Looking for a Laptop for docking with a Beefy GPU

I am starting University next year and my family laptop broke down beyond repair. They said I was allowed to buy a laptop below 2k$ if I give them my old computer.

I'm looking for a laptop that has to be better than my old computer.

OLD SPECS:

Name:Pavilion 15-ak003ng

• intel i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 GHz
  • intel HD Graphics 530
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
  • 16 GB RAM (unkwn Hz)

I'm at least looking for Thunderbolt 3 for docking and using an external GPU. The CPU has to be good as well not to bottleneck the GPU. It also needs to have a good GPU to do some work (rendering etc.) and also would be nice if it could play games like Apex Legends in a good frame rate w/o the docked GPU. 

Thank you for your help!

Note: below is an attached image of my laptop.

images (6).jpeg

4 minutes ago, alienozi said:

I am starting University next year and my family laptop broke down beyond repair. They said I was allowed to buy a laptop below 2k$ if I give them my old computer.

I'm looking for a laptop that has to be better than my old computer.

OLD SPECS:

Name:Pavilion 15-ak003ng

• intel i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 GHz
  • intel HD Graphics 530
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

I'm at least looking for Thunderbolt 3 for docking and using an external GPU. The CPU has to be good as well not to bottleneck the GPU. It also needs to have a good GPU to do some work (rendering etc.) and also would be nice if it could play games like Apex Legends in a good frame rate w/o the docked GPU. 

Thank you for your help!

Note: below is an attached image of my laptop.

images (6).jpeg

This is a little pricey, but matches your specifications: https://www.eluktronics.com/MAG-15. Also has a really nice tactile keyboard. MAINGEAR sells the same unit at a higher price premium: https://maingear.com/element/

If you happen to live near a Micro Center, this would be a much better value: https://www.microcenter.com/product/602316/1520-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black. This has an RTX 2070 in it, has a 120hz G-Sync panel, and is based off the Clevo PB50EF-G. It has a Thunderbolt 3 port, but with a GPU that fast, you won't likely need that for years to come.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Thinkpad X1E2. I wouldn't get a gaming laptop for university since you'll probably want something that doesn't weigh too much and has good battery life.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Thinkpad X1E2. I wouldn't get a gaming laptop for university since you'll probably want something that doesn't weigh too much and has good battery life.

That's actually a very solid option, didn't even know those existed. I own the PowerSpec 1520 and can certainly attest to the horrible battery life and awful carrying experience. It's thick and heavy, not meant to be moved around that often.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

This is a little pricey, but matches your specifications: https://www.eluktronics.com/MAG-15. Also has a really nice tactile keyboard. MAINGEAR sells the same unit at a higher price premium: https://maingear.com/element/

If you happen to live near a Micro Center, this would be a much better value: https://www.microcenter.com/product/602316/1520-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black. This has an RTX 2070 in it, has a 120hz G-Sync panel, and is based off the Clevo PB50EF-G. It has a Thunderbolt 3 port, but with a GPU that fast, you won't likely need that for years to come.

These two are a bit over my price range and service/repairability don't seem good?

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Looks amazing. However I might have to reconcider my budget. 1.7k seems a bit much still. I have around 1k at hand so I have to work a bit to get this.

32 minutes ago, alienozi said:

Looks amazing. However I might have to reconcider my budget. 1.7k seems a bit much still. I have around 1k at hand so I have to work a bit to get this.

I'd still get a Thinkpad; used/last gen T(s) series, X1(carbon) series, or a first gen X1E.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈