it was not with just a space in-between the words)

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Once where it showed SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION below that it showed "What failed : dxgmms2.sys". I do not know how to handle this situation and what else I can do. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. : Excuse me for any mistakes.  I tried to write and post this topic as fast as I could before I get my next BSOD. If I forgot something or more information are needed I will try my best to provide them.

46 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

BSOD

Random BSoDs is a sure sign your RAM is bad. The built-in tests you tried don't do anything really. The only way to test RAM for certain is to use MemTest86+, it will have to run for many hours, but it will find bad RAM.

But in the meantime, leave XMP off and any OCing turned off. If possible, leave everything in BIOS at its default state.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thank you for the reply. So I ran the MemTest once for roughly 10 minutes and it had found around 10.000 errors until then. Now I removed one stick and I rerun it. Until now it has not found a single error but I will let it finish all tests 4 times just to be sure, and then I will check the other stick. Is there any possibility that the MB slot for RAM is faulty? Will it be recognized as a DOA product (in EU) since I purchased it less than a week ago? Or will they tell me that it just works like this or something similar?

4 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Is there any possibility that the MB slot for RAM is faulty?

I have seen this only on very old motherboards, more likely the RAM isn't any good.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have seen this only on very old motherboards, more likely the RAM isn't any good.

I think you are right is is the RAM. I checked them one by one on the same slot. One stick had 2 errors and the other one had so many errors that the test stopped and gave a too many errors message. A properly working RAM should have 0 errors or just a few is fine?

5 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

I think you are right is is the RAM. I checked them one by one on the same slot. One stick had 2 errors and the other one had so many errors that the test stopped and gave a too many errors message. A properly working RAM should have 0 errors or just a few is fine?

did you make sure the ram was compatible with your MB and CPU? i just built my system ran into a bunch of bsods. thought ram was the issue as i bought it on ebay used. but after testing i found 0 errors. i have an asus board tried to us EZ installer utility for bios update said it was up to date. so i finally posted here and someone pointed out my bios was extremely old. So this is what i did. 

Downloaded all the newest drivers from my manufactures website for mother board. GPU and all that jazz i can grab later. you can now if you wish. but those drivers on a second hard drive or UBS stick.

Created a brand new Windows 10 USB boot drive.

shut my computer down loaded into bios.

now my bios i can upgrade right from there through the internet. which is what i did. then booted into my usb drive. did a complete fresh install of OS.got in updated all the drivers. then hit up windows update. my computer has been running 8 hours not a single problem.

1-3 errors are fine on ram it happens. but 1 error per min. that's a lot. like i stated in mine i thought it was my ram. it wasn't.

ALSO make sure your setting are loaded with optimized defaults. until you get windows fully up and running. make sure its stable as is before changing a bunch of stuff.

11 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

A properly working RAM should have 0 errors or just a few is fine?

0 errors.

11 hours ago, N004Drake said:

did you make sure the ram was compatible with your MB and CPU? i just built my system ran into a bunch of bsods. thought ram was the issue as i bought it on ebay used. but after testing i found 0 errors. i have an asus board tried to us EZ installer utility for bios update said it was up to date. so i finally posted here and someone pointed out my bios was extremely old. So this is what i did. 

Downloaded all the newest drivers from my manufactures website for mother board. GPU and all that jazz i can grab later. you can now if you wish. but those drivers on a second hard drive or UBS stick.

Created a brand new Windows 10 USB boot drive.

shut my computer down loaded into bios.

now my bios i can upgrade right from there through the internet. which is what i did. then booted into my usb drive. did a complete fresh install of OS.got in updated all the drivers. then hit up windows update. my computer has been running 8 hours not a single problem.

1-3 errors are fine on ram it happens. but 1 error per min. that's a lot. like i stated in mine i thought it was my ram. it wasn't.

ALSO make sure your setting are loaded with optimized defaults. until you get windows fully up and running. make sure its stable as is before changing a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I checked online the motherboards compatibility lists for RAMs and it does not have the specific code of my ram which is "CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W" but it has a number or a letter changed in many models.(e.g. 3000 instead of 3200 or "D" im position of "C" and other similar things) I asked the store I bought it from to install me the latest BIOS but they told me that the motherboard already has the latest one, plus it came with a "AMD RYZEN 3000 DESKTOP READY" sticker. I will check it though just to be sure. Yet again I don't think it is a software issue as it happened many times right upon entering windows, before I could even finish their installation or put my code to log in. It also happened to me that my PC was running for like 10 hours straight when I was not using it and had just left it there downloading(slow internet speed thus the 10 hours) I will make a last check that I have latest updates, running everything stock and stuff, then test them and if that fails I will send them back.

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

0 errors.

Ok thank you a lot.

Do you guys happen to know if they will be eligible for DOA in case everything fails in the last test? They seem to work fine until you test them with something more expertised in RAM testing such as MT86+.

2 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

They seem to work fine until you test them with something more expertised in RAM testing such as MT86+.

I used to work extensively with Kingston RAM company. If ever a RAM module failed, I'd tell them I tested it with MemTest86+ and they'd instantly RMA the unit, no questions asked. Can't vouch for other makers tho...

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I used to work extensively with Kingston RAM company. If ever a RAM module failed, I'd tell them I tested it with MemTest86+ and they'd instantly RMA the unit, no questions asked. Can't vouch for other makers tho...

Ok, so I have hopes that they will replace it.

Update : After making sure I had XMP and any OC disabled and after I made sure I had the latest BIOS, drivers, updates etc. I tested again every combination with RAM sticks and MOBO sockets for RAM. Both sticks are faulty. One is working almost fine with a few errors(2) and just one random restart, but the other one is totally useless due to thousands of errors(test could not finish with all those errors) and all the blue screens, random restarts, lag etc. Thank you for all the help and the advices you gave me.

5 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Update : After making sure I had XMP and any OC disabled and after I made sure I had the latest BIOS, drivers, updates etc. I tested again every combination with RAM sticks and MOBO sockets for RAM. Both sticks are faulty. One is working almost fine with a few errors(2) and just one random restart, but the other one is totally useless due to thousands of errors(test could not finish with all those errors) and all the blue screens, random restarts, lag etc. Thank you for all the help and the advices you gave me.

Very nice!

If you bought all of this at a local store, I would reach them, usually stores will swap you out right there. Just a quicker turn around for you! BUT if that doesn't work call manufacture and let them know what happened and that you figured it out with MEMTest86+. They will surely replace them. and let them know it was not a fun ride. sometimes they will hook you up with goodies. Just saying!

4 hours ago, N004Drake said:

Very nice!

If you bought all of this at a local store, I would reach them, usually stores will swap you out right there. Just a quicker turn around for you! BUT if that doesn't work call manufacture and let them know what happened and that you figured it out with MEMTest86+. They will surely replace them. and let them know it was not a fun ride. sometimes they will hook you up with goodies. Just saying!

I just contacted the store. They test the RAM with MT86+ too, so tomorrow they will ship me my new RAM. I currently don't have the patience to contact Corsair and try to squeez out some extra benefit or something. I am just happy they accept it and I hope the next modules won't be faulty.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:01 PM, Radium_Angel said:

On 11/4/2019 at 7:39 AM, N004Drake said:

Very nice!

So I sent back the RAM so the store's technicians could check them and they found no errors at all after running MT86+ in 5.1 and 8.1 versions. They told me that they ran it for 47 minutes. Now I have 2 options.

1) Either I get them back and try to figure it out.

2) Or they contact Corsair for RMA that could take 2 months and make no difference if they also find 0 errors.

I really do not know what happened. With the stick that had less errors I ran Prime95 for more than 90 minutes and everything was fine, so I don't think it is a problem of the CPU, or SSD. Also I checked the different slots the motherboard has(with the RAM I had) and they seemed to be consistant, punctional and repeatable at their results.

Today I asked a buddy of mine to lend me his RAM so we can check again. Is there any possibility they did not run the tests properly?(I surely had any OC and XMP disabled but I don't know if and what else I could have done wrong from the options, BIOS or something as I had not changed anything)

Any advice?

1 hour ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Any advice?

No advice. I've never seen this before, maybe the CPU is defective and crunching the data wrong, hence the errors?

give the ram to your friend and test, if it's clean, and his runs dirty in your system, then you've got a bad board somehow, or bad CPU. It's impossible to run the test wrong.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:40 PM, Radium_Angel said:

No advice. I've never seen this before, maybe the CPU is defective and crunching the data wrong, hence the errors?

give the ram to your friend and test, if it's clean, and his runs dirty in your system, then you've got a bad board somehow, or bad CPU. It's impossible to run the test wrong.

I tested my friends RAM(G.Skill instead of Corsair but same speed, latency and all the rest) and it ran prefectly fine on all the tests and normal use it got through. They still do not find any errors. I told them to run the test for all the 4 passes not just 1 pass so the sticks can get hotter, to try testing one stick first and then the other, trying them in a normal use case scenario but they told me that if they were faulty they would show up errors from the first pass etc. They seem like they want to help me with words but in action they do not seem to really care and there is nothing I can do for that. I am thinking about going RMA, though it will take 1,5 month or more and yet in case I am wrong(I do not know exactly how) nothing will happen and I will have wasted all this time.

6 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

I tested my friends RAM(G.Skill instead of Corsair but same speed, latency and all the rest) and it ran prefectly fine on all the tests and normal use it got through.

Does your machine work fine/normal, using his RAM?

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does your machine work fine/normal, using his RAM?

Yeap it works pefrectly fine on everything, and on MT86 is showed 0 erros after 4 passes.

1 minute ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Yeap it works pefrectly fine on everything, and on MT86 is showed 0 erros after 4 passes.

Heck, if his RAM works in your system without issues, I'd make an offer to buy them from him...

Heck, if his RAM works in your system without issues, I'd make an offer to buy them from him...

Nah he is using his RAM in his PC, plus I do not know what will happen with the RAM I bought. I think that the sticks really are faulty but show up the errors in higher temps maybe.

1 minute ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

errors in higher temps maybe.

I have seen this. Hence the reason to run the test overnight...really push the RAM

I have seen this. Hence the reason to run the test overnight...really push the RAM

Well in my case I let the test ran as much as possible, but they just let it fro 40 minutes just to finish first pass.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, PaNdRaGoN said:

Well in my case I let the test ran as much as possible, but they just let it fro 40 minutes just to finish first pass.

sorry been a min. The location needs to do there job and run a longer test. 1 pass is garbage and we all know it.