[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

46 minutes ago, kkzyzzzz said:

Previous one is antec hcg 620 and it still alive

i buy strix psu because the old one have not power for three 7.2k rpm hdd

And you didn't have any problems with it ? How long it were used with this GPU ? Try to swap it back to see if problem persists.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

hi, planning on getting the cougar gx-f aurum tommorow. any thoughts if i should go for it or wait out more reviews? it's a pretty new PSU isn;t it? 

Hey everyone, so I bought a EVGA BR 600 for my Ryzen 5 3600 and MSI RX 5700 MECH OC build, and everyone is saying that this PSU is bad, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

24 minutes ago, senyortaco said:

hi, planning on getting the cougar gx-f aurum tommorow. any thoughts if i should go for it or wait out more reviews? it's a pretty new PSU isn;t it? 

It's a good PSU, don't worry.

4 minutes ago, Vermor24 said:

Hey everyone, so I bought a EVGA BR 600 for my Ryzen 5 3600 and MSI RX 5700 MECH OC build, and everyone is saying that this PSU is bad, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

It's not that bad but for RX5700 i'd get smth better, although if you've already got it and can't return, well, be it.

32 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's not that bad but for RX5700 i'd get smth better, although if you've already got it and can't return, well, be it.

Do you think if I get a different better PSU in like 1 or 2 months this should be fine meanwhile? I do a decent amount of editing in premiere pro and do some stuff in blender too, I'm not planning on overclocking or anything like that tho.

30 minutes ago, Vermor24 said:

Do you think if I get a different better PSU in like 1 or 2 months this should be fine meanwhile? I do a decent amount of editing in premiere pro and do some stuff in blender too, I'm not planning on overclocking or anything like that tho.

It would be fine either way.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, Blueaid said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the SilverStone ET650-G? I see its currently listed as B+ tier. The specs can be found here as well, https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=767

I've tried to do research on it myself and look into any reviews I can before I posted here but there are very little to check out. The two or three that I can find seem positive.

So yeah, I'd stay away from the SilverStone ET650-G. The fan rattles pretty loudly whenever it ramps up. Already RMA'd it.

5 hours ago, Blueaid said:

So yeah, I'd stay away from the SilverStone ET650-G. The fan rattles pretty loudly whenever it ramps up. Already RMA'd it.

Then you'd stay away from half of budget PSUs as a lot of them have Yate Loon sleeve bearing fan. It's just a random failure, it happens.

23 hours ago, Juular said:

thanks sir. just ordered it.

13 hours ago, Juular said:

Then you'd stay away from half of budget PSUs as a lot of them have Yate Loon sleeve bearing fan. It's just a random failure, it happens.

Probably will just wait for Corsair PSUs to drop in price. I have a TX650V2 that's been working well for 8+ years that I'll use in the mean time.

3 minutes ago, Blueaid said:

Probably will just wait for Corsair PSUs to drop in price. I have a TX650V2 that's been working well for 8+ years that I'll use in the mean time.

That PSU had Yate Loon ball-bearing fan, you wouldn't find ball bearing fans in modern units often. Generally you'd want at least rifle or FDB, which are rifles for the most part anyway too, there's very few true FDB fans.

Hello I am building a budget build for my son. Athlon 64 x2 and a gtx 560ti. I found a thermaltake psu but I'm not sure. Toughpower Qfan 500w. PSH500V-D and the TR2 S 80+

11 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

Hello I am building a budget build for my son. Athlon 64 x2 and a gtx 560ti. I found a thermaltake psu but I'm not sure. Toughpower Qfan 500w. PSH500V-D

Oh my ... that's not budget system, it's ancient, he wouldn't be able to run anything, even cheapest APU system would be better. And that PSU from 2008 even if it's sealed new would be probably borderline dead by this time anyway.

I have an EVGA SuperNova G2 850w I got 2nd hand in 2016, rebuilding my PC with Ryzen 2 and thinking maybe I should replace it, is it likely to be ageing internally now it's at least 6 years old (they look to have been released in 2014? and I've had it switched on for most of the 4 years I've had it)

I'm looking at the tier list and wondering how to judge the best longevity? I guess it's impossible to test without a time machine, should I just go for any of the A+/S tier units or is the better build quality in the S tier what will give a longer life? (What's the "safe" life span anyway?)

4 hours ago, trif55 said:

I have an EVGA SuperNova G2 850w I got 2nd hand in 2016, rebuilding my PC with Ryzen 2 and thinking maybe I should replace it, is it likely to be ageing internally now it's at least 6 years old (they look to have been released in 2014? and I've had it switched on for most of the 4 years I've had it)

I'm looking at the tier list and wondering how to judge the best longevity? I guess it's impossible to test without a time machine, should I just go for any of the A+/S tier units or is the better build quality in the S tier what will give a longer life? (What's the "safe" life span anyway?)

It's fine, it's a very good unit and it has 10 yr. warranty. Keep it.

10 hours ago, Juular said:

Oh my ... that's not budget system, it's ancient, he wouldn't be able to run anything, even cheapest APU system would be better. And that PSU from 2008 even if it's sealed new would be probably borderline dead by this time anyway.

It still runs fine and it was an old system from a friend and it was free. He just wants something for older games. Minecraft, WoT, and so play fine. It would be his first pc do it doesn't need to be top of the line. It just needs to work for school stuff. 

2 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

It still runs fine and it was an old system from a friend and it was free. He just wants something for older games. Minecraft, WoT, and so play fine. It would be his first pc do it doesn't need to be top of the line. It just needs to work for school stuff. 

Well, entire system is ancient, if it still runs - be it. That PSU weren't exactly bad or cheap at the time but again, after 11 years it's probably almost dead by now.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

Well, entire system is ancient, if it still runs - be it. That PSU weren't exactly bad or cheap at the time but again, after 11 years it's probably almost dead by now.

Yes it is old. but who cares. If you take care of them they will last a long time. My old system with a Q9300 and GTX 760 are still running fine. But I have noticed unless I have the best most newest stuff I'm just being insulted here. 

1 hour ago, GreY2231 said:

Yes it is old. but who cares. If you take care of them they will last a long time. My old system with a Q9300 and GTX 760 are still running fine. But I have noticed unless I have the best most newest stuff I'm just being insulted here. 

No-one did insult you, it's just that this PC is old all around, buying a new PSU for it is obviously is not a question. And the answer for your question, 'is this PSU good' is no, it's not. But for the system as old it's probably okay as long as it's still running as even if it would blow-up the next day there's nothing to lose.

@JuularDo you have any thoughts regarding the CX650 2017 vs. TX650M 2017?

6 minutes ago, Blueaid said:

@JuularDo you have any thoughts regarding the CX650 2017 vs. TX650M?

TX-m is a bit better, like additional 10$ worthy at most.

I am looking to get a 750W/850W PSU. Dont know which one to get everything is out of stock. My setup is for i9 10900k and the upcoming 3080ti. Yes I am buying everything now. I already have everything except the CPU and PSU.

1 hour ago, TheKid0 said:

I am looking to get a 750W/850W PSU. Dont know which one to get everything is out of stock. My setup is for i9 10900k and the upcoming 3080ti. Yes I am buying everything now. I already have everything except the CPU and PSU.

Plenty of options actually but mostly from 160-170$. Although there are these for cheaper.

Antec HCG Gold 650W - there's possibility that this is old stock, based on Focus FM which has shutdown issues with AMD Vega and since we don't know power draw profile of RTX3080Ti it's not recommended

TT TP Grand RGB Gold 650W - possibly doesn't have working OTP but it's still a good unit otherwise

Corsair RMx v2 750W - good

Corsair RMx v2 750W White - good too

50 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Do Corsair fanboys have their own religion now or... ?

Haven't heard of Church of Flextronics ?