Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Hello, i want to buy Ryzen 7 3700X and use it with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX since it supports Ryzen 3gen out of the box. Is it good idea? Will there by any performance loss againts some low-end X570 MB? Is the price difference really wurf againts Ryzen5 3600X or should i stick with 3600X and Tomahawk MAX since im "on budget" and cant afford good X570MB for Ryzen 7?

9 minutes ago, PetrPospi said:

Hello, i want to buy Ryzen 7 3700X and use it with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX since it supports Ryzen 3gen out of the box. Is it good idea? Will there by any performance loss againts some low-end X570 MB? Is the price difference really wurf againts Ryzen5 3600X or should i stick with 3600X and Tomahawk MAX since im "on budget" and cant afford good X570MB for Ryzen 7?

The b450 will be enough even for a 3900x. Though if you are on a budget you could go for a 3600 (non x). x570 is usefull if you use gen 4 NVMe SSD otherwise the Asus x570-P is a good motherboard and kinda cheap (160 USD).

no, thats a great pair. Truthfully, x570 boards are not necessary since all you gain really is PCIE gen 4, which 99% of us will never be able to use to its full potential because of our use case and louder systems overall due to a fan on the chipset. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

The only real loss will be full PCIe 4.0 support (And the features that brings); but overall you probably would not notice much difference, if anything.

I would recommend downloading the manual for that board as MSI is pretty good about showing what the PCIe lanes do depending on the generation you run in it. At a glance I don't see any issues, especially if you want out of box compatibility.

nice, thx alot... so my future setup will be looking like this: Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX, HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 and Aorus RX570 4GB... is everythink ok like this? Do you see any possible problems here?

5 minutes ago, PetrPospi said:

nice, thx alot... so my future setup will be looking like this: Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX, HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 and Aorus RX570 4GB... is everythink ok like this? Do you see any possible problems here?

Is this just for gaming? If so maybe consider stepping down to the 3600 and spend a couple more bucks on the GPU. The RX570 is just gonna be playing catch up with the 3700X all the time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

Just now, BigRom said:

Is this just for gaming? If so maybe consider stepping down to the 3600 and spend a couple more bucks on the GPU. The RX570 is just gonna be playing catch up with the 3700X all the time.

I already have RX570 running on my old setup.. now i just want to upgrade rest of the components and yes, it will be mostly for gaming

Just now, PetrPospi said:

I already have RX570 running on my old setup.. now i just want to upgrade rest of the components and yes, it will be mostly for gaming

Ah then carry on, GPU upgrade can always come later. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

10 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Ah then carry on, GPU upgrade can always come later. 

ok, so you dont see any problems with this CPU x RAM x MB x GPU combo?

Just now, PetrPospi said:

ok, so you dont see any problems with this CPU x RAM x MB x GPU combo?

Not really, apart from I'm slightly skeptical of the RAM as Kingston wouldn't play nice with my old 2200G and basically BSOD-ed the crap out of my friend's Ryzen 1700 the entire time we tested it with his rig

Thats about the only concern I have anyway, maybe I was just unlucky.