Extending powerline ethernet and bandwidth

I live as a tennant in a shared house. My room is the furthest away from the router, and my Wifi signal is not that good, especially when my housemates use Wifi as well.

I am looking into the possiblity of buying a pair of powerline ethernet adaptors. The problem is one of my house mates is already using a pair so that she can connect her PC. One of her adaptors is plugged into the router in the living room. 

If I were to buy one adaptor, plug it into my room and connect it to her adaptor in the living room, would that slow down the connection to her room?

If the answer is yes, would it be a problem if I plugged one of my adaptors in an extension cord in the living room? There are only two wall sockets next to the router, one is used by her adaptor and the other by extension cord, which is where the TV, router and TV box are plugged in. Otherwise, I would have to run an ethernet cable across the living room to another socket, which is not ideal.

is the router in the house the one that came with the ISP or is it one that the owner bought? if its the one from the ISP, consder sharing the cost of a new one. this will significantly improve the wifi for everyone provided the speeds the owner pays for is enough. 

if the house is >3000sq ft, you might even consider a mesh router system. this will almost completely remove the need for powerline as the wifi should be able to reach everywhere. 

you may not need to buy powerline. 

On 10/27/2019 at 11:05 PM, Saksham said:

is the router in the house the one that came with the ISP or is it one that the owner bought? if its the one from the ISP, consder sharing the cost of a new one. this will significantly improve the wifi for everyone provided the speeds the owner pays for is enough. 

if the house is >3000sq ft, you might even consider a mesh router system. this will almost completely remove the need for powerline as the wifi should be able to reach everywhere. 

you may not need to buy powerline. 

The router is from the ISP, and handles TV as well. The others are fine with the wifi so that is not an option, and neither is mesh wifi. Everyone has a decent wifi signal except me. 

i *think* if you buy another powerline adapter it should just work, but I'm not sure. contact the people who make the powerline adapters. they would know for sure

The new power line adapter should be on a separate power circle otherwise will do some nasty hiccups with the one already installed.

Is your house mate against sharing the network created by the powerline adapter with you?

If you buy a powerline adapter that follows the same powerline standard, your powerline adapter should easily communicate with the powerline adapter plugged by the router ... that adapter will act like a router/switch for the other two adapters which will be connected to computers. Find the model of the existing powerline adapter, and either buy an identical one (or kit) or go on the website of the manufacturer to that powerline adapter model and see what standard it uses, then preferrably buy a powerline adapter or kit from the same manufacturer which uses same standard (or see what other series are listed as compatible with that model)

You could also replace his powerline adapter kit with something new

For example, see TP-LINK PA9020P-KIT

Plug & play, No new wires and no configuration required; Compatible with all AV2000, AV1300, AV1200, Av1000, AV600, AV500 & AV200 PowerPoint adapters.

So you could buy a 2nd kit or a standalone adapter and add it to the network... it could be a cheaper one like the 40$ TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Gigabit Port, Plug&Play, Power Saving(TL-PA7010 KIT)

one ... you plug in just the "slave" part which will search for the "parent" adapter and pair with it.

You'll have a network made out of three powerline adapters.

I see the attraction around powerline, but have you considered MoCA?  I realize you cannot string up Ethernet due to the house being a rental and all, but MoCA is going to be the next most reliable option from Ethernet. 

On 11/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, trueCABLE said:

I see the attraction around powerline, but have you considered MoCA?  I realize you cannot string up Ethernet due to the house being a rental and all, but MoCA is going to be the next most reliable option from Ethernet. 

No, never heard of that. I will look into it.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:50 AM, Braxia said:

The new power line adapter should be on a separate power circle otherwise will do some nasty hiccups with the one already installed.

What exactly do you mean by power circle?

On 10/30/2019 at 8:20 AM, mariushm said:

Is your house mate against sharing the network created by the powerline adapter with you?

If you buy a powerline adapter that follows the same powerline standard, your powerline adapter should easily communicate with the powerline adapter plugged by the router ... that adapter will act like a router/switch for the other two adapters which will be connected to computers. Find the model of the existing powerline adapter, and either buy an identical one (or kit) or go on the website of the manufacturer to that powerline adapter model and see what standard it uses, then preferrably buy a powerline adapter or kit from the same manufacturer which uses same standard (or see what other series are listed as compatible with that model)

You could also replace his powerline adapter kit with something new

For example, see TP-LINK PA9020P-KIT

So you could buy a 2nd kit or a standalone adapter and add it to the network... it could be a cheaper one like the 40$ TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Gigabit Port, Plug&Play, Power Saving(TL-PA7010 KIT)

one ... you plug in just the "slave" part which will search for the "parent" adapter and pair with it.

You'll have a network made out of three powerline adapters.

She said she would not like since she said it might slow her connection down. Would that be true?

Her powerline adaptor is this model https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220net/#overview . I was looking to buy this model https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/258-7520756-7705918?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LXOZ4EN&pd_rd_r=ea15df52-cc2c-4f1a-aa05-094eb94dc516&pd_rd_w=fyeVV&pd_rd_wg=MaeKB&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=Y619PAFJH68T00NZHYYJ&psc=1&refRID=Y619PAFJH68T00NZHYYJ . They both have the same model number, it's just that hers is AV500 and the one I want is AV600. Since they both support HomePlug AV, IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u, IEEE802.11b/g/n, I should be good, right?