Looking to build a 3D printer from scratch.

neloy

So i'm looking to build a 3D printer from scratch for as cheap as possible. I just thought I would make a post here if anyone had any ideas or tips that could help me. My end goal is to build a printer and then create an easy guide for anyone else who wishes to do the same.

Nowadays it's way cheaper to buy an entry level printer than the components necessary to DIY one.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Yeah I know, but the whole point is that I build it from scratch. Im aware of a bunch of pre designed kits out there but that is also not what im looking for.

Look into the old reprap stuff maybe. But you're going to come out with something much inferior to what the recent improvements have brought.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Dont bother building your own, get a kit. We built 2 printers with individual parts (i3 clones, one reprap and one marlin custom one) although my Anet A8 is janky at best I still get far more successful and decent prints than my friends i3 clones. If you want to learn, and burn your money away go ahead build your own but if you want to learn but also have decent prints, %100 get a kit or prebuilt unit (something like Ender3 is what I would suggest)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

That's quite ambitious. I hope you know how much work you're in for. If constructing it isn't going to be tedious enough the software programming is going to be a whole other beast hurdle.

It should be possible to use a Pi and a series of stepper motors for this. I can't really advise you beyond this though. I'm not a huge hobby electronics person.

Also, if you cant source second hand stepper motors you are pretty much better off with kits. As they are extremely expensive brand new.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It should be possible to use a Pi and a series of stepper motors for this. I can't really advise you beyond this though. I'm not a huge hobby electronics person.

A Pi isn't good for driving steppers due to the interrupt-latency, unless one is programming baremetal-code. Generally all 3D-printers use a microcontroller to handle the low-level tasks of driving steppers and the likes and then there may be a microprocessor to drive a GUI like e.g. Octoprint or something.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's quite ambitious. I hope you know how much work you're in for. If constructing it isn't going to be tedious enough the software programming is going to be a whole other beast hurdle.

I doubt he'd be going "from scratch" to that extent, there's a lot of open source software and boards to use.

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

I doubt he'd be going "from scratch" to that extent, there's a lot of open source software and boards to use.

Yeah I would design my own boards or anything like that, more like I would make a kit from scratch myself and use open source software.