To all the haswell overclockers out there

VCCIN = VCore +0.4

Intel defines the VCCIN specification (called the ‘Eventual CPU input voltage’ in the ROG BIOS) in relation to CPU Vcore as follows:

• Less than 0.4V above vcore – not recommended. Instability is almost guaranteed
  • 0.4V above vcore – ideal value
  • 0.4-0.6V above vcore – general ‘OK’ range
  • Above 0.6V – not recommend as long-term damage can occur
  • Generally speaking, higher VCCIN can cause a higher CPU temperature

Source: http://rog.asus.com/244672013/labels/featured/introduction-to-fully-integrated-voltage-regulators-fivr-on-maximus-vi/

I do not have a ROG motherboard, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

I do not have a ROG motherboard, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

Actually I think it applies to all motherboards on the market

moral of the story is that overclocking is risky and should be done with caution? yeah everyone knows that.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

moral of the story is that overclocking is risky and should be done with caution? yeah everyone knows that.

The problem is that some well known guides (even on this forum) say you can safely set your VCCIN up to 2.1V. Which actually isn't true according to the link above.

The problem is that some well known guides (even on this forum) say you can safely set your VCCIN up to 2.1V. Which actually isn't true according to the link above.

Maybe they just mean 1.5V+0.6V? 

Setting a vcore of 1.5V is well known for being far from safe. Especially on Haswell. Guides generally say low 1.4 range is the redline. You don't want to go above that.

Setting a vcore of 1.5V is well known for being far from safe. Especially on Haswell. Guides generally say low 1.4 range is the redline. You don't want to go above that.

And TTL has said that he doesn't see any good reason to go over 1.3V with haswell.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

ok im confused, so ive got my initial cpu voltage at 1.9 and my cpu core voltage at 1.388 @4.7GHz with my cpu cache voltage at 1.3 are my volts safe, as i don't understand what the VCCIN thing is ( im new to overclocking and my mobo)

ok im confused, so ive got my initial cpu voltage at 1.9 and my cpu core voltage at 1.388 @4.7GHz with my cpu cache voltage at 1.3 are my volts safe, as i don't understand what the VCCIN thing is ( im new to overclocking and my mobo)

The VCCIN bottom stuff don't worry about. Like say your board can run at 1.776 VCCIN and you are 1.15v. That is fine, it is just rarely stable. Going lower on VCCIN hurts nothing, it just rarely works. 

You are within the tolerance. The problem would be if you have say 1.15v on Vcore and 1.9 VCCIN. That is too big a gap. 

I would be more worried about 1.388v. I see no reason whatsoever to run that voltage 24/7 on Haswell. Unless you are playing Guild Wars 2 or Flight Simulator? Your GPU is bottle necking you anyways and those primarily 3 core games are going the way of the dodo.

It is all up to you. Can you afford to lose the chip in a couple years? Then go for it. Just keep in mind that Sandy Bridge is still relevant and at 4.5 you are beating damn near every Sandy Bridge OC in the world. Then add in that it is winter. Personally I would go down to 4.5 ghz.  

I highly doubt the next Intel series is going to OC better then the Haswell. They get worse with every series. You may end up faster then most oc's on the next series at 4.5 and safer temps/voltage. 

All up to you. Your money. If it breaks? There is no guarantee the next Haswell I5 will get over 4.2. When you get a good chip? IMO you want it to last. Getting over 4.4 seems to be the exception, not the average on Haswell. If this was Sandy? I would say overclock it to hell and back lol. :) Haswell is no Sandy. 

Go ahead and run all the cinebenches, benchmarks at 4.7. Leave that kind of overclock (save the profile) until you actually need it for a 24/7. That could be in 2 years or 5, or longer. Who knows. If we were getting a big jump? I don't think Haswell would be the next 2011 board. 

http://pclab.pl/art55953-3.html

The I5 is so fast at 4.5ghz it doesn't even need optimization. :)

Whether you went AMD GPU or Nvidia GPU? You are good to go. You got a good chip. Make it last. Many people on this board would kill to even go over 4.2 on a 4670k.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.