What should I upgrade next? On my kind of untouched 2013ish RIG

Hi All :)

Can you nice and wonderful people (a**holes are also welcome ;D) give me some pointers on what to upgrade next? What will be the most impactful without braking the bank?

Here is my current setup:

Motherboard:   ASUS B85M-E
CPU:                Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40GHz

CPU Cooler:    Stock
RAM:          2x  Kingston - KVR16N11S8/4 4GB 1Rx8 512M x 64-Bit PC3-12800 CL11 240-Pin DIMM
                   1x  Hyper-X Fury - HX316C10FB/8 8GB 1G x 64-Bit DDR3-1600 CL10 240-Pin DIMM

GPU:                ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING (Had a R9 270, but it crapped out and had to change it before the current lineup came out)

Storage:     1x  Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
                   1x  WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 -  1TB Black

Case:               CoolerMaster K350 (1x 120mm Fan included (700RPM-ish))

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 600WRS-600-ACAB-D3

Additional fans: 1x 120mm NB (NoiseBlcoker) Ultra Quite (1000 RPM max)

Peripherals:

Keyboard: G710+

Mouse: Razer Copperhead

Monitor: AOC e2350Sda 

What annoy me the most of my current setup:

Screen Tears, framedrops. I prefer smoother gameplay over ultra graphics and crap FPS.

Also I would prefer quieter system, than powerfull but noisy one.

The current chassis fans are almost not distinguishable even at max, but I also think that the cooling is far from OK. 

On Idle the HDD and the PSU noise are the loudest. 

I'm pretty OK with the noise level of the GPU under load, it's very minimal 

But the CPU cooler under load is driving me nuts.as it ramps up pretty high and the wine is strong.

I used the  ASUS ROG FullMark benchmark:

Vulkan: 3651  (60FPS)
OpenGL: 3408 (56 FPS)

My Use case:

- Games when I have time. I play SC2, Overwatch, random indies, Doom 2016 and cant wait for Doom Eternal (which will make my current setup cry).

- a lot of youtube content and general browsing.

I'm mostly aiming for high-mid range performance, as I do not have enough time to game to justify a monster rig. 

I think first on the list will be Monitor upgrade.  Maybe a 90 or 120 Hz 1440p Monitor? I dunno if the current GPU can pump up enough FPS on a 1440p display to justify it. Maybe 1080 at higher refresh rate?

Then MB and CPU. The GPU is pretty new and it's probably the last thing I'll change, as it costed me a pretty penny.

As the CPU cooler noise bugs me, should I go for a new cooler? The LTT branded Black Noctua coolers look sexy AF.

Any tips and opinions are welcome.

EDIT:

1. I don't really have a target budget. Something with good price to performance ratio. I splurged on a new Note 10+ recently and it still eats me a bit that I dumped so much money on a phone. And if I upgrade CPU I would prefer to upgrade to something that would perform well even when eventually I go to a better GPU.

2. I live in Bulgaria, so more or less whatever is available in EU.

A budget and country will help us better determine the upgrades that would work best.

Just looking at what you have and what you want, upgrading your monitor to a 1440p high refresh rate panel would be unwise with your current setup especially if you are already having issues. I'd say the best option since you recently upgraded the GPU and already have an SSD, would be a platform upgrade. Personally I'd go for a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of 3200mhz Ram, and a decent B450 motherboard. Ryzen's price to performance is unbeatable. 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.89 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $111.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $82.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $389.87
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-13 04:29 EDT-0400  

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

35 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

give me some pointers on what to upgrade next? What will be the most impactful without braking the bank?

for the games you play, a CPU upgrade should do the trick. 

36 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

give me some pointers on what to upgrade next?

how much will you be spending?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.79 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($48.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL Evo X II RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($63.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $412.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-13 05:00 EDT-0400

here is for 412$ a silent good system upgrade. 

41 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

just a question, why are you selecting and LPX kit when its quite a bit more expencive than any other 3200mhz kit. 

while also not being B-die, nor does it seem like its CJR, but i could be wrong about it being CJR. 

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

for the games you play, a CPU upgrade should do the trick. 

how much will you be spending?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.79 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL Evo X II RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($63.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $412.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-13 05:00 EDT-0400

here is for 412$ a silent good system upgrade. 

Yeah I was thinking something like this. But is it necessary to buy new RAM? Is the performance going to suffer a lot If I stay on the current DDR3 1600 RAM (at least for the beginning)

I just played DOOM 2016 and 1080p on Ultra (Vulcan) it stays between 40 and 135 (mostly around 60 on open area mass combat), I guess I haven't played on the "new" GPU that much and remember the performance of the old R9 270. 

To be honest I would prefer to buy a new monitor and then upgrade CPU/MB and RAM. For some reason when I use this monitor for a few hours it gives me a headache and that does not happen on my office Philips, that is nothing special but no eye strain.

1 minute ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

Yeah I was thinking something like this. But is it necessary to buy new RAM? Is the performance going to suffer a lot If I stay on the current DDR3 1600 RAM (at least for the beginning)

ddr3 is incompatible with the CPU i listed, same goes with intel CPUs newer than 2016 i belive (ignore mobile CPUs)

so you physically cant use the Ram. 

2 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

To be honest I would prefer to buy a new monitor and then upgrade CPU/MB and RAM. For some reason when I use this monitor for a few hours it gives me a headache and that does not happen on my office Philips, that is nothing special but no eye strain.

then get a good Freesync monitor first, then save up for a new CPU, mobo and Ram. CPU, mobo and Ram will just get cheaper over time. (most likely, no shortage in sight currently)

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:
  10 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

ddr3 is incompatible with the CPU i listed, same goes with intel CPUs newer than 2016 i belive (ignore mobile CPUs)

so you physically cant use the Ram. 

Darn :D That means that my mom and dad will get a new PC :D for the living room.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:
1 hour ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

then get a good Freesync monitor first, then save up for a new CPU, mobo and Ram. CPU, mobo and Ram will just get cheaper over time. (most likely, no shortage in sight currently)

Yeah, this will probably be the way to go. I'll have a lot of @home time due to a medical thing. Maybe I'll ease the pain with a new monitor :D
Any suggestions? I know LTT have a lot of vids on this and I'm gonna re-watch the most recent ones, but still i'm open to suggestions.

1 hour ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

I liked the new LTT Noctua with the orange accents and I wonder if the NH-U125 is adequate for this processor? It's kind of similar to Scythe cooler, or better get the more expensive and big NH D15? EDIT: I just checked my Case ... the max CPU high 148 cm, and both the Noctua and Scythe are over that. I guess i'll be on the market for a new case too eventually :( 

13 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

liked the new LTT Noctua with the orange accents and I wonder if the NH-U125 is adequate for this processor? It's kind of similar to Scythe cooler, or better get the more expensive and big NH D15? 

you can grab the noctua coolers if you want. a NH-u12s or nh-u12A is more than fine. 

you can also just grab a Bequiet cooler if you are looking to reduce noise. 

not sure if you can get the LTT version of the noctua cooler. 

14 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

Any suggestions? I know LTT have a lot of vids on this and I'm gonna re-watch the most recent ones, but still i'm open to suggestions.

what will you preffer?

colors and pixel switch time

or

deeper blacks and slightly worse color?

would you like a 1440p monitor? (you can allways play with the resolution scaler to bring performance up)

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:
27 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

liked the new LTT Noctua with the orange accents and I wonder if the NH-U125 is adequate for this processor? It's kind of similar to Scythe cooler, or better get the more expensive and big NH D15? 

you can grab the noctua coolers if you want. a NH-u12s or nh-u12A is more than fine. 

you can also just grab a Bequiet cooler if you are looking to reduce noise. 

not sure if you can get the LTT version of the noctua cooler. 

Yeah, but I don't have enough space in the current Case. They are too high. I'll have to add a new case to the shopping list to fit these tall coolers. 

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

colors and pixel switch time

or

deeper blacks and slightly worse color?

would you like a 1440p monitor? (you can allways play with the resolution scaler to bring performance up)

I really do not know, but pixel switch time sounds better. 

1440p sounds good. 

Just now, Emanuil Georgiev said:

Yeah, but I don't have enough space in the current Case. They are too high. I'll have to add a new case to the shopping list to fit these tall coolers. 

The nh-U12A is that tall.

There is the bequiet Dark Rock TF. Which is low profile abd an excellent cooler. 

2 minutes ago, Emanuil Georgiev said:

really do not know, but pixel switch time sounds better. 

1440p sounds good. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LFRzK8/acer-xv272u-pbmiiprzx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-xv272u-pbmiiprzx

This one should be decent.

If you wabt to avoid IPS glow and is willing to trade the pixel switch time

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Gm323/msi-optix-mag271cqr-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-optix-mag271cqr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nBkj4D/aoc-ag273qcx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-ag273qcx

Either of these ones seem good

I will note im not good with monitors, so im going of general specs here, but they have good brightness and colors of VA and IPS are good 

11 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

just a question, why are you selecting and LPX kit when its quite a bit more expencive than any other 3200mhz kit. 

while also not being B-die, nor does it seem like its CJR, but i could be wrong about it being CJR. 

Just kind of threw it together, and haven't checked the prices in a minute for 3200 16GB kits so I didn't know some have dropped to below $70. Also Corsair Vengeance LPX 4.31 are Samsung B-die and the newer 5.32 are Hynix 8GB CJR. Either way they should work fine with Zen2 CPUs and the AM4 platform, overclocking shouldn't be a problem with either. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

The nh-U12A is that tall.

There is the bequiet Dark Rock TF. Which is low profile abd an excellent cooler. 

Yeah this seems to be a cool alternative.(pun intended) Currently on full Folding load on the CPU and GPU, the temps are both around 58-62, so maybe the case is kind of adequate. 

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LFRzK8/acer-xv272u-pbmiiprzx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-xv272u-pbmiiprzx

This one should be decent.

If you wabt to avoid IPS glow and is willing to trade the pixel switch time

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Gm323/msi-optix-mag271cqr-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-optix-mag271cqr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nBkj4D/aoc-ag273qcx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-ag273qcx

Either of these ones seem good

I will note im not good with monitors, so im going of general specs here, but they have good brightness and colors of VA and IPS are good 

Thanks, I'll check them out.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:18 AM, Emanuil Georgiev said:

I'm mostly aiming for high-mid range performance, as I do not have enough time to game to justify a monster rig. 

I think first on the list will be Monitor upgrade.  Maybe a 90 or 120 Hz 1440p Monitor? I dunno if the current GPU can pump up enough FPS on a 1440p display to justify it. Maybe 1080 at higher refresh rate?

For 2019 your setup is still good for gaming, now a little better with the RX 580. If you want to save some money on an upgrade you can find a used  i7 your mother board will accept.

As for the screen tearing and skipping try turning V sync on or locking your fps.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:18 AM, Emanuil Georgiev said:

RAM:          2x  Kingston - KVR16N11S8/4 4GB 1Rx8 512M x 64-Bit PC3-12800 CL11 240-Pin DIMM
                   1x  Hyper-X Fury - HX316C10FB/8 8GB 1G x 64-Bit DDR3-1600 CL10 240-Pin DIMM

Also make sure you ram is in the right slots and running in dual channel configuration, this too can effect performance.

As for the monitor, why not go with a nice CRT, 19" or larger, they have a high refresh rate, a resolution of 1600x1200 or higher, a response of 0ms and no input lag, but you may need a good adaptor though.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches