2009 white MacBook not charging

Hello all, just bought a 2009 macbook a1181 off eBay, came today and had it on for a few minutes trying to get into recovery to reset the OS. First time I tried the charging cable fell out and the laptop turned off due to the battery being very very old. Reconnected power, turned it on, booted into recovery again. Set the laptop down so there was no chance of the cable falling out. Loading into the recovery and the laptop turned off and the green charging indicator turned off.

Can't get the charger light to come on anymore so I'd assume the charger is knackered but wonder if there is a chance there could be any other damage to the rest of the system?

Cheers all

Yep, lots of possibilities for the internals to cause no charger light.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

with a charger and battery that old plus the machine most likely having the means to prevent the system from charging in the event of a weird charging state (like being 10 years old) then yeah that'll be a tough one to solve without a new battery and charger

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yep, lots of possibilities for the internals to cause no charger light.

Yeah, know the battery is crap so not sure whether its just not charging or the system is dead

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

with a charger and battery that old plus the machine most likely having the means to prevent the system from charging in the event of a weird charging state (like being 10 years old) then yeah that'll be a tough one to solve without a new battery and charger

Will start with a new charger I think. Wondering if there is anyway to see whether the green light will come on the charger without plugging it in like shorting it out with paperclip or something

1 minute ago, jem.graham said:

Will start with a new charger I think. Wondering if there is anyway to see whether the green light will come on the charger without plugging it in like shorting it out with paperclip or something

the chances the led died is slim , it's more likely the computer itself detect a strange charge state and locked itself down , or the charger detected it and locked itself down , or the charger just died.

You're gonna be in a real minefield of issues as far as getting a 10 year old mac laptop to work again. Not a lot of apple diagnostic people here that know that specific model so i wish you luck

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

the chances the led died is slim , it's more likely the computer itself detect a strange charge state and locked itself down , or the charger detected it and locked itself down , or the charger just died.

You're gonna be in a real minefield of issues as far as getting a 10 year old mac laptop to work again. Not a lot of apple diagnostic people here that know that specific model so i wish you luck

Ah well I'll guess I'll just hope for the best haha. Sucks I just got the thing too

12 minutes ago, jem.graham said:

Wondering if there is anyway to see whether the green light will come on the charger without plugging it in like shorting it out with paperclip or something

No there isn't, the charger and mac have a communication line going between them and the LED will only turn on if both work and successfully talk together.

The charger also doesn't output any power until the mac has told it to.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No there isn't, the charger and mac have a communication line going between them and the LED will only turn on if both work and successfully talk together.

The charger also doesn't output any power until the mac has told it to.

Right got you, thanks for that

Old batteries are known to have issues charging and holding charge.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Note that the green light is unrelated to the battery, it will come on even if there is no battery present.

So it's either a faulty charger, or an actual hardware problem in the mac.

F@H

GPD Win 2