E3-1281 v3 delid quetion

Hello all,

I have question. I own E3-1281 v3 CPU and i was thinking to change TIM under IHS. I saw that some Xeons had TIM under IHS and some was solder. Maybe someone knows what E3-1281 v3 has under IHS?

Why i want to delid? I noticed that temps of CPU package and individual cores goes over 80 C even after changing TIM.

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

I noticed that temps of CPU package and individual cores goes over 80 C even after changing TIM.

Very normal if you're using the Intel stock cooler. Otherwise undervolting will do

13 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

Maybe someone knows what E3-1281 v3 has under IHS?

Paste. Xeons with less PCIe lanes than 20 have been soldered since Ivy Bridge (E3 v2, equivalent of Core 3000 series) till Coffee Lake.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Actually i'm using it on my H97i ITX MB with non Intel cooler Prolimatech Samuel 17 with Noctua fan (high static preasure) and Thermal Grizly TIM.

E3-1281 v3 has 16 PCIe lanes so is it soldered according to you?

29 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

Hello all,

I have question. I own E3-1281 v3 CPU and i was thinking to change TIM under IHS. I saw that some Xeons had TIM under IHS and some was

What CPU cooler and what case? It doesn't really use much power so it shouldn't run too hot with a decent heatsink

you can run up to like 90C just fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Lord Nikkon said:

Actually i'm using it on my H97i ITX MB with non Intel cooler Prolimatech Samuel 17 with Noctua fan (high static preasure) and Thermal Grizly

What on earth...
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=157

Is your case just really short?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Actually it's big and soon i will start makeing custom loop on it (all parts already ordered) and i was thinking then i will take all PC apart i will also delid CPU to improve it's thermal characteristic. My friend is using Samuel on really OC i5 but with delided IHS and it's really better. 

I'm using Obsydian 250D but when i was checking this CPU and i got such a temps CPU and MB was on my desk and Fan was running on full speed. To be honest i was testing it on Prime95.

I like this tiny PC thats why i'm changing cooling sollution and want change TIM but i need to be sure that i will not kill CPU due to soldered IHS. That's why i'm asking.

4 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

Actually it's big and soon i will start makeing custom loop on it (all parts already ordered) and i was thinking then i will take all PC apart i will also delid CPU to improve it's thermal characteristic. My friend is using Samuel on really OC i5 but with delided IHS and it's really better. 

I'm using Obsydian 250D but when i was checking this CPU and i got such a temps CPU and MB was on my desk and Fan was running on full speed. To be honest i was testing it on Prime95.

I like this tiny PC thats why i'm changing cooling sollution and want change TIM but i need to be sure that i will not kill CPU due to soldered IHS. That's why i'm asking.

The Xeon is basically an i7 4790 +100MHz, it'll use paste almost certainly. I would guess the not amazing temps are from the small cooler though, is the fan at 100%?

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

Actually it's big and soon i will start makeing custom loop on it (all parts already ordered) and i was thinking then i will take all PC apart i will also

Hold on, you're spending way too much on such an old platform. It's not worth delidding that CPU especially when you're about to use a 240mm AIO on it.

If your case doesn't have a mesh front it likely just has bad airflow, check the temperature with the side panel off of the case.

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Hold on, you're spending way too much on such an old platform. It's not worth delidding that CPU especially when you're about to use a 240mm AIO on it.

If your case doesn't have a mesh front it likely just has bad airflow, check the temperature with the side panel off of the case.

My case looks exactly like this- https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-250D-Mini-ITX-PC-Case/p/CC-9011047-WW

It has 200mm front fan (will replace it with my old 140mm rad from diffrent project) also i can put thair 240 mm rad (from broken client PC ;) ) pump i had with res and i will use Koolance 380i cpu block which i bought from my friend (only 10 euro) everything what i need to buy is pipe, fittings and coolant. 

25 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The Xeon is basically an i7 4790 +100MHz, it'll use paste almost certainly. I would guess the not amazing temps are from the small cooler though, is the fan at 100%?

yeah that's why i will put together loop, put coolant and check. If temps will go down - fine and let it be. If not i want to delid it. (Generally i want to delid it :) )

I have another PC for triple AAA games made on LGA2011 CPU and with 1080Ti it's great but i want something smaller for my wife for work, this PC will be enough for her (especially that most of the parts are from another PC's). Modding old comps are great and buying new platform with rams, cpu, mb is not needed int this case.

41 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

It doesn't look like the front actually has any intake, what's your temperature difference with the front panel removed?

Spoiler

Temps which i told you, i got when MB with CPU was laying on my desk out of case. 

Case has front went mounting place - LINK I have 200mm fan there from Noctua.

Generally Samuel is very powerfull cooler but i want to make silent PC and single small radiator with even great Noctua fan will not be the best solution for this CPU.

Still I'm looking for confirmation what is under IHS. Maybe someone has E3-1271 v3. They are almost identical CPU with diffrent multiplier. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Nikkon said:

Temps which i told you, i got when MB with CPU was laying on my desk out of case.

I would just suggest that you put your money towards an upgrade rather than fixing the temps on an old system.

an R5 2600 + B450 board + DDR4 3200mhz CL16 is like $250

Spoiler

As i mentioned before - most of parts which i has, had been salvaged from other compters/servers so cost of all PC was less than 30$. I want to used that and i made this topic not to justify expenses on this PC because they was minimal. I just asking for possibility of deliding E3-1281 v3.

I have 16GB of ram which i will use, same as old gtx960. I will not put to garbage still pretty good PC which my wife will use for her work.