How do you name the plastic object around USB socket on the motherboard

Go to solution Solved by ZivZulander,

From Genwyn's post and this, I think I may be correct in it not having a standardized name:

"Pin headers with a plastic guide box around them are known as box headers (BH) or shrouded headers and are normally only used in combination with insulation-displacement connectors (IDC) for ribbon cables. A notch (key) in the guide box normally prevents placing the connector (polarised by a "bump" on one side) the wrong way around."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header

it has no particular name for it, call it whatever you want. I would call that a connector header shroud or something.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

it has no particular name for it, call it whatever you want. I would call that a connector header shroud or something.

4 minutes ago, ZivZulander said:

Header shroud? Not sure if there's a standard name.

"Header" sounds right though we do say 4-pin header and stuff.

From Genwyn's post and this, I think I may be correct in it not having a standardized name:

"Pin headers with a plastic guide box around them are known as box headers (BH) or shrouded headers and are normally only used in combination with insulation-displacement connectors (IDC) for ribbon cables. A notch (key) in the guide box normally prevents placing the connector (polarised by a "bump" on one side) the wrong way around."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header

I only have one question. Why is yours missing on header 2?

Being a very small plastic component chances are by itself it doesn't have an "English" name rather a jumbled series of numbers and letters.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I only have one question. Why is yours missing on header 2?

When I was disconnecting the cable (of my computer case), which was supposed to be connected to this socket, the cable got stuck into this header shroud and came out with the header shroud.

42 minutes ago, Rakanoth said:

When I was disconnecting the cable (of my computer case), which was supposed to be connected to this socket, the cable got stuck into this header shroud and came out with the header shroud.

Did the frame crack? Can you not re-use the original?

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Did the frame crack? Can you not re-use the original?

The frame did not crack but it is quite hard to place it back without bending the pins.

1 hour ago, Rakanoth said:

The frame did not crack but it is quite hard to place it back without bending the pins.

Even if you got a brand new replacement plastic piece the holes would be just as tight (if not tighter). Making it just as hard (if not harder) to re-attach.

What you could do which may do the trick is put the plastic piece back on the end of the USB3 header cable. Then push it on the pins. Assuming you don't jerk it any direction by accident it may allow you to get the piece back on. Then by wiggling the cable you should be able to remove the cable without taking the plastic header with it.

25 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What you could do which may do the trick is put the plastic piece back on the end of the USB3 header cable. Then push it on the pins. Assuming you don't jerk it any direction by accident it may allow you to get the piece back on. Then by wiggling the cable you should be able to remove the cable without taking the plastic header with it.

This is a good suggestion but I already tried that. The cable won't let the shroud header go. :D

10 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

This is a good suggestion but I already tried that. The cable won't let the shroud header go. :D

Depending on how willing you are I have three possible solutions:

1. Return the motherboard for RMA
  2. Superglue the plastic part to the motherboard
  3. Deliberately shave off the plastic clips that how the cable to the plastic piece