I have $5000 to drop on a PC, what is the most efficient setup for gaming?

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Firebird_Gaming said:

Is ryzen 9 3950x or intel 10th gen extreme edition worth it here?

Yes and no. Yes because it's significantly better at gaming than Threadripper. No because it doesn't necessarily game much better than say a 3700X. 

Threadripper is straight up not for gaming. It's solid for workload, but the 3900X beats it outright and IS a great gaming CPU. 

The 9900K is still pulling the best gaming numbers, and has dropped a touch in price. At this budget, with gaming only in mind I would grab the 9900K (or the 3900X if you want team red.)

10th gen Intel is still a long ways out. 

Dont waste 2.5k on a Titan. Its 2-4FPS difference from the 2080TI for almost double the price. 

Grab a 2080TI and a sick ass monitor. 

As I said, I already have a pair of ROG 4k's. I don't think i'll be needing monitors anytime soon. 

5 minutes ago, Firebird_Gaming said:

As I said, I already have a pair of ROG 4k's. I don't think i'll be needing monitors anytime soon. 

Why even spend that much on a PC then?

Forget about a budget - buy what components you want. Save the rest or spend it on something else if you must.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Titan RTX is a terrible value, an overclocked 2080 Ti will beat it, and you can get 2 of those for barely more. Gives you Titan RTX performance in games that don't scale, and in ones that do scale with SLI the Titan RTX can't even dream of competing at all. Even SLI 2070 Supers will beat a Titan RTX by a large margin in any games that scale well. 

11 hours ago, trevb0t said:

The 9900K is still pulling the best gaming numbers, and has dropped a touch in price. At this budget, with gaming only in mind I would grab the 9900K (or the 3900X if you want team red.)

They did say more efficient, lol. Taking that literally, the 3900X wins. 4c/8t more with lower power consumption and heat than the 9900K/9900KS. Also OP has 4K monitors so the CPU won't be the bottleneck anyways. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So is the verdict that I should get one titan or 2 2080tis? Again, any money I save I don't go back to me, so it's best I spend every penny I can. Better to go over budget then under. 

38 minutes ago, Firebird_Gaming said:

So is the verdict that I should get one titan or 2 2080tis? Again, any money I save I don't go back to me, so it's best I spend every penny I can. Better to go over budget then under. 

I mean, you do you, but I would personally just spec out the components I wanted, rather than the most expensive.

If you go under budget but you still get the performance and capabilities you wanted, who cares?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If I had 5k to spend (okay, no monitors. I get it.) And gaming only in mind, and I see you like RGB, I'd do something like this:

That FTW3 Ultra Gaming card is likely going to match if not beat a titan. The clocks on it are insane. 

You can also say you've got FTW3 if status is your thing. Because it's a pretty elite piece. (EVGA comes with great support and warranties too.)

If RGB weren't such a factor, I'd personally get a Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler. It cools extremely well and is as close to silent as they come. It's a big, bulky, all black air cooler though. 

You could always slap another 2TB 970 Plus or another 4TB 860 Evo in there if you wanna round the number closer to 5k. 

You could also swap out the 9900KS and Aorus Master for:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor $749.00 @ Best Buy
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard $703.98 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1452.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 17:17 EST-0500  

(The MSI Godlike is also a sick looking high end RGB board.)

This would pretty much put you at 5k if plugged into the same build.