People have found a way for force RCS on Google messages

I just upgraded to the Pixel 4 (Yes I'm highly enjoying the phone even with the missing fingerprint sensor and the very little storage which I barely use 5gb of storage) since my Pixel 2 broke and was sad that I couldn't use RCS yet, so I was just looking at articles on 9to5google and found this one and was excited to be able to actually use RCS and get my friends to setup and start using!

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/26/enable-rcs-android-messages/amp/

Will you be enabling this feature?

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

This uses data and Google is the one handling the RCS transmission, so Google will be able to see all your RCS messages...

Better to just wait for proper carrier support

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/always-updated-list-carriers-support-rcs-universal-profile-0191610/

I'm using this right now and it works great. And I'd rather Google see my boring texts than the carriers.

3 hours ago, rijzen said:

I'm using this right now and it works great. And I'd rather Google see my boring texts than the carriers.

What if your carrier IS Google?

So, I seen this yesterday, and it involves installing another app, Activity Launcher. So, I have a few questions about all this stuff.

1.) What is RCS and why is it "better" than the current messaging service?

2.) What is Activity Launcher, and why is it important in this process? Will it be required in the final release?

3.) Why is there a rush to use RCS suddenly?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

RCS is just normal SMS with today's chat features. It's not encrypted and honestly shouldn't even be used by anyone.

Why can't Google push a unified iMessage like platform on Android with their messages app, that would automatically use switch to data or wifi, when the app recognizes the recipient's phone is an Android device is just beyond me.

And involving carriers to do absolutely anything positive for it's user base is just the dumbest decision anyone could ever make.

I've had Google fi and using the Google messages app I've had RCS in America for quite some time now. Didnt even realize it didnt work on other carriers. I dont really get the hoopla about it though. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

RCS will be routed through Google? God fucking no then.

9 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Why can't Google push a unified iMessage like platform on Android with their messages app, that would automatically use switch to data or wifi, when the app recognizes the recipient's phone is an Android device is just beyond me.

Probably because they fear getting sued from just about every corner: companies that operate messaging services on Android, pretty much every mobile carrier in the world would be after their arses, the EU would probably stick their noses in there for anti-competitieve practices, probably Apple seuing them as well for good measure (pretty sure they'll find something to whine about again),...

Either way, they would probably get more than a couple lawsuits and million dollar fines stuck up their multi-colored nostrils. 

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

RCS will be routed through Google? God fucking no then.

Your carrier sees everything so...??

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

RCS is just normal SMS with today's chat features. It's not encrypted and honestly shouldn't even be used by anyone.

And involving carriers to do absolutely anything positive for it's user base is just the dumbest decision anyone could ever make.

They can't force people to use their app or they can get fined which they had already done for google maps and other apps... They would if they could but other apps won't support it and carriers won't comply 

12 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

What if your carrier IS Google?

So, I seen this yesterday, and it involves installing another app, Activity Launcher. So, I have a few questions about all this stuff.

1.) What is RCS and why is it "better" than the current messaging service?

2.) What is Activity Launcher, and why is it important in this process? Will it be required in the final release?

3.) Why is there a rush to use RCS suddenly?

RCS is much better than SMS\MMS because it eliminates most of the restrictions of the two. You can send large files, full size photos and a crap ton of text. Most carriers in the US limit SMS/MMS to a maximum of 1 or 2 mb for the entire message leaving your recipient with potato photos that are compressed to hell.

2 hours ago, KingZero101 said:

Your carrier sees everything so...??

So, why should Google have its paw in my data just because carrier does? Isn't carrier enough as it is? But your logic seem to be, if carrier does, EVERYONE should. No wonder privacy is a total fuckup these days...

13 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

They did have/do have an app like that (don't know if it still exists), but it is/was not installed by default... Don't remember what it was called.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 10/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, Syfes said:

Probably because they fear getting sued from just about every corner: companies that operate messaging services on Android, pretty much every mobile carrier in the world would be after their arses, the EU would probably stick their noses in there for anti-competitieve practices, probably Apple seuing them as well for good measure (pretty sure they'll find something to whine about again),...

Either way, they would probably get more than a couple lawsuits and million dollar fines stuck up their multi-colored nostrils. 

Why would other companies who have messaging platforms Sue Google? And mobile carriers and EU? All I'm saying is, add functionality on the Android SMS app with iMessage like feature. Tbh, it's too late now since most people already have their choice of text messaging app, but if Google could play the long game and actually not kill the app this time, it would've garnered at least some users.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, KingZero101 said:

They can't force people to use their app or they can get fined which they had already done for google maps and other apps... They would if they could but other apps won't support it and carriers won't comply 

Don't force. Just make it more convinient. Offer features and integrations other apps don't have yet. Make it fun, colourful and reliable. It's very easy to draw in young crowd if they do it right and soon the rest will follow

On 10/28/2019 at 11:10 AM, Mihle said:

They did have/do have an app like that (don't know if it still exists), but it is/was not installed by default... Don't remember what it was called.

Yeah Google have made and killed way too many messaging apps at this point. I think you're talking about Allo, but it's never going to work if it's a separate app that you'll have to download from the play store. It's too late for that now as most people will automatically choose WhatsApp or telegram for as messaging app of choice