Leadwerks: Indie edition - Good game engine?

Guest Gazzer96

I am currently learning about game design and currently have the free version of Unity, which I am not entirely happy with it so I looked for alternatives. UDK look promising, but I've heard there is a huge fee if you want to release a game to the public when using that engine. I then came across Leadwerks: indie edition priced at £75 that may well be the winner- it has real time lighting so you do not have to pay £1000 just to get it for Unity, it uses lua which is suppose to be easier to learn compared to Java, C#, C++,etc. and the licensing is royalty-free.

Before I go digging into my pockets though, I would like to hear from people who have used this engine before to see if it worth the money.

Here are some links for those who have not heard of it yet:

Steam page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/251810

home page: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/home?showbanner=0

Help will be appreciated! :D

It doesn't look like OMG Dem Graphics but it would be a good engine for a first game, it uses C++ btw so before you purchase this i would learn C++ (programmr.com) 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

It doesn't look like OMG Dem Graphics but it would be a good engine for a first game, it uses C++ btw so before you purchase this i would learn C++ (programmr.com) 

Leadwerks is a powerful and easy-to-use game engine for building any kind of 3D game. With a rapid development pipeline, Lua script integration, plenty of learning materials, and a royalty-free license, Leadwerks is the perfect way to make 3D games that look and feel amazing.

I saw this on the home-page, the third slide so i assumed it used C++

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

it integrates lua as a scripting language, parallel to c++ as a programming language

also unity works with javascript as scripting and c# as programming (i think?)

from what i read, i think they're both available, the video shows lua as it looks like it's some cool stuff that game developers love. i honestly have no idea what it is

Well you can actually do prett good things with Unity itself(free version).

Depends what are you trying to achieve.

Also, You can get Unity, code in javascript which is freakin' easy and for 75 $ you have , you can purchase additional assets (GREAT level design tools, AI e.t.c. for few bucks) from asset store.

And be ready to go.

Really, dont lock youself in a cage with what you have now, but think to the future.

Also Unity (dont know how about UDK or the second thing, but i am sure that its the same) has some realy good materials, lessons, troubleshooting forums, and forums in general with active users, their IRC with many helfull guys +  many usefull videos on their own youtube channel.

Going wiht unity cannot get you wrong :)